New to RPI 2 and have a few questions !!

DJB

Nov 2, 2014
OK here goes, I did try to research this but it still seems confusing, so I figured I'd post here.

1) I had transferred a few Addons on my SD card to install on the RPI using OpenElec, I can't seem the find them, so I assume this is not possible from what I'm told. So for now, do I simply take the SD card out and remove those files from the SD card. With this being said, I assume I don't really need a 32 GB SD card, I can put back the original 8GB back, if i do that, do I need to simply transfer what I have on my current SD card, and then put the 8GB back in, all should be good ?? (SOLVED) SD card can't be viewed by Pi for other then booting up in OE

2) From what I gather and read from advice from Invisible and Sattekop, I have 2 options to install an addon, one is from a USB stick, and the other is from a folder share from my laptop or using an app on my mobile device. This I'm still confused about, so if the USB stick is the easiest, does it need to be formatted also like I had to do with the SD card ?, and I have to add the USB stick as a source, what is the exact process for that ? Or if you all think sharing from my PC is just as easy, then let me know how I do that. ( SOLVED )

3) Do we have to shut down the RPI 2, or does it stay on all the time ? If we do, do I simply unplug, or do I have to use a command, and if not, do I also keep Kodi running at all time, or do I have to shut that down also. ? (SOLVED) Simply shut down Kodi and unplug the power source once done, from my research

4) If I download a movie, I had set up a download folder on my SD card, but I can't view the SD card, so what is the process to download a move, and then be able to watch and delete when done. IE: in Genesis I set up a download path, which I assume was the SD card, but when I look into Genesis I don't see the download folder in the 4.8.4, I only have my Gensis ? (SOLVED)

Thanks all in advance for your help and guidance, if I have other questions, I'll post them in this thread.

Last edited:

DJB

Nov 2, 2014
Also here is a screenshot of the TV, to show you the image is a little spread out if you look at the time, is there a specific way to adjust the screen to fit perfect ??

(SOLVED) In settings, simply went into, settings/appearance and hit Zoom to level out the image.

Last edited:

DJB

Nov 2, 2014
OK, figured a few things thanks to Invisible.

Put the (2) 3rd party addons on my USB stick and the RPI 2 recognized it right away, and was able to install them. I was also able once the stick was in, I then got the download tab for Genesis, so it seems I'm able to download the movies now, which I'm testing as I type.

DJB

Nov 2, 2014
Another question, once movie is downloaded, is there another way to view, what I'm doing now is having to go to File manager, then click on my USB stick, then right click and hit switch Media, to be able to play.

Is there a way to create a shortcut to my downloaded movies and simply play from there, or is this the only way to view. (Solved)

Went to Videos, Files, and USB stick/Movies and created a Fav, now I simply open the Fav and all my movies are there to play. Hope this helps someone else too

Last edited:

josh3794

Jan 20, 2013
Also here is a screenshot of the TV, to show you the image is a little spread out if you look at the time, is there a specific way to adjust the screen to fit perfect ??

In system settings there is a video calibration option that you can use to adjust kodi to your screen. I don't remember exactly where. It's in the same option list as the screen resolution.

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Another question, once movie is downloaded, is there another way to view, what I'm doing now is having to go to File manager, then click on my USB stick, then right click and hit switch Media, to be able to play.

Is there a way to create a shortcut to my downloaded movies and simply play from there, or is this the only way to view. (Solved)

Went to Videos, Files, and USB stick/Movies and created a Fav, now I simply open the Fav and all my movies are there to play. Hope this helps someone else too
The best way to achieve this...
Once you have a suitable folder on your external hdd or usb stick.

Go-to filemanager.
Add source..
A box pops up...
Select the folder on your Usb stick which has your movies in..
In the bottom part name the source for example movies.

Now back out of the file manager to main menu
Go-to videos >
Add files >
Select your added folder (movies)
Then choose a scraper eg Movies/Tv

Let it scrape...
You will now have a extra item on your skin called movies, all your movies will have fanart and nice posters (meta data).
you can do the same with TV shows and content from Genesis etc.

Check out the tutorial videos from tvaddons for more information :)

Sorry I'm a bit brief today's it's a busy one ;)
A

Last edited:

DJB

Nov 2, 2014
The best way to achieve this...
Once you have a suitable folder on your external hdd or usb stick.

Go-to filemanager.
Add source..
A box pops up...
Select the folder on your Usb stick which has your movies in..
In the bottom part name the source for example movies.

Now back out of the file manager.
Go-to videos >
Add files >
Select your added folder (movies)
Then choose a scraper eg Movies/Tv

Let it scrape...
You will now have a extra item on your skin called movies, you can do the same with TV shows and content from Genesis etc.

Check out the tutorial videos from tvaddons for more information :)

Sorry I'm a bit brief today's it's a busy one ;)
A
Alot of ways to skin a cat, LOL

Thanks for the info, for now he way I have it set as a Fav now is easy and quick also, down the road I'll try it your way, just to give it a whirl.

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
@DJB
Check this out from the official Kodi wiki
(obviously the skin will be slightly different)
https://youtu.be/EkWYxqoOF3c
Source..
http://kodi.wiki/view/Video_management

In regards to question 1 above.
I'm going to take a guess and assume that you downloaded your addon (zip) on a Pc and then transfered it to your SD card using the PC.
If you did, your addon "zip file" will be on the Fat 32 partition of your SD card. This partition is only used for booting the raspberry pi, once booted the pi runs from the second partition which is Ext4 format. Unfortunately Windows cannot read Ext4 partitions.

Although you can still access the Fat32 partition of the SD card while the pi is running, you don't really want to be putting anything unnecessary in there.

Last edited:

DJB

Nov 2, 2014
OK, wanted to try to transfer files from a windows base PC to the RPI 2 on OpenElec, using Filezilla.

I thought I could simply add the IP address and the standard PI username and password, but I keep getting an error message, so I guess I'm missing a step or a process to do this, can someone explain the proper process to do so.

I do have the proper IP entered, username and password, I've switched to Protocol SFTP, using port 22 as others have mentioned, and logon type set to normal, with Pi username and password entered, and I get the error message below, I'm guessing something needs to be entered on my OE on the PI. Not an expert in this, but giving it a whirl, LOL

Error: Authentication failed.
Error: Critical error: Could not connect to server

DJB

Nov 2, 2014
OK, I was able to log into Openelec from Filezilla, but from there I'm lost, I see some root directories, but do not see my USB stick that is plugged in there. and I want to be able to transfer 3rd party addons there to install, any help would be great.

DJB

Nov 2, 2014
Ok was able to figure it out was using the wrong username and password, working fine now, for the root folders

Haven't figured out how to get to my USB drive that is connected, LOL

Last edited:

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Ok was able to figure it out was using the wrong username and password, working fine now, for the root folders

Haven't figured out how to get to my USB drive that is connected, LOL
When you log in via ssh it will put you in :---
/storage
So go up a level and change to :---
/media
You will find your ish stick there.

Alternatively just type /media in the address bar of fillezilla

Also some ftp programs need to be setup to show hidden folders.. I'm not sure if Filezilla is one

DJB

Nov 2, 2014
When you log in via ssh it will put you in :---
/storage
So go up a level and change to :---
/media
You will find your ish stick there.

Alternatively just type /media in the address bar of fillezilla

Also some ftp programs need to be setup to show hidden folders.. I'm not sure if Filezilla is one
Got it thanks :)

DJB

Nov 2, 2014
Have another issue, I can't always connect to my RPI 2 when I type in the Static IP in the IE browser or if I use my Filezilla, sometimes it works and others times I can't connect. I've tried rebooting RPI 2, also the router, I also click on refresh network in the Openelec network settings, but this morning for the life of me, it won't connect for me to transfer a file. Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue. I did check the IP, to make sure it has not change, and still is the same, and I'm able to use the RPI 2 fine to watch shows, so there is an internet connection.

lizardkng

Dec 17, 2014
Regarding transferring addons...I find that making a shared folder on the PC and simply downloading the addon zips into it...then "Install from zip" - then browse to the folder from the Pi, to be easiest for me.

DJB

Nov 2, 2014
Regarding transferring addons...I find that making a shared folder on the PC and simply downloading the addon zips into it...then "Install from zip" - then browse to the folder from the Pi, to be easiest for me.
Kool I'll have to try that next time.

in the meantime, I fixed my issue, not sure why it happens from time to time, maybe the surges we get here in S FL. I simply had to reboot all my devices, unplugged, Modem, Router and PI, then plugged Modem back in, once ready, then I plugged the router and once that was connected, then I plugged the RPI 2, and was able to connect again.

I need to figure how to make a Box addon, this way I can store all my files on there, and installed right from the addon, LOL

DJB

Nov 2, 2014
The only issue with sharing a folder main PC needs to be on the share, maybe I'll create a shared folder hooked to the router.

DJB

Nov 2, 2014
Everytime I get to the point to browser the path, and the folder shows, I click on it to save and it keeps coming up Lock Pref for SMB, I have all password turned off, but yet it still asked, what am I doing wrong here.

I'm going to try on my laptop now to see if it does the same.

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Windows is a pain in the backside.
Ive had an issue sharing in the past with Windows Vista which we all know is horrible.

The only way I could get round it was to Share the 'User/Public" folder on my PC.
I then moved the bits I wanted to share (in my case it was music) from my profile folder, to the Public folder, and it strangely seemed to work fine.
My personal profile folder just kept reverting and not seemed to save the settings, but that's Windows lol.

Anyway maybe worth a go..... Also have you got any Firewalls or Anti Virus programs that may be blocking the conection?

If it's just for downloading addons, and you have an Android phone you could always download the addon to your phone, (by default Android sticks it in the download folder) There is a free app on the Playstore called FTPcafe which you can use to just transfer the zip file from your phone onto a temp folder of your pi, and install from that, then delete it.

I use my phone all the time, to interact with the pi saves me messing around turning computers on etc.
Off Topic --- Juicessh is also great just like Putty but on your Phone ;)

Last edited:

DJB

Nov 2, 2014
Windows is a pain in the backside.
Ive had an issue sharing in the past with Windows Vista which we all know is horrible.

The only way I could get round it was to Share the 'User/Public" folder on my PC.
I then moved the bits I wanted to share (in my case it was music) from my profile folder, to the Public folder, and it strangely seemed to work fine.
My personal profile folder just kept reverting and not seemed to save the settings, but that's Windows lol.

Anyway maybe worth a go..... Also have you got any Firewalls or Anti Virus programs that may be blocking the conection?

If it's just for downloading addons, and you have an Android phone you could always download the addon to your phone, (by default Android sticks it in the download folder) There is a free app on the Playstore called FTPcafe which you can use to just transfer the zip file from your phone onto a temp folder of your pi, and install from that, then delete it.

I use my phone all the time, to interact with the pi saves me messing around turning computers on etc.
Off Topic --- Juicessh is also great just like Putty but on your Phone ;)

I'll check the Public Shared folder and see

No AV or firewall blocking. I'm able to see the folder, I simply am asked to enter a username and password, I'll post a screenshot.

I can use Filezilla with no issues, but I wanted simply to share the moves I have on my Windows PC, for viewing on my RPI 2 without having to transfer to the RPI 2.