New to VPN

califire21

May 7, 2016
Greetings everyone. I hope I'm not creating a duplicate thread for this issue I'm having but I search through the forums as much as I could to find some answers. To no dismay, here I am!

I've used kodi for about 5 years now. I was intrigued to read about using a VPN, so I went ahead and purchased NordVPN's 3 year deal hoping it would give me better access to streams that I would normally not be able to see since I live in the USA. However, I'm not seeing any difference in streaming. I still cannot access all of the streams which should be available? Could it be the way the NordVPN settings are set? Also, using the VPN slows down my download & upload speeds drastically, even when I select the closest server? I have FiOS 150mb both up & down but with the VPN the most I get is 120mp down & 20mb up.

Any ideas and direction on what I could do to improve this would be the upmost appreciated! :)

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
What streams are you trying to get? A VPN should allow you to connect to streams that are geo blocked. Exemple, if you are trying to watch a show that is only streamed in the UK, you would connect your VPN to a UK server. This will fool the stream in thinking that you are in the UK and will allow you to watch the show. It will not give you more streams on shows that are not Geo Blocked or that you would normally be able to access from your location.

A VPN will typically slow down your connection. What you are experiencing now in your connection slowing down, it quite normal. As long as it doesn't give you buffering, it is not a problem. If your shows buffer, I am not sure what to tell you, I am not knowledgeable enough in this matter to offer comments on this issue. I would, however, try and use an advancedsettings.xml see if it helps.

califire21

May 7, 2016
Thanks for the info RavRob. It makes me feel a lot better knowing it is just my lack of knowledge and not the software. I'll do some research and gather intel to mess with those advance settings.

;)

Thomas Reynold

Oct 14, 2019
I myself a VPN user because of my hobby towards sports, primarily Football and league matches, But as I live in the USA so I am unable to see sports much of the International channels easily Like BT sports and Channel 4 so in this case I use VPN and I am very much happy with my service provider, Yup I have heard about NordVPN too but its a bit costly so in this regard I use PurerVPN and currently they are giving 88% off on 5 y Plan, You can try it if you haven't bought it yet.