Newbie Trying to Update Kodi on Fire TV

Indigo Jon

Jun 8, 2015
First, I want to express a big "thank you" to all of you developers who have spent so many hours making Kodi what it is...I really appreciate it and wish I had the technical ability to help out, but since I don't, I hope my appreciation counts for something and gives you satisfaction knowing your efforts are truly appreciated.

I have been running Kodi 14.1 on a Fire TV box, and I noticed that a Kodi update to 15.2 was stable, so thought I would run that. I connected my PC laptop, downloaded the Android _apk ARM to the laptop, and tried to follow the instructions. I navigated to the folder containing the downloaded _apk, but when I try to run "adb kill-server" from the Windows command prompt, it tells me that "adb" is not an internal or external command. Probably I'm missing something simple, but would appreciate comments.

Thanks again to all of you developers, and also to the folks who provide answers to Forum questions. It really helps!

tam23

Sep 24, 2013
Scotland

dmcjr22

Jul 25, 2015
You can also use Android Commander to install apks onto Firetv. you can filebrowse your firetv evn kodi files, you can transfer anything to your firetv from pc including folders. It uses a doublepanel window showing pc directory on one side and android/firetv device so you can see and direct wher the files etc go. The trick to access the firetv storage and Kodi folders you have to use the following @ directories you can copy and paste into the firetv directory save as bookmark(right hand side directory)

1) FireTv storage directory /storage/emulated/legacy/
2) Kodi /storage/emulated/legacy/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/

filletboy

Nov 27, 2012
Mass, US
You have to have ADB toolkits installed on PC. Download ADBFIRE instead and then use it to install you apk files.
You don't hafta have ADBFire Jon but if you ever have MULTIPLE boxes (so many that amazon won't let you download apps or play their games) then you WILL require ADBFire.
ADB is an awesome program that allows you to drop any zip file onto your Amazon regardless of how many you have.

So i agree with lgoodknight in this
Its a good program to get used to and quite easy to update KODI

Firestick Junkie

Nov 4, 2015
First, I want to express a big "thank you" to all of you developers who have spent so many hours making Kodi what it is...I really appreciate it and wish I had the technical ability to help out, but since I don't, I hope my appreciation counts for something and gives you satisfaction knowing your efforts are truly appreciated.

I have been running Kodi 14.1 on a Fire TV box, and I noticed that a Kodi update to 15.2 was stable, so thought I would run that. I connected my PC laptop, downloaded the Android _apk ARM to the laptop, and tried to follow the instructions. I navigated to the folder containing the downloaded _apk, but when I try to run "adb kill-server" from the Windows command prompt, it tells me that "adb" is not an internal or external command. Probably I'm missing something simple, but would appreciate comments.

Thanks again to all of you developers, and also to the folks who provide answers to Forum questions. It really helps!
If you haven't already updated it use this video, its how to install Kodi on your device no PC needed, its the same process whether its a new install or an update, it works for both.

Mod Edit - lets go easy on the promotion of your youtube channel, we have MANY guides available to the users right here at this site

Last edited by a moderator: