Newly Jailbroken Apple TV 2 (yesterday) - Worked fine then unplugged and doesn't work

pepe1974

May 11, 2013
I reset my apple tv 2 and did fresh jailbreak then installed xbmc etc. After a little usage the screen froze so I unplugged the apple tv. When i plugged it back in the apple appears then screen goes black. I reinstalled everything again and its working but afraid in-case it has to be unplugged.. Any Help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

XxAnthxX

Feb 16, 2013
Newly Jailbroken Apple TV 2 (yesterday) - Worked fine then unplugged and doesn'

It will be a tethered jailbreak on the newest FW, so after a power off you'll need to connect the pc and do a tethered boot to start it back up, but all your settings and stuff will still be intact.

Last edited:

pepe1974

May 11, 2013
Ahhh Ok so no matter what I will have to do this every time it's unplugged? Hope there is a fix soon..

XxAnthxX

Feb 16, 2013

Just a tethered boot not a full jailbreak, after removing the power....yes.

Don't hold your breath for the next jailbreak.

pepe1974

May 11, 2013
Thanks for the info! Is there a good alternate, more reliable unit than apple tv 2 for streaming from ice films, 1 channel etc? That doesn't require this annoying process.

baruchin

May 7, 2012
Thanks for the info! Is there a good alternate, more reliable unit than apple tv 2 for streaming from ice films, 1 channel etc? That doesn't require this annoying process.
That annoying process is required ONLY with the latest Apple TV software (5.2.1) because of the tethered jailbreak. I am in 5.2 with an untethered jb and don't have to do that everytime I unplug the unit. I you'd made a research prior to 'resetting' your Apple TV maybe you'd found out that you could have stayed and rejailbreak in the software version that you had. Your only option now, is wait for an untethered jb (wich could take a while) or as you ask, look for alternatives: Android stb's or Raspberry Pi

XxAnthxX

Feb 16, 2013

How many times are you planning on unplugging anyway?

pepe1974

May 11, 2013
I guess it was difficult enough trying to jailbreak the first time and I overlooked something. I'm not planning on unplugging but the machine does seem to get stuck from time to time.

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
Somewhere In This Crazy World
wly Jailbroken Apple TV 2 (yesterday) - Worked fine then unplugged and doesn't work

I would look into the android boxes. For more... Pivos had the most on going support... No jailbreaking needed. For more... visit our sister site xbmcandroid.com