No Airplay with Raspbmc and Macbook Pro

mrtwinder

Apr 27, 2013
Canada
I have researched till im ready to quit, so hopefully someone can help me here. I am using a wired RPI connection and when trying to Airplay, I am able to see the raspbmc as an option to select, but when I do, nothing happens, it doesn't let me select it even though it recognizes it there.

From what I have seen for problems and fixes is that "Multicasting" needs to be enabled on my router (Dlink 815). When I do this, I get a failure on the "Server" portion of my wireless internet connection on my mac. I can access my router, but not the internet. Is this an ISP problem? and what can be done to fix this?

I have also tried to connect the macbook wired like the RPI but still the same problem persists.

I have found a post where the user states...

I have been using OpenElec for several months now and the latest build I am running is r13646 from Mar 24. Things are generally working fine but I do have three airplay issues I could use some help with:

Video airplay simply doesn't work; I can airplay music but when I airplay video and hit play on my iphone or ipad, playback never starts on the rpi
For music, when I airplay music, I get occasional "crackling" in the audio playback at random intervals (occuring every 10-30 seconds)... I'm using an HDMI connection between my rpi and HDTV. When I play back the same music without airplay on my iphone or ipad, there is no crackling or corruption thus I know the source music is fine.
When doing a fresh install of OpenElec r13646 from Mar 24, per my post here (http://openelec.tv/forum/124-raspberry-p...y-iphone), when I enable airplay in xbmc with no password protection and zeroconf on too, my iphone and ipad on my home WIFI doesn't detect that an airplay device exists and thus doesn't show the airplay icon (other airplay devices on the same network work fine). The only way I can get it working on OE is to use the autostart.sh file and add the following lines (as it seems like an ipv4 vs ipv6 issue). Any reason why airplay doesn't work "out of the box" without having to use the autostart.sh commands below?

Code:
mkdir -p /storage/.config/avahi/
cp /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf /storage/.config/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf
sed -i 's/use-ipv6=no/use-ipv6=yes/g' /storage/.config/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf
kill -0 $(pidof avahi-daemon)
mkdir -p /var/run/avahi-daemon
avahi-daemon -D --file=/storage/.config/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf

Where and how do i try enter this into my Raspbmc setup?

2.0A power supply, powered USB hub, Raspbmc on SD/USB 3.0

bullsboy

May 28, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
Works perfectly for me on Openelec. One of my RPis had an issue where I had to go in and disable/re-enable it to get it working but that machine had other network issues. My main Pi works flawlessly.

mrtwinder

Apr 27, 2013
Canada
I will try a different pi and let you know. I am trying to download Mettal's Image but it keeps failing, its hard to get the server to stay connected for long enough :( Anyone have an alternate download link?

When I get it downloaded and booted up, I will try that as well. I did try another program that came with a android app to airplay from your phone. It crashed the RPI (still looking into overclocking settings etc...)