No sound via Mini DisplayPort connector to HDMI on Lenovo X1 Carbon with Windows 8

BenEadir

Oct 11, 2013
Hi all,

I've a Lenovo X1 Carbon with Windows 8 which is running the latest version of XBMC i.e. 12.2 and I've installed the XBMCHUB wizard. The X1 has a bit of a quirk in that it comes with a Mini DisplayPort rather than HDMI but they did include a HDMI convertor cable which I've used successfully to output video and audio content to projectors and direct to HD TV's etc.

I recently installed XBMC and I can play everything fine using the Lenovo's own speakers but as soon as I connect a HDMI cable the video signal outputs perfectly but sound remains via the Lenovo's speakers. I've gone in and tried changing the audio settings from "Analogue" to both HDMI and Optical/Coax but when I try those other options not only is their no sound whatsoever but the video signal instantly slows to almost a standstill i.e. it looks like the signal is running in extreme slow motion.

I saw on a previous thread here that this problem was fixed by going into Sound in Control Panel and changing the setting from Analogue to HDMI but that isn't an option for me as I don't have a HDMI port and there isn't a "Mini DisplayPort" option either.

I spent ages trying different settings in the system -> Audio Output menu on XBMC without success so I'm throwing in the white towel and looking for help!!

I hope the above makes some sense and a kind soul will put me out of my misery!!!

Regards,

Ben

BenEadir

Oct 11, 2013
I actually know the answer to this, can't believe how much off an 'expert' I feel like right now!!

In XBMC go into System - Settings - System - Audio Output and set "Audio Output Device" to DirectSound ...... and set "Pass through output device" to DirectSound ..... also.

That sorted it for me anyway. The exact "DirectSound" will depend on what your are connected to.

Hope that sorts you out.

Ben

sitealpha

Dec 6, 2013
I had the same issue. Here is how I resolved it. I thought it may be because I had an HP laptop (and it still maybe the issue) with no Windows 8 video drivers that was slowing my video down and made it look like slow motion so I restored my computer with Windows 7 OS. I ran the same video that I had just ran earlier and it ran at normal speed. While watching the video I adjusted my system/system/audio output from 2.0 speaker configuration to 4.1 and the video immediately went into slow motion. I adjusted it back to 2.0 and it ran at normal speed. I then restored my OS back to windows 8 and adjusted my system/system/audio output to 2.0 on the speaker configuration and it ran at normal speed again. I hope this helps others because I spent many hours figuring this out.

Claudie46

Feb 23, 2014
Thank you so much for the information, I did exactly what you told us what to do with the AUDIO OUTPUT DIRECT DEVICE and it worked beautifully on my tablet surface pro window 8.....but not on my laptop HP....the screen always remain black whe trying to see a movie, very frustrating, do you have a solution ?? thanks.