No zip files

Chrisb57

May 20, 2018
Hi,
I have a Kodi box running Krypton v17.6, which has hd a few problems recently, and as it was behaving a bit strange.

So I reset some stuff, and I wanted to load a few things back on. But I have followed the instructions on several videos but no zip files show, whatever URL I put in. I can get to the URL's in the browser.

So i am following the following the procedure...
system settings; file manager; add source; type in'none' field; url '; give a name; [ok]

back; back; [main menu]

tab down to addons;

back up to the top left box symbol; install from zip file;

then there should be a zip file listed; but it is blank....always. Whatever URL I try.

I have 'install from unknown sources' checked.

I don't know what else to try.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Chris

JNRW

Oct 13, 2014
Can you install the TVAddons own repo? If you have it already installed then uninstall it and try again. A small point but you have to be 100% accurate with your URL typing.

Chrisb57

May 20, 2018
Hi thanks for your reply.
I have tried so many different ones, and I'm sure they can't all be miss typed.
cant show you what I am typing because of some forum rule
wont let me post

Chrisb57

May 20, 2018
ok I am totally fed up with this..
so I have wiped out Kodi altogether on the android box
used the browser from the box
gone to the kodi download site
downloaded the same version 17.6krypton
installed it
first install
changed install from unknown sources
and STILL I GET NO ZIP FILES
surely there is someone who knows what I am missing here
I can get to the same addresses I am typing in from the browser so I know my internet is working

Chrisb57

May 20, 2018
this is the problem...I have done this over and over again....and there are no zip files.....

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
So I reset some stuff, and I wanted to load a few things back on. But I have followed the instructions on several videos but no zip files show, whatever URL I put in. I can get to the URL's in the browser.
If you get to it in the browser, the URL is good and should work.

So i am following the following the procedure...
system settings; file manager; add source; type in'none' field; url '; give a name; [ok]
This step is good but remember the name you gave here for the missing step below.

back; back; [main menu]
Good

tab down to addons;
Good

back up to the top left box symbol; install from zip file;
Good

then there should be a zip file listed; but it is blank....always. Whatever URL I try.
You won't see the zip yet. First, you first need to select the name you gave in the step above. The zips should show after this step.

I have 'install from unknown sources' checked.
Good

If you do the missing step, I believe you should be goog to go.

Chrisb57

May 20, 2018
yes I missed a step, where I click on the name I just saved..

every name I saveed on previous tries, after 'install from zip file', I click on the name I gave it, but still no zip files..

In fact, if I hover over the name with the mouse, the 'url' is stated in all it's glory right at the bottom of the screen, but when I click on the name, expecting the zip file to be listed, it is blank.

I will try and capture a video, although this will be a first, I have never done this before. So it could take me awhile.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
A video with your phone might work.

If you don't have any error when you enter the source URL in the file manager and click OK, the URL should be good. It normally says something like "can't reach, do you still want to save this entry". That is a definite typo or bad URL of sort.

I am starting to think you did everything right in the first place. This means you are having a bigger problem somewhere. I'll have to do some research and see what I can find.

Also, please double check (triple check) that the "Install from unknown sources" is enabled in your settings.

Next thing, you don't really need your source to be added to your kodi. If you can access the URL via your browser, download the zip file for the repo or addon that you want, put it on a USB Stick, insert it in your kodi box and when installing from zip, navigate to that usb stick and install the zip file. You will get the same result as installing zip from source.

Last edited:

Chrisb57

May 20, 2018
[A video with your phone might work.]

I'll try, but really? there is no way to capture the steps? how do all these people make there videos on youtube?

[put it on a USB Stick]

now that sounds interesting, I'll try that

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
To create a video on an Android device is different between boxes. On my Shield, I long press the home button on my remote and select the video I want then go. Not even sure it is possible on other devices. A phone steadied on a table of such or a video camera will also work although not as good as what my shield can do.

Chrisb57

May 20, 2018
ok the latest.

went on my PC..homed in on one url only to test
fusion/tvaddons.co

then got error 503 and could get any further

so I went on my android box, and into browser before running kodi..
then I went to fusion/tvaddons.co

got a load of zip files listed, but didn't know which one's to try, so a picked 3 at random
downloaded these successfully..

went into file manager, and checked in the download folder, and saw my 3 files..

so I started kodi, went into add ons, and the box at the top.
install from zip file; then instead of looking at previous file names, I looked at external sources, and then the download folder.

the files were there, but now I don't what to do with them, or what these files do.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
Not sure what they are so i can't tell you what they do. But all you needed to do at that time, was to select one and it would have installed. Install it and you will then see what it does. Try Animal tv it is working well and you should be able to test your system.

Chrisb57

May 20, 2018
well I don't know what is going on here.....but now it is suddenly all working again.

zip files are there, installed from zip files ok. Loads of updates, almost as if a blockage in a pipe has been removed.