Bug None of the Live channels will play

shikhanshu

Apr 13, 2017
Brand new Kodi setup
- Desktop version - v17.1
- Only two add-ons installed - Ex**us and USTVNow Plus (latest versions for both)

With my USTVNow account, I can login to the website in browser just fine and view live channels no problem.
But in the plugin, when I click on any Live channel link, it just spins for couple of seconds and goes back to Channel list. None of the channels play. It has been like this since about a month (I have already tried completely wiping out my Kodi setup and setting up brand new from scratch)

Log contains errors like:
ERROR: Playlist Player: skipping unplayable item: 0, path [plugin://plugin.video.ustvnow.tva/?name=CBS&mode=play&rand=R8GUM3]

Full (relevant section) of log:
https://logs.tvaddons.co/pamh7oqv8

Please help!

Wodehouse

Jul 9, 2014
As has been reported elsewhere...

Initiate a new USTVNOW sign-up and you will find that it will work.

Free accounts that exceed the 45-day free period currently behave just like you describe .

shikhanshu

Apr 13, 2017
As has been reported elsewhere...

Initiate a new USTVNOW sign-up and you will find that it will work.

Free accounts that exceed the 45-day free period currently behave just like you describe .
Yes, I have read many posts saying a new sign-up will work. Some say, I can use the same email (after deleting account) for a new account. Some say, I need a different email. Some say it did not help them. Some say it worked for a day and went back to old behavior.

So clearly, a new sign-up is far from a reliable workaround.

Also, since the website is able to play the live channels for me, the plugin should too, right? This is a bug in the plug-in and not a limitation of the service itself (45 day free period thingy).

Will certainly try with a new sign-up and see how it goes.

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
Yes, I have read many posts saying a new sign-up will work. Some say, I can use the same email (after deleting account) for a new account. Some say, I need a different email. Some say it did not help them. Some say it worked for a day and went back to old behavior.

So clearly, a new sign-up is far from a reliable workaround.

Also, since the website is able to play the live channels for me, the plugin should too, right? This is a bug in the plug-in and not a limitation of the service itself (45 day free period thingy).

Will certainly try with a new sign-up and see how it goes.
I can assure you that this is not a bug in the addon. I am also not convinced yet that the USTVnow service is actually blocking after 45 days on free accounts. The addon uses the same API calls as the website. However, whenever they make changes in their system it seems to do something that causes issues hitting certain stream servers. This has happened on my paid account as well. After much troubleshooting I have found that if they move my account to a new server it fixes things. For free accounts a new account has always fixed things for me.

If it was something that I could just fix in the addon believe me I would.

I am going to continue to look into this and if I do discover something new I will of course put in a fix.

shikhanshu

Apr 13, 2017
I can assure you that this is not a bug in the addon. I am also not convinced yet that the USTVnow service is actually blocking after 45 days on free accounts. The addon uses the same API calls as the website. However, whenever they make changes in their system it seems to do something that causes issues hitting certain stream servers. This has happened on my paid account as well. After much troubleshooting I have found that if they move my account to a new server it fixes things. For free accounts a new account has always fixed things for me.

If it was something that I could just fix in the addon believe me I would.

I am going to continue to look into this and if I do discover something new I will of course put in a fix.
Thank you for all these details! This makes complete sense to me. And also explains why a new account would work (unless it, by an extreme coincidence, lands on the same server where my previous account was). I will report back after I try with a new account this evening and will confirm if things work. Thank you again for taking the time for a detailed answer! :)

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
Thank you for all these details! This makes complete sense to me. And also explains why a new account would work (unless it, by an extreme coincidence, lands on the same server where my previous account was). I will report back after I try with a new account this evening and will confirm if things work. Thank you again for taking the time for a detailed answer! :)
Absolutely! It is a bit hard to explain since I don't have the full details of the issue. I mean I had to somewhat reverse engineer (actually not exactly the same but can't think of a better way to describe) the USTVnow API to build the addon. It is not like I have documentation on their system. :) However, I have spent hours on end for over a year now with it and feel very confident in what my theory is for this. I am still wanting to do some more research on the 45 day limit thing since that seems to be something that could have changed or at least begun to be enforced.

I look forward to hearing your results.

shikhanshu

Apr 13, 2017
Yes. I can confirm that deleting previous account and re-creating a new account (with the same email/password) makes the plugin work again. Now I will see if it stops working again after 45 days. That will at least narrow down the issue to the 45 day limit (somehow) :)
Until then, happy developing!

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
Yes. I can confirm that deleting previous account and re-creating a new account (with the same email/password) makes the plugin work again. Now I will see if it stops working again after 45 days. That will at least narrow down the issue to the 45 day limit (somehow) :)
Until then, happy developing!
Awesome! If you can please let me know if it stops working in 45 days that would really help me out.

shikhanshu

Apr 13, 2017
Awesome! If you can please let me know if it stops working in 45 days that would really help me out.
I will definitely let you know either way after 45 days, so you can rule this out as a cause (if it still works for me after 45 days).

Meanwhile, might I suggest making a sticky post on this forum suggesting that re-creating a new account is a reliable fix for free account holders for whom live channels don't play. I saw many posts on this topic (and foresee many more), so having a sticky post that jumps out will avoid many duplicate posts!

Thank you for the awesome plugin and all your efforts! I have deep respect for devs like you who create and maintain cool stuff like this plugin, and offer it free of cost!

wussery

May 8, 2014
Problem Resolved

I will definitely let you know either way after 45 days, so you can rule this out as a cause (if it still works for me after 45 days).

Meanwhile, might I suggest making a sticky post on this forum suggesting that re-creating a new account is a reliable fix for free account holders for whom live channels don't play. I saw many posts on this topic (and foresee many more), so having a sticky post that jumps out will avoid many duplicate posts!

Thank you for the awesome plugin and all your efforts! I have deep respect for devs like you who create and maintain cool stuff like this plugin, and offer it free of cost!
Creating a new account with a different email was the trick for me. I had set up an account with USTVNOW over a year ago and should have realized that the 45 day promo was the problem for me NOT getting any channels. When I setup a new account with a different email I can now view the free channels for another 45 days.

Custo481

Apr 14, 2017
I don't think it's the USTVNow website. I upgraded Kodi as a clean install and was able to use the addon a few days. I installed a couple more addons and then USTVNow stopped working. I had my USTVNow account since Sept. of last year. According to USTVNow the 45 day trial is only for HD quality after that it transfers to a lower quality. Which that could be the issue. The addon itself or Kodi may not handle the lower quality.

Deleting my USTVNow account and re-registering using the same email fixes the issue. It wouldn't matter old email and password or new.

At one point I thought USTVNow was having issues due to other addons that may be using USTVNow's protocols or api keys. Which rendered this plugin with protocol script errors.

That's my 3 cents.

shikhanshu

Apr 13, 2017
should have realized that the 45 day promo was the problem for me NOT getting any channels
I don't think so. I have had my free account since about 1 year too, and never had any issues with viewing the free channels either on the website or in the Kodi plugin until quite recently (maybe 3-4 weeks ago). So something else has changed in USTVNow's systems that started causing this.

Custo481

Apr 14, 2017
After creating my new account not only did USTV start working but the same channels in another adon starting working. I have 3 channels without sound same for the other addon with exact same channels. I'm leaning towards that other addon causing this addons issues due to the fact the other addon has no account or login info within settibgs.

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
After creating my new account not only did USTV start working but the same channels in another adon starting working. I have 3 channels without sound same for the other addon with exact same channels. I'm leaning towards that other addon causing this addons issues due to the fact the other addon has no account or login info within settibgs.
I doubt they are directly related. What is the other addon so I can look into it.

Erryosia

Apr 15, 2017
Am experiencing the same issue as described in this thread and have a follow-up observation...

Whilst Live TV is not playable (I click a channel, see a spin of the wheel and after a few seconds it stops), when I click to see on one of my Recordings: the recorded show plays all OK!

So, my account is obviously being picked up just fine...

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
Am experiencing the same issue as described in this thread and have a follow-up observation...

Whilst Live TV is not playable (I click a channel, see a spin of the wheel and after a few seconds it stops), when I click to see on one of my Recordings: the recorded show plays all OK!

So, my account is obviously being picked up just fine...
It is not a matter of your account being "picked up". The Live TV streams come from different servers than the recordings. So sometimes the Live TV is not working but the recordings do. The fact is for whatever reason when they make changes it causes server auth issues. This sometimes happens in a browser as well, but a lot of people see the issue in the addon and then don't in their browser and assume that the issue is with the addon. However, the issue is that the browser is hitting different servers. There is no good way to force the addon to hit specific servers. It just uses what their API gives back and they don't always match the ones in your browser. So paid accounts should ask them to move them to a new server. Free accounts should open a new account. That is the fix right now. Generally this stops being an issue after they stop messing with their system. I have never seen it last this long or affect so many users before, but this is displaying the same behavior that I have seen many times.

Erryosia

Apr 15, 2017
I would consider re-creating my account but have a concern that needs clarification about the whole process.

I presume I would need to effectively delete my account - and then simply create a new one with the same credentials.

Even though I have just a free account, I do have DVR credit on my account - allowing more recording time on the account (and is acquired from recommending new user sign-ups).

I would logically presume that a "delete" process would expunge all previously recorded details of the account, including any DVR credit. If so, then the delete and re-create account workaround is not an option for me (and anyone else that has DVR credit).

Would be particularly interested to hear from anyone that has DVR credit and gone through the "delete and re-create account" process...

Erryosia

Apr 15, 2017
Although I have free account, I do have DVR credit on it (which allows additional record time when you get new users to sign-up).

If I was to delete my account and re-create it using the same credentials, my logical perception would be that the delete process would expunge any previous details including any DVR credit.

If that is the case, that is not a viable option for anyone wishing to retain any DVR credit they may have on their account.

Does anyone have any experience/info as to what happens with DVR credit during the delete and re-create account process?

Custo481

Apr 14, 2017
It's Goodfellas 2.0, That's who I'm blaming but yesterday. I was going to watch a Sundays tv show and that also had no sound. Not only that it would have been recorded off the stations I have no sound for.

At this point, Kodi bug?

arucci

May 7, 2017
I created a new account as well which corrected the issue. But a quick thought. I may have interpreted this incorrectly but when I initially signed up last August 2016, I understood the 45 days was for HD. It has been working for me until a couple of weeks ago in SD. I looked at the website again and for the basic plan it states "HD for 45 days". I vaguely remember reading somewhere that after the 45 days it defaults to SD and will continue to be free but I can't for the life of me find it. Does anyone know if this is no longer the case or did I misinterpret? No biggie, just wondering. I can always re-create my account after 45 days.