NUC BIOS and Boot Order Problems

jokster

Staff member
Jan 3, 2013
Tír na nÓg
i really hope someone can help me out here as im pulling my hair out over this one.

i have an nuc DC3217IYE running openelec.
i was going to update it it to the latest version of OE and going for a fresh start.
so i made the installer on a pen drive as normal and plugged it in to my nuc (this is the same pen drive that i installed OE on it in the first place so its compatible for sure).
boot went straight to OE so i went into the bios to change the boot order.

now this is where it gets hinky

everything was listed in the boot order with the msata 1st and usb second.
so i go to move the usb to top of the list and nothing happens,
after a bit of messing i blame the controller and give up - the kid is awake now anyway so daddies play time is over.

when i go back to the bios (later on) nothing is listed in the boot order, but it will boot to OE as normal :mad:

OE recognises that the usb is there, so the ports are fine and dandy.
the bios is either on the latest or the second last one but that doesnt matter as i cant boot to the pen drive to update it and there is no f7 or f10 menu showing.
i have reset the bios and tried and anything else i could think to change in the bios i have, but nothing has worked yet.

if anyone has any ideas please fire them up as i am stumped and none too pleased :(

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
Firstly let me say I'm unfamiliar with openelec and NUC's but I have had similar issues with booting from USB quite a few times over the years on several different PC's.

Usually all was required to fix the problem was trying a different USB port (sometimes I found that a pc with 4 or more USB ports would only boot from one of them)
If that didn't work nearly always changing the USB settings in the bios did the trick but it was a case of trial and error to find the setting from turning on or off legacy support to one PC I was doing that required the forced FDD setting to be turned on.

However my most recent experience when I rebuilt an old PC I had collecting dust into a games machine a few weeks ago was the closest to your situation, nothing would work to get it booting, the stick was a good one I'd used before (and subsequent checks on other PC's show its still good) and the only cure I found was to write the image I was trying to install onto a totally different stick then hey presto all worked.

Dr Peter OBoogie

Jun 24, 2013
The last bit from stammie has for me always been the thing to do, for some reason openelec was often temperamental with different usb sticks Once I even had to change the pc I was compiling the stick from for it to work properly.

jokster

Staff member
Jan 3, 2013
Tír na nÓg
its not OE it the nuc itself,
what gets me is that each connected device was listed (by name) in the boot order, 1st time, and now its blank.
there's nothing to re-order so i cant get usb to 1st boot.

edit

i opened the nuc up and pulled the msata drive out and stuck it back in and i got my boot order back!
they have cleared off again but i did get usb to top of the list so that bit works :)

on a side note it took about 5 goes at getting the pen drive to take the OE setup properly.

Last edited:

Rockcrusher

Oct 13, 2014
Change your BIOS settings according to guide bellow then boot from F10.
Code:
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-033935.htm

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Video Addons 3
J Welcome Centre 2
M Home Theater PC (HTPC) 15