NVidea shield tv

Romster

Aug 16, 2012
looking for a bit of advice I've now got a shield tv and due to the limited amount of memory I wanted to now what type of additional storage option would be the best option for Kodi, class 10 SD card or a USB3 external storage I option? I'm not a serious gamer just looking to use this primarily as my Media centre for my archived films and music cd's as well as my scanned photos.
any pointers would be appreciated
thanks

idokfire

Dec 7, 2015
looking for a bit of advice I've now got a shield tv and due to the limited amount of memory I wanted to now what type of additional storage option would be the best option for Kodi, class 10 SD card or a USB3 external storage I option? I'm not a serious gamer just looking to use this primarily as my Media centre for my archived films and music cd's as well as my scanned photos.
any pointers would be appreciated
thanks
In my opinion, for any device, the best thing you can do is setup a NAS - Network Attached Storage. Basically a hard drive connected to your intranet. A lot of routers have the capability. Personally I use a Pogo drive. Of course you can also use one of your existing computers and share a folder to read from. :)

Romster

Aug 16, 2012
In my opinion, for any device, the best thing you can do is setup a NAS - Network Attached Storage. Basically a hard drive connected to your intranet. A lot of routers have the capability. Personally I use a Pogo drive. Of course you can also use one of your existing computers and share a folder to read from. :)
Thanks for the suggestion I have got a Seagate personal cloud nas but was looking for a ' local' storage solution fr the shield as it only has 16gb` of build in storage which would soon be used up once I install apps and or adddons

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
The mew Shield 2017 does not have a SD card. You have to use a USB stick. I use a 128 gig which is more like an internal storage then external.
If your shield has a SD card slog, you can use a SD card. This would be less obtrusive and therefore, better than a USB Stick. Here is a list of USB you can safely use with your shield
Code:
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4334
If you have a 2015 Shield with a SD card slot, you can use google to find which are compatible with your shield.

andy6592

Jun 6, 2017
You can use at least a 64 GB USB 3.0. Make sure it's USB 3.0. The one I got is a mini so it doesnt stick out. Theyre usually on sale at Best Buy. Also use an External Hard Drive

Dejan.B

Jan 29, 2018
Or if you have spare old hard drive still in mint condition, buy enclosure for it. 2,5 mm are only usb powered so you practicly connect it to your device and thats it, and if you got fat big one 3,5 mm you will need extra power supply your harddrive with adapter witch usualy comes with encloshure.

Romster

Aug 16, 2012
thanks all I posted this quite a while ago and finally went for a usb3 sandisk ultrafit solution on both of my shields and using my NAS for all of my media

Romster

Aug 16, 2012
ok unrelated to my initial opening post but want to know if there is a way of copying and pasting API key strings into the account sections on some addons. I've copied them from text files using esfile explorer but cant find a way of pasting them into the account section on addons. the onscreen keyboard pops up therefore only allowing manual entries and not pasting via a long press on my keyboard or remote. and advice would be appreciated
thanks

CorvusWu

Staff member
Sep 3, 2017
Tknorris actually created a Chrome extension that asked you to somehow push what you had in your computer to Kodi if I recall, but I did not keep a copy of it. Hopefully another team member may have it.

CorvusWu

Staff member
Sep 3, 2017
Tknorris actually created a Chrome extension that allowed you to somehow push what you had typed on your browser to Kodi if I recall, but I did not keep a copy of it. Hopefully another team member may have it.

jetsman

May 21, 2018
I use Kore remote app on my phone which is available in the Google Play store.Best remote for Kodi by far of anything Ive used.I can copy and directly paste in the remote and send to Kodi via WiFi. Hope this helps you out.