Nvidia Shield

robsteeler66

Aug 21, 2015
I sent back my Fire TV and picked up an Nvidia Shield because it has more memory. I don't see it mentioned much though, so I'm not sure if a lot of people are using it. This makes it harder for me to find personalized instruction since I'm a novice with this sort of thing. There are a lot of acronyms flying around and sometimes I'm not sure what they all mean. Also, I'm not sure what all I should do to get the most out of my Shield. I used the config wizard and put the various addons on, and now I'm trying to put Spor**dev*l on like I had on my Fire TV. What would some of you do to get the best effect from the unit?

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
I have two shields I liked the first one so much.

I save my add-ons and user data folders that took me a long time to get just right, then just copy over the ones that come stock in lodi 15.1 then all my entire installation is complete just the way I like it and it's duplicate to any kids install I ever do.

Look here in the forum for Spo*ts De*il add on installation thread. Once you get kodi the way you like it copy those files I mentioned to a card or hard drive so you always have them then you'll never have to struggle again to build it the way you want it.

Good luck

Will Fielding

Feb 9, 2015
Hi TheLion, you mention that you really like the NVIDIA shield, I have been looking to purchase either this or the Chromebox.

I have a quick question, how fast is the shield in loading sources on SA*TS or Genesis, would it take 5, 10 or 20 seconds to load up all the individual links?

Have you any experience with the Chromebox do you know how it compares speed wise ?

Thanks

Thank

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
The shield will blow away the chrome box it's not even comparible it's like comparing an apple to an orange.

As far as I know the shield is the fastest android device out there other than a windows custom made machine with 32gb ram memory

Everything I click on is instant with the shield there is no time lags, I've been messing with xbmc foir 10 years now and 25 different devices, this one is superb in every way, windows pcs are good boxes too, the hp stream mini in particular is also a superb box, those are the only boxes that meet my personal criteria, the shield and the hp stream mini and I'm extremely anal in my choices, I own my own business so money is not an issue.

There's plenty of reviews all across the net on the shield, I say buy it, try it and if for some reason you don't like it then just sell it, I'm sure you'll get 90 percent or more of your Money back

Wodehouse

Jul 9, 2014
I own both a FIRE TV and a NVIDIA SHIELD.

While the NVIDIA SHIELD does have 50% more RAM memory than the FTV (3 GB vs 2GB), and is very snappy in navigating KODI itself, it is just a fantasy that the experience will be SIGNIFICANTLY better than a FIRE TV.

And that's because when the source of the issues are beyond the device itself, my 175 Mbps of download speed, and my 3 GB of RAM memory won't result in a much different experience than a Fire TV: Buffering video with still buffer, links will still load more slowly than you wish, and downloads won't proceed with the lightning speed you hope for.

There is no substitute for a device with sufficient processing power. But while the FIRE TV provided a quantum leap forward from the Apple TV, for instance, you won't find nearly the same advance when upgrading beyond it. And only those who value the SHIELD'S features will find paying twice the cost+ of a FIRE TV to make sense.

However, there are many reasons to consider a NVIDIA SHIELD including its expanded memory, significantly better gaming experience, ability to play TRUE 4K video, etc. And 3 GB of RAM memory does make a difference when you want to play the very highest quality video content.

tam23

Sep 24, 2013
Scotland
dont think the copyright trolls will be too happy.understand kodi is a stand alone app.its not their fault we choose to put certain ambiguous extras onto it.

Will Fielding

Feb 9, 2015
I do like to the extra power and the gaming potential so I will definitely be keeping an eye out on the Shield and waiting for more reviews and comparisons to come in:cool:
Thanks all

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
I own both a FIRE TV and a NVIDIA SHIELD.

While the NVIDIA SHIELD does have 50% more RAM memory than the FTV (3 GB vs 2GB), and is very snappy in navigating KODI itself, it is just a fantasy that the experience will be SIGNIFICANTLY better than a FIRE TV.

And that's because when the source of the issues are beyond the device itself, my 175 Mbps of download speed, and my 3 GB of RAM memory won't result in a much different experience than a Fire TV: Buffering video with still buffer, links will still load more slowly than you wish, and downloads won't proceed with the lightning speed you hope for.

There is no substitute for a device with sufficient processing power. But while the FIRE TV provided a quantum leap forward from the Apple TV, for instance, you won't find nearly the same advance when upgrading beyond it. And only those who value the SHIELD'S features will find paying twice the cost+ of a FIRE TV to make sense.

However, there are many reasons to consider a NVIDIA SHIELD including its expanded memory, significantly better gaming experience, ability to play TRUE 4K video, etc. And 3 GB of RAM memory does make a difference when you want to play the very highest quality video content.
I think it's fair to mention if you're going to compare the shield to the fire tv:
Shield doesn't have the cache full problem that fire tv has, the pop up message that haunts most fire tv owners.
Shield doesn't have root concerns, to root or not to root
Shield doesn't put kodi icon deep in the settings
Shield doesnt require blocking of updates so this or that functionality keeps working.
Shield requires no sideloading, everything can be installed via es file explorer or via the network, or micro SD card
Shield actually comes with the Google play store installed (although not all play store apps are available)
Shield can accept a hard drive attached easily

Yes other things mentioned above are very true. Once your computer is faster than the addons, your wait time is for the addons. The shield easily surpasses add on speed as does the fire tv and many other computers.
An old laptop with windows will get you to the same place.

I like the shields because it is a clean, sure, proven way to get me where I want to go and I am more than willing to pay the price. I'm sure my shields will work well for years to come.

If you are on a tight budget there are many more options such as fire tv.
Even though I don't care for the fire tv, I still recommend it if the financial situation calls for it. It's not for me though, yes I tried one but didn't care for it but that's just me.

Will Fielding

Feb 9, 2015
So how much faster are the Fire TV or Shield in comparison to ATV 1 with openelec or a RPi 2 for example

Reading libraries must be faster, loading scrolling hi res skins must be better.

I get quite a hang on my ATV1 when trying to navigate sometimes, it is better on my father in laws RPi 2 but there is still some lag

I just wonder how much better the Shield would be are we talking seconds or milliseconds

Wodehouse

Jul 9, 2014
Both the SHIELD and the FIRE TV will provide you with a VERY snappy navigating experience. The FIRE TV is very fast. The SHIELD is even faster.

If you are coming from the Apple TV experience, you will be blown away by the difference. There is no comparison whatsoever.