old man in future times

jmhng

Jul 28, 2015
just thought i would share.
i was born in the early 50s,. most did not have tv, when we got ours..black and white 3 channels and it came on at 6am and went off at 12 midnight....jeez.....i guess i was in my 20s when the first hbos came out, there was 5 are 6 channels maybe more, was not many.
hughes started direct tv, and charlie ergen started dish network...hummm smart card.
hackers broke into it like a hot knive in butter..me included.
i learned how to build an eprom programer and write my own programs to gain access to free tv.
people made thousands of dollars with this...i learned early that it was easier to sale the programs then to fix the never ending dying cards...i never fixed cards..i just wrote programs...my way of thinking i was not doing wrong. but i did sale them, a lot of them. i got tired of it..gave the programs away for free...and got bashed, bullied, you name it.
by me giving programs for free. i was taking money from those that was selling.
i am glad i found out about kodi, smart media boxes, etc...it should be free, and I hope always will be.
i know how much work those that write code for addons put in.
thank you very much.
if i could remember where my sock drawer is, i would help... but my memory is shot from long term canabis use, and the fact that i am on ss and almost 65.
thanks too all involved with kodi.. i will have tv untill im gone.....

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
just thought i would share.
i was born in the early 50s,. most did not have tv, when we got ours..black and white 3 channels and it came on at 6am and went off at 12 midnight....jeez.....i guess i was in my 20s when the first hbos came out, there was 5 are 6 channels maybe more, was not many.
hughes started direct tv, and charlie ergen started dish network...hummm smart card.
hackers broke into it like a hot knive in butter..me included.
i learned how to build an eprom programer and write my own programs to gain access to free tv.
people made thousands of dollars with this...i learned early that it was easier to sale the programs then to fix the never ending dying cards...i never fixed cards..i just wrote programs...my way of thinking i was not doing wrong. but i did sale them, a lot of them. i got tired of it..gave the programs away for free...and got bashed, bullied, you name it.
by me giving programs for free. i was taking money from those that was selling.
i am glad i found out about kodi, smart media boxes, etc...it should be free, and I hope always will be.
i know how much work those that write code for addons put in.
thank you very much.
if i could remember where my sock drawer is, i would help... but my memory is shot from long term canabis use, and the fact that i am on ss and almost 65.
thanks too all involved with kodi.. i will have tv untill im gone.....
Crap all you are saying here could just be under my name. You are describing me to a T here bro. From programing cards (in my case it was for BEV) to selling programs. I too made a bunch of money in those days. I hate FTA though but love Kodi.

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
I haven't posted here for a while but this seems a worthwhile discussion to be involved in.
I'm not from a rich family and it wasn't until the backend of 1980 that we even had a colour TV,
but even so, I've come to the point I'm at now from entirely different "scenes" from the first two posts here.
For well over 3 decades I've "fractured" the odd copyright law or two and for the first part of my almost 2 decades internet existence I also "fractured" the odd internet law too.
At no point in that time have I made one single penny from my former activities and would never have dreamed of doing so.

To my mind (and those of the scene/s I used to belong to) its just plain wrong to make money off of the backs of others work,
I make a reasonably good living from the hard work and graft I've put into real life without leeching from others work.

I'd also add those that make Kodi wouldn't be too happy with it being equated to free TV, maybe its time this site got behind its TVMC brand instead of the Kodi brand?

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
At no point in that time have I made one single penny from my former activities and would never have dreamed of doing so.
I get what you're saying, but I had to buy the Satellite box and card. They were a pretty penny at that time. Then I had to program it with my own program. Providing such system also came with support when ever the card was down. At the end I wasn't making any money cause my card stayed up for nearly 4 years. There were no free systems either. I was cheap compared to many of my competition.

It was a bit more complicated than putting Kodi and a few addons on a box. I wouldn't dream of making money with something free as is Kodi but something I had to pay for myself was different...

hammerjammer

Jul 28, 2015
oh man i remember the fta days. i thought i was in tv heaven. i had american (dish) and canadian (bev) tv. well over a thousand channels. but as i see it tvmc (kodi) is better. no commercials and i can choose what i watch when i want to watch it. i also came into fta a little late as i only had it for about three or four years before the cards were changed to unhackable. at least thats what i was told.