One brand-spanking n00b says, Hello World!

PESimard

Nov 20, 2013
I'm a n00b to XBMC, and finally discovered XBMCHub. Yay.

Over the past several months, since I discovered XBMC, I've decided to cut the CableTV/SatelliteTV connections and go the Internet streaming route. (I don't mind waiting an extra day or two for episodes of my TV selections. As I'm in the US (East Coast) I'm struck by so much information from elsewhere (i.e. Europe, Asia, Middle East and the Australian Continent) and so little organized for the US markets. I understand the DMCA issues that are complicating US sources, hence my decision to incorporate OTA (Over the Air) digital TV via antenna.

My aim is to incorporate TV Tuners into my Home Theater box (which I'm building), to receive and act as a PVR as well. My goal is to eliminate my personal need for piracy to watch what is freely available OTA, and incorporate those offerings into XBMC with no fuss.

Right now, I'm puzzling over the Add-Ons available for XBMC, as well as trying to learn both Python as well as the XBMC Plug-In architecture. My stumbling blocks thus far have convinced me to write a book about my experiences with XBMC to explain to n00bs and 3l33ts as well just how to make XBMC work best for anyone.

My biggest gripe thus far is the dearth of documentation for the product. I have a suggested solution though. With the popularity of scrapers around here, it surprises me that no one has thought to regularly scrape the library sources and whip them into shape for website publication. I'd suggest two websites, one each for XBMC core and XBMCHub, continually maintained (automatically). The first run through may be time consuming, but a quick scrape when a library is updated might be an easily doable project. This is not my idea, though you'll see where I got it from toward the end of the post. If anyone is familiar with Drupal, another open source initiative, with hundreds and thousands of contributors, this is how the API documentation is kept up to date, with documentation to match, scraped directly from the sources. Changes and additions to the API's are propagated to the documentation from the day the changes are committed to the distributions, and are readily available to anyone wanting to contribute to Drupal. I'm wondering whether a similar scheme might be useful for XBMC and companion websites such as XBMCHub, as it would give developers a chance to use all that usage and commenting work done by others and reduce the learning curves for others, thus speeding further development and enhancement.

Just my 2 cents,
Paul