OpenElec 3.0.1

lowridin_guy

May 10, 2012
Just wondering if anyone has tried it yet and what your experience has been so far?

I will be loading it tonight and will report back.

Discuss.....

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Works fine for me. It does NOT have the improved settings panel where you can backup/restore your system wipe it clean so its like a new setup, mount network shares, etc or the new 3.8.7 kernel like the latest nightlys.. It does have XBMC Pre 12.2 though. They probably do not feel like the new Linux kernel and settings panel can go out as stable yet.

Last edited:

ute

Dec 16, 2012
Whoa , that's confusing

so I am using a usb so do not auto update ? ( state of me ?) ( because if I do it will write to SD ?)

just manual update get image from openelec

am I correct in all this ?

Thanks

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
To make it even more confusing you can also use this method Chis wrote in a post for 3.0.0:

1. Log into RPi using SSH
2. mkdir .tmp
3. cd .tmp
4. wget http://resources.pichimney.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC-RPi.arm-3.0.1.tar.bz2
5. tar -xvf OpenELEC-RPi.arm-3.0.1.tar.bz2
6. cd ../.update
7. cp ../.tmp/OpenELEC-RPi.arm-3.0.1/target/* .
8. reboot

I also like you ute find the manual way of copying the files to the windows share easier than typing all this.
The result is exactly the same. (copy the files to update dir and reboot)

Last edited:

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Whoa , that's confusing

so I am using a usb so do not auto update ? ( state of me ?) ( because if I do it will write to SD ?)

just manual update get image from openelec

am I correct in all this ?

Thanks
Yeah it got real confusing I cleaned up so the thread should be understandable by normal humans now lol.

Last edited:

Funk

Jan 28, 2013
Works fine for me. It does NOT have the improved settings panel where you can backup/restore your system wipe it clean so its like a new setup, mount network shares, etc or the new 3.8.7 kernel like the latest nightlys.. It does have XBMC Pre 12.2 though. They probably do not feel like the new Linux kernel and settings panel can go out as stable yet.
I'm sticking with the nightly's then methinks

lowridin_guy

May 10, 2012
Can you add wifi to this OpenElec version?
In my experience I could add wifi to any of the previous OE builds including this one.

So far this build is working great. No major changes but I do feel like the menu's in add-ons load a bit faster. Videos seem to load a little faster as well.

Of course this could just be a placebo effect! haha

ute

Dec 16, 2012
Agreed does seem faster

Not to hijack.....

But does this mean i cannot ever upgrade by nightly if running a usb stick because it will always write to sd card