Openelec 5.0.8 for RPi2 not working

slimcobra

Jul 24, 2013
I have been on 4.2.1 for the longest time with no issues. Since I was still on Gotham I decided to update. I tried to have Openelec update it's self and that was a no go. Not a big deal I downloaded the 5.0.8 image for RPi2, formatted the sd card, unzipped the img and wrote it to the card. I put the card in the pi and I got the rainbow screen. I could reformat and drop the files from 4.2.1 back on with no issues. I opened the files on the pi from samba and dropped in the update like on read to do and that didn't work. Then I installed the 5.0.8 img for the first gen pi and it works. I am sure it's a RPi2, it has a micro sd slot, 4 usb ports and the board has Raspberry Pi Model B+ V 1.2. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

spanky

Dec 25, 2012
I have been on 4.2.1 for the longest time with no issues. Since I was still on Gotham I decided to update. I tried to have Openelec update it's self and that was a no go. Not a big deal I downloaded the 5.0.8 image for RPi2, formatted the sd card, unzipped the img and wrote it to the card. I put the card in the pi and I got the rainbow screen. I could reformat and drop the files from 4.2.1 back on with no issues. I opened the files on the pi from samba and dropped in the update like on read to do and that didn't work. Then I installed the 5.0.8 img for the first gen pi and it works. I am sure it's a RPi2, it has a micro sd slot, 4 usb ports and the board has Raspberry Pi Model B+ V 1.2. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
the b+ has 4 usb ports on it as well, the rpi 2 says rasberry pi 2 model b v1.1 on the board and the second cpu is on the bottom of the board as well, the 512mb b+ doesnt have that so you can identify it quickly if it is a pi2 by looking at the bottom of the board.

Last edited:

slimcobra

Jul 24, 2013
Thanks for the info spanky. You are correct my pi is a 1, there is no processor on the bottom of the board. Is there a noticeable difference between a 1 and a 2 when running openelec?

slimcobra

Jul 24, 2013
The only thing I can imagine would be better would be less beffering. What else is the difference?

spanky

Dec 25, 2012
the rpi2 has quad core cpu and 1gb of ram vs 512 with the b+ so like invisable said it is quite a bit diff in all around speed.

bromerzz

Nov 9, 2012
Cyprus
The difference in performance is like chalk and cheese.
In addition pi2 beats just about any Android box out there ij terms of loading speed and simplicity in maintenance.
Android boxes = dustbin.