Openelec update failing

lenniepaz

Aug 19, 2013
I got a message saying there was an update for Openelec, so I tried to update my Pi. It downloaded and extracted the files, then rebooted. The main Openelec screen pops up, but I get this error message:

Hustler

Mar 24, 2013
Florida
I get same message with auto update on with notifications on I get update available, update downloaded and extracted but when I reboot I get failed and just shows official 3.2 build... strange. I may need to turn down 950 overclock?

lenniepaz

Aug 19, 2013
I get same message with auto update on with notifications on I get update available, update downloaded and extracted but when I reboot I get failed and just shows official 3.2 build... strange. I may need to turn down 950 overclock?
I think I read somewhere, that if you are overclocked, the update will fail.

MarkRich

Banned
May 13, 2012
It's worth updating yes. I've never had ANY luck updating while being OC above 800. That's why I choose to add the OpenELEC Dev Update tool to my latest images. It disables overclocking when updating and works like a charm. Built in OpenELEC update fails and corrupts cards each time because it doesn't disable overclocking.

I successfully updated to 3.2.1 on 3 cards last night with the Dev Update tool, but the built in OpenELEC config failed each time.

Install From Zip > Fusion > xpert-advanced > rpi > Leopolds Repository

Enable the Dev Update program after repo is installed. It's automatically configured for Official Releases, but go to Addon settings anyways, on the advanced tab you can check disable overclocking during update.

bromerzz

Nov 9, 2012
Cyprus
It certainly works for me. Had to remove overclocking which I had just set up on 7 sd cards and none would take the openelec update. removed the overclock and then added the adv settings and all working fine.
Not using Marks or Tuxens image I think i just downloaded the basic download from openelec website and went from there. So guessing good to go on all setups.
amended
One thing that is noticeable for me is;
openelec under system no longer opens the gui. To open the gui I have to use programs > openelec and then make adjustments as required.

Last edited:

MarkRich

Banned
May 13, 2012
The fact that I can leave my card inside my Pi and update without having to put it into a computer, remove the OC and then update, plug it back into the computer and add OC back, is worth it all in itself. It downloads the update, installs it, removes OC and reboots. Once the update is complete, it applies the OC back. Automation is where it's at. No intervention at all is the end goal.

lenniepaz

Aug 19, 2013
It's worth updating yes. I've never had ANY luck updating while being OC above 800. That's why I choose to add the OpenELEC Dev Update tool to my latest images. It disables overclocking when updating and works like a charm. Built in OpenELEC update fails and corrupts cards each time because it doesn't disable overclocking.

I successfully updated to 3.2.1 on 3 cards last night with the Dev Update tool, but the built in OpenELEC config failed each time.

Install From Zip > Fusion > xpert-advanced > rpi > Leopolds Repository

Enable the Dev Update program after repo is installed. It's automatically configured for Official Releases, but go to Addon settings anyways, on the advanced tab you can check disable overclocking during update.
Worked perfect. Thank you Mark.