openELEC

kcbc

May 15, 2017
Hello I am a new member to TV Addons forum, I have had my android box for almost 2 years now and do my own programming on it. Have been looking at some of the different posts and find them quite interesting. Hope to learn some different ways of utilizing program and video addons for my android box.

Have been looking at using openELEC on my android box, would like to know if anyone on the forum has had any
experience using openELEC and whether it would be worth trying it on my android. Would appreciate any input you could. Thank you very much.

KCBC

gwilly7

May 26, 2014
Broncos Country
Hello I am a new member to TV Addons forum, I have had my android box for almost 2 years now and do my own programming on it. Have been looking at some of the different posts and find them quite interesting. Hope to learn some different ways of utilizing program and video addons for my android box.

Have been looking at using openELEC on my android box, would like to know if anyone on the forum has had any
experience using openELEC and whether it would be worth trying it on my android. Would appreciate any input you could. Thank you very much.

KCBC
Openelec is pretty much dead now, libreelec is by far the best way to go. I have not used on an android box but love it on my pc. Head on over to www.libreelec.tv and you should be able to find the info you need for your box.

jakeyboy

Nov 10, 2013
I used openelec on my nuc and as gwilly7 said it is pretty much dead so I have been using libreelec ever since and it is fantastic.It boots into kodi in seconds.

JNRW

Oct 13, 2014
@kcbc

It is definitely worth doing a bit of research as I have been disappointed that LibreELEC is not available to install on my not so old Android box. If yours has an Amlogic chip you are far more likely to get what you want.

BTW I have seen LibreELEC in action and it is brilliant.

Good luck!

kcbc

May 15, 2017
Thank you gwilly7 for your reply, the box I have is a T95Z plus octacore android box is there any special way that it has to be installed. Thanks again.

KCBC

gujal

Developer
Dec 26, 2013
@kcbc
That box is an Amlogic S912 chip based box. You are better off running Android on that box. It runs Android Marshmallow 6.0, so it will run Kodi 17.3 for Android nicely
S912 is not a well supported chipset, there is an experimental LibreElec build for it, but the developer himself does not recommend using it.
S905 and S905X are the best supported chipsets in LibreElec