Other add-on not supported here

Sara5dawn

Sep 21, 2016
Lately I've been seeing several add-ons on YouTube that are not supported by Tvaddons. My question is, is it safe to install these add-ons? Even saw a video on how to tweak Ex**us so out of curiosity I thought I would ask here.

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
Unless someone knows the ins and outs of the add-on being installed there's no way they can be sure if it's well-behaved or not. Therefore it's entirely up to you whenther you install them or not. The question perhaps you should be asking is what happens if something goes wrong with that add-on so I suggest a try-before-you-buy approach and pick one of those add-ons and contact the author before you install it and ask them a techincal question and see what sort of reply you get.

BTW when anyone posts they have a problem with an add-on that IS supported here and post a log showing the problem I see what other add-ons and Repos they have listed and move right along to something else if there's anything there not supported here. That's my personal approach, others may be different, not that I can read logs that well but using the logic in the first sentence I wrote I have no idea what\if other add-ons are doing - or may not be doing.

Sara5dawn

Sep 21, 2016
Unless someone knows the ins and outs of the add-on being installed there's no way they can be sure if it's well-behaved or not. Therefore it's entirely up to you whenther you install them or not. The question perhaps you should be asking is what happens if something goes wrong with that add-on so I suggest a try-before-you-buy approach and pick one of those add-ons and contact the author before you install it and ask them a techincal question and see what sort of reply you get.

BTW when anyone posts they have a problem with an add-on that IS supported here and post a log showing the problem I see what other add-ons and Repos they have listed and move right along to something else if there's anything there not supported here. That's my personal approach, others may be different, not that I can read logs that well but using the logic in the first sentence I wrote I have no idea what\if other add-ons are doing - or may not be doing.
Thanks I was just curious! I only use the add-ons that are supported here! The video I saw was insinuating that since Ex**us was under new management it wasn't doing so well and offered an alternative which BTW I totally disagree, Love Ex**us!!!!

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
Another question you should also ask yourself is"
"Do you really need another addon"

I only use 2 main addon. I install a few others from devs from here just to try but remove them after a short trial. I also install others (also from here only) if someone has a problem and I want to troubleshoot or replicate their problem. Again, they get removed shortly after.

I use Ex**us and SA*TS for movies and TV Shows. I have Animal TV just cause I love that addon. That's about it. Other addons were installed as part of dependencies.

Sara5dawn

Sep 21, 2016

I only use 2 main addon. I install a few others from devs from here just to try but remove them after a short trial. I also install others (also from here only) if someone has a problem and I want to troubleshoot or replicate their problem. Again, they get removed shortly after.

I use Ex**us and SA*TS for movies and TV Shows. I have Animal TV just cause I love that addon. That's about it. Other addons were installed as part of dependencies.
I too use Ex**us, SA*TS and Pho*nix (for hallmark and Lifetime) I see no reason to add more...
RavRob I still have not been able to locate and install the Beta Repo Release for SA*TS in the settings tho....:confused::confused:

Invincibleinc

Sep 12, 2013
Toronto, ON
THIS. When I first got into XBMC I was so wide eyed about all the stuff that I just installed anything that was remotely interesting to me (and barely used any of it). After lots of trial and error I too came to this conclusion. Quality, not quantity. Ex**us for on demand, USTV for live tv, Spor**dev*l and Cas**way for sports and one or 2 more genre specific (Wrestling) things.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
THIS. When I first got into XBMC I was so wide eyed about all the stuff that I just installed anything that was remotely interesting to me (and barely used any of it). After lots of trial and error I too came to this conclusion. Quality, not quantity. Ex**us for on demand, USTV for live tv, Spor**dev*l and Cas**way for sports and one or 2 more genre specific (Wrestling) things.
A FEW good working addons, IMHO, is the key to a good working system.

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
The biggest risk with all the other add-ons is the repos, you just never know who or what is going to be uploaded and it could 'take over' other addons, especially if you have autoupdates enable...

IMO the best way to install many one-off addons it to download and manually install the downloaded file aka skip installing the repo and just check every so often to see if there is an update to said manually installed addon

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
At the risk of sounding bit a puzzled where do I extract these files to? The Kodi addon folder???
You don't extract it. Just put it on a stick or anywhere you can access the file, go to your settings>Addons>Install from zip and navigate to that file. It will install and update your SA*TS addon to the latest Beta release.

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
Agree with RavRob. I use Ex**us, SA*TS, Pho*nix, and a fork of Genesis, but that is all. With great success!
90% of the time I just use SA*TS. The rest of the time it's iPlayer or ITV Player. I don't really need anything else, there's more than enough content in those 3 addons :)

Sara5dawn

Sep 21, 2016
You don't extract it. Just put it on a stick or anywhere you can access the file, go to your settings>Addons>Install from zip and navigate to that file. It will install and update your SA*TS addon to the latest Beta release.
OK thanks!!