OUYA Game Console wifi vs. ethernet (whats best for you to use)

Qyles

Dec 10, 2013
For me wifi is crap. I really love the OUYA for XBMCs purposes but only through ethernet (it works like charm, even better than I expected) but on wifi it doesnt even load the videos.

Surfer

Oct 1, 2013
I gave away 2 OUYA's for christmas...

First OUYA was given to a friend who lives in a small apartment and he's loving the device. His appartment is very small and he has never experienced any wi-fi issues. He actually told me the other day he was planning on ordering another OUYA for his bedroom.

The second OUYA was given to a friend who lives in a large house. He has been having issues with wi-fi and seems to be generally disappointed with my gift. The device is located a floor below the modem setup. I have done basic troubleshooting (reset internet etc.) and he was still having issues. I had him try to plug the device in the same room where the wireless modem was connected and it appeared to work much better. He decided to run it hardwired and he seems to be really enjoying the device now.

So my general understanding is that there is in fact wi-fi range issues. I have my OUYA set up about 15 ft from my modem and i've personally never had any internet issues.

Kev472

Jan 5, 2014
Netherlands
upstairs i use an apple airport express as a wifi bridge(client mode)
so my ouya is connected to the airport express with an ethernet cable, works great

Kizzer31

Sep 3, 2013
If just using the wi-fi on the ouya you will struggle if taking the ouya upstairs to watch anything so best to download a movie if you want to watch it upstairs for me i just use it wireless downstairs and it works fine

Flipmode

May 6, 2012
WiFi seems to be an issue with the OUYA, my friend had no problems with his Apple TV 2 in the same location, the OUYA not so good.

It ticks me off why they don't beef up the WiFi in a majority of these android boxes, I know it costs a little more but most people like to use wireless, especially people with an older house.

I end up telling people to either use wired or get a WiFi extender.

catoscar

May 11, 2013
I have helped a few friends with their Ouya set-up. Most are disappointed including myself with the Ouya wifi. It seems to only work if you are really close to your modem/router like in the same room / floor. Most friends however have their modem/router set upstairs in a house and want to use their Ouya in the recroom or family room which is usually one or two floor lower. The Ouya fails to do this unless you use a wifi bridge. If the Ouya had much better wifi many more of my friends would invest in this great box.

Kizzer31

Sep 3, 2013
I have found taking the casing of the ouya does help improve the wi-fi i know you shouldnt have to but if it helps why not ;-)

rossdret

Mar 31, 2013
Strangely enough wifi works better than ethernet for me. I have a crazy extreme router though. Belkin Centria. Worth every penny!!!

sheepybach

Jun 23, 2013
Brynna, Wales
Only had my OUYA 2 days and use it in my bedroom and my router is in my man cave next door so about 20ft at most and have not had any problems with my wifi, I checked my wifi in settings and it reported excellant and 60Mb which is 18Mb below my confirmed D/L speed.

TehJonny

Sep 7, 2013
Speaking as someone who has used, Wireless, Power line and Ethernet if you are watching HD movies film etc use Ethernet without a doubt I have used Wireless its okay-ish with SD stuff HD no chance unless you want to have to buffer shit every 5 seconds, Power line again is terrible but these could just be mine power lines I noticed when watching HD movies or TV shows XBMC would just stop playing the file and I would have to wait awhile before re-opening the video, I am now using Ethernet and everything is good can watch anything no problem.

lartomar2002

Dec 23, 2012
Near Kennedy Space Center
Only had my OUYA 2 days and use it in my bedroom and my router is in my man cave next door so about 20ft at most and have not had any problems with my wifi, I checked my wifi in settings and it reported excellant and 60Mb which is 18Mb below my confirmed D/L speed.
Damn, you guys in the UK have much better d/l speeds available than we do in the US. I am using 20Mbps and it seems to be enough for my HD streaming. I could buy as high as 40Mbps from my ISP but that is the highest they go. How much do you have to pay for your 78Mb d/l speed?

Last edited:

sheepybach

Jun 23, 2013
Brynna, Wales
Damn, you guys in the UK have much better d/l speeds available than we do in the US. I am using 20Mbps and it seems to be enough for my HD streaming. I could buy as high as 40Mbps from my ISP but that is the highest they go. How much do you have to pay for your 78Mb d/l speed?
I'm on an 80Mb/20Mb package with 78Mb D/L and 19Mb U/L constant since it was install nearly 2 yrs ago and that cost's me £26 ($42??) a month included is a dual band router and have only had 2 problems and that was to do with a faulty batch of kit. In April they are starting trials in my area of 300Mb/100Mb going up to 150Mb later on. No idea on price or anything but that are insane speeds for a home IMHO.

chrisnewton

Jan 14, 2014
How do you check this in the settings???