Ouya help

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanButler1979

Oct 21, 2013
Hi, i have just specifically purchased an OUYA to run XBMC as i was under the impression it was one of the best platforms to run it. I then Sideloaded the newest Gotham build, and also tried the 'beyond xbmc' programme. But when i click to go into any of the menus, my screen is black! I can hear te sounds of the menu when i scrll etc but the screen is just black. Can anyone pleeeese help. I am worried...Cheers guys

Flipmode

May 6, 2012
Right now you are best to use [url="http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?8220-SPMC-Koying]SPMC Here[/url]

Side load it, when done run it through the Play menu.

Once Gotham reaches final release then upgrade to Gotham.

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
I would run lastest Gotham we are hitting beta 4 and it runs nice on Ouya. Much nicer than any Frodo version (that includes spmc which is ancient by now and should be avoided by all cost with the Gotham android enhanced builds we have now) At this rate before you blink you be hearing devs scream "upgrade to Gotham first" anyway. Heh.

Seriusly it has so many android bug fixes and enhancements compared to backported Frodo versions. Gotham is supposed to be the first real Ouya/Android version, it's been like that the whole time. Both officially and unofficials.

Well each to their own, you have been warned. If there's addon problems ask the addon devs if they will continue to support it. I'm pretty much will (and most actually already do by now) especially if you thank them for their work to. :)

Oh! Back to topic..
I have had problems with flickering and the screen going to black at random menus, if I pressed back the picture usually also came back. A really really odd error.. It turned out to be the hdmi cable that works fine with my RPi btw. Heh

I know this sounds bs but I can recreate the error at will. So try another hdmi cable if you haven't.

Last edited:

josh3794

Jan 20, 2013
I have about a dozen ouyas in the wild that I am managing for people. I found the best way to set it up was to use my pc and load xbmc frodo on it. Setup xbmc with the addons and everything that I want.

Then I use xbmc backup, found in xbmc.org repo, to make a backup of the setup.

Install the latest gotham beta onto the ouya and once it's done its first run install xbmc backup and restore the clean backup that you just did above.

I have no complaints of audio dropouts or video stopping. Everything just works the way its supposed to.

If I start with gotham and install all the addons in gotham the way you normally would, I have issues with audio and video randomly dropping out or streams not working. So something with doing the setuo in frodo first saves the headaches with the setup.

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
It is a specially made version of xbmc for OUYA to fix sound issues in official OUYA release.
With some backports from Gotham to..
But you guys should really move on, have you tried the latest Gotham beta4 that is MADE FOR ANDROID/OUYA and you all be running in a week or three anyways. RC is around the corner and so is final.

And I can't stress how much better it runs, yes I have an Ouya and tried every build out there, ran 3'rd party firmware, and kernels, etc. And TBH its really time to shift your Ouya will thank you so much. Frodo was never meant to run on Ouya and you get a much smoother experience with a build that does. Spmc was made mostly in nessecity, why not get the real thing instead of a hacked build.

And no official Gotham releases does not have crippled audio, contrary it handles audio better than spmc and the version before they crippled audio..

Last edited:

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
@josh
No you are right.. Gotham has no such issues it naturally handles audio and video much better..

I don't see why people resort to old hacked builds when we got a near perfect Gotham at beta stage 4.
The only reason I see for some is N*viX, but you should ask the N*viX developer because time is running out anyway.

The above way is a easy way to clone your boxes, just start with Gotham and you won't have any issues at all contrary you will have a extremely stable and well running XBMC compared to hacked Frodo builds. It has much better audio and video capabilities with 3D, better fps handling, better sync, DD5.1/DTS and it's all rewritten for your system.

A Ouya store version with working sound will never come out since Ouya has to follow the legal path because they made a console with a tegra3 processor and forgot to get DD5.1/DTS/mpeg2/avc1 licenses to go. Getting a license from Dolby now is next to impossible. :-/

The versions from XBMC.org does NOT have these restrictions, they are improved and they are still legal!
I think the road is paved in a direction that is pretty easy to steer. Install Gotham from XBMC.org and upgrade your way through the 2-3 last builds as they get released before final.

I'd love to see a shred of argumentation of why to go with hacked Frodo builds instead, broken addons are ok to mention I will help push them forward if I get the chance.

Last edited:

strike0408

Nov 29, 2012
Canada
@josh
No you are right.. Gotham has no such issues it naturally handles audio and video much better..

I don't see why people resort to old hacked builds when we got a near perfect Gotham at beta stage 4.
The only reason I see for some is N*viX, but you should ask the N*viX developer because time is running out anyway.

The above way is a easy way to clone your boxes, just start with Gotham and you won't have any issues at all contrary you will have a extremely stable and well running XBMC compared to hacked Frodo builds. It has much better audio and video capabilities with 3D, better fps handling, better sync, DD5.1/DTS and it's all rewritten for your system.

A Ouya store version with working sound will never come out since Ouya has to follow the legal path because they made a console with a tegra3 processor and forgot to get DD5.1/DTS/mpeg2/avc1 licenses to go. Getting a license from Dolby now is next to impossible. :-/

The versions from XBMC.org does NOT have these restrictions, they are improved and they are still legal!
I think the road is paved in a direction that is pretty easy to steer. Install Gotham from XBMC.org and upgrade your way through the 2-3 last builds as they get released before final.

I'd love to see a shred of argumentation of why to go with hacked Frodo builds instead, broken addons are ok to mention I will help push them forward if I get the chance.
I think the main reason people don't want to switch to Gotham is that a lot of there addons don't work with gotham yet.... I personally run gotham beta4 and liking it...

josh3794

Jan 20, 2013
I prefer gotham as well. Even running gotham beta 4 I have a few small.issues with video stopping randomly and the odd audio dropout. If I do the setuo on frodo and restore the backup on gotham those problems are gone. I'm not sure why at this point.

When new betas are released I do try setting them up from scratch first to see how they act.

pizzaman

Jan 13, 2014
Why you bought a Game Center for Xbmc is beyond me. There are far better boxes. The minix x7 and x7 mini have a much better processor and twice the ram. And full access to google play.
The new amazon fire TV runs Xbmc great as well. Ouya is a year old with a 2 yet old processor and only 1gb of ram.

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
Why you bought a Game Center for Xbmc is beyond me. There are far better boxes. The minix x7 and x7 mini have a much better processor and twice the ram. And full access to google play.
The new amazon fire TV runs Xbmc great as well. Ouya is a year old with a 2 yet old processor and only 1gb of ram.
Your posts always feel "just shy" of argumentative. You hop on a thread where someone is asking for help and offer nothing but "why get that crap."

Perhaps don't engage in the discussion if you be nothing to offer.

Last edited:

pizzaman

Jan 13, 2014
I am offering help don't get an ouya. In trying to help people. This forum just loves the ouya but till you have sold them in the hundreds and have had to send back so many because of poor wifi, Ethernet port not working or USB port not working. It's ok for game I guess but the minix boxes along with many others can run GameCube and sega Saturn emus and the ouya can not. I just stated facts is all I did. I was trying to help others not to buy an ouya. I mean go ahead but I don't like people going around making claims that this is some wonderful box that just will be so perfect. Again my question why buy a game console for Xbmc when there are other boxes. Cx919 has good wifi. And now the fire TV.
Not trying to be mean but trying to get out of this stupid love for ouya that I hear. I get emails daily I hear the ouya is the best box for Xbmc. I say no it's not. But it gets annoying or people saying the mx2 is a great box I hear.

pizzaman

Jan 13, 2014
Also there has been allot of concern that ouya may not last another year. At least as hardware. Many news sites and forums saying with them selling the ouya OS to madcatz and other companies then why would they continue to make hardware when they don't really make anything on it. And considering the consoles running ouya are faster better processor and more ram why would someone still buy an ouya ?
Hey if it works for you and the box runs great I have had many people love it. Also had lots that don't. I just want to bring another side to the ouya is perfect wonderful argument.

I don't always word my stuff correctly but I am not trying to be rude

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
Also there has been allot of concern that ouya may not last another year. At least as hardware. Many news sites and forums saying with them selling the ouya OS to madcatz and other companies then why would they continue to make hardware when they don't really make anything on it. And considering the consoles running ouya are faster better processor and more ram why would someone still buy an ouya ?
Hey if it works for you and the box runs great I have had many people love it. Also had lots that don't. I just want to bring another side to the ouya is perfect wonderful argument.

I don't always word my stuff correctly but I am not trying to be rude
I am offering help don't get an ouya. In trying to help people. This forum just loves the ouya but till you have sold them in the hundreds and have had to send back so many because of poor wifi, Ethernet port not working or USB port not working. It's ok for game I guess but the minix boxes along with many others can run GameCube and sega Saturn emus and the ouya can not. I just stated facts is all I did. I was trying to help others not to buy an ouya. I mean go ahead but I don't like people going around making claims that this is some wonderful box that just will be so perfect. Again my question why buy a game console for Xbmc when there are other boxes. Cx919 has good wifi. And now the fire TV.
Not trying to be mean but trying to get out of this stupid love for ouya that I hear. I get emails daily I hear the ouya is the best box for Xbmc. I say no it's not. But it gets annoying or people saying the mx2 is a great box I hear.
Again I say... If you have nothing to offer, perhaps don't engage in this threads. I get it... You "sell boxes" and you have "preferences." Feel free to make a post, or thread, on all the ways OUYA has failed your business/customers or why users should use other boxes with better margins. ;)

But stop bashing in on other threads just to argue against folks decisions. The user bought the OUYA. They want to get help with it. OUYA is a awesome machine for XBMC. Its not the best in the market... But, IT WAS WHEN IT HIT THE SCENE.

Again... The issue is in hijacking threads. I don't care who likes, or hates, what... Just keep it productive.

Last edited:

pizzaman

Jan 13, 2014
I don't care about money. I just can offer my experience with after support. I sell something that requires the least amount of support that's all.

nitewing15

Jun 19, 2012
I've gone thru over a hundred Ouya's, 2 i had to return, with no problems from customer support.
It's hands down the best micro-box out there, I love mine, all 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K OUYA 9
J OUYA 3
W OUYA 4