Ouya sold

spaceghost

Aug 20, 2012
Gaming company Razer has acquired the software of the Android microconsole maker Ouya.

Ouya had tried to bring Android gaming to television. Now, Ouya’s accounts, controllers, games, as well as its technical and developer relations employees, will become part of Razer’s gaming system, Cortex TV. Razer has discontinued the Ouya hardware.

Ouya CEO Julie Uhrman will not be working with Razer but said, “Ouya was created with the goal to give developers more freedom. In doing this, we created the first open platform for television. And, with more than 1,000 games, we offered more content — and a broader variety — than any other platform. We are excited that Razer will expand our vision. While this was a hard trail to blaze, we proved that we could bring new thinking to how the games industry operates and we hope we have paved the way for others, allowing all game developers to bring his or her game to the big screen.”

Concerning the acquisition, Razer CEO Min-Liang Tan said, “There are about 200,000 users on the OUYA platform and for the hardware users, we intend to, out of goodwill (as we didn’t acquire the hardware assets), keep the lights on for their gaming service for at least 12 months as we encourage them to migrate to the Razer service which will have a lot more features, new content and new games. We will have more follow up [sic] announcements soon on the transition to the new service.” Customers will receive “freebies, giveaways and promotions.”

Razer will be paying Ouya’s debts to developers, which amount to nearly $620,000. Razer will also allow developers to put their games on other platforms in a Free the Games initiative; however, these developers must repay Razer publishing expenses by selling however many dollars worth of video games that they were provided by Razer.

Ouya had garnered more than $8.5 million on Kickstarter to develop their mobile-to-TV console, earning more money in one day than any other Kickstarter project at the time. However, the company nearly stopped producing their hardware in March 2014 due to little developer or gamer interest.

waspish

May 17, 2012
It was one of the best for kodi when first came out, amazon fire tv is far better for it now..

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
Yup, I just sold my special edition ouya. Was a great unit and I could have still used it but you can only install 14.2 helix and not isengard.

On to the Shield!

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
No it will not install, you get parsing package error upon trying to open it up.

Go ahead try it it won't hurt aNY thing to try. Kodi 14.2 works fine though.

It's documented in the kodi wiki. Sorry man, its not *my* fault.

If ouya had offered an update, but ouya was sold to a company that is no longer supporting it.

So there you have it, if you want isengard on an ouya you're out of luck.

Hoops

Sep 15, 2015
I'm still using my OUYA, as it has always worked and I have had zero problems. And yes, 14.2 is the max for this box, but it works like a charm. I know I'll have to purchase something in the future and I really don't have an idea what device to be looking at. Maybe Minix?

lartomar2002

Dec 23, 2012
Near Kennedy Space Center
I have the Nvidia Shield Android TV and it is the best KODI device out right now. It is a little expensive but you are also getting the option to play much higher quality video games than you ever could with Ouya.

theo point-o

May 14, 2014
OUYA is the best

i always read how people have so many issues with other newer boxes when trying to use XBMC/KODI yet i can honestly say my OUYA has never given me one problem ever.

OUYA is the first box i tried XBMC/KODI and i'll use it for as long as i can.

Thanks OUYA :)

J2048B

Jul 12, 2013
i always read how people have so many issues with other newer boxes when trying to use XBMC/KODI yet i can honestly say my OUYA has never given me one problem ever.

OUYA is the first box i tried XBMC/KODI and i'll use it for as long as i can.

Thanks OUYA :)
Well if u dont want to hack the thing enjoy kodi 14.... Cause u cant upgrade to 15 until ugo to the developers forum and have to hack the damn thing in order to put kitkat onto it for kodi 15 to even work on the damn thing

Dont get me wrong I LOVE MY OUYA!! But i dont have time nor patience to do all that!

theo point-o

May 14, 2014
Well if u dont want to hack the thing enjoy kodi 14.... Cause u cant upgrade to 15 until ugo to the developers forum and have to hack the damn thing in order to put kitkat onto it for kodi 15 to even work on the damn thing

Dont get me wrong I LOVE MY OUYA!! But i dont have time nor patience to do all that!
i still like kodi 14. sucks 15 won't work

J2048B

Jul 12, 2013
i still like kodi 14. sucks 15 won't work
Yeah i found out how to make the ouya upgrade to kodi 15, but crapolla it should t have to be this hard! (btw i think its horse pucky we would have to even hack the thing and basically wipe it out, if kodi works it should work until the box we r using takes a dump) u have to go to the developers forum if u know which one im talking about and do a complete wipe and install kitkat etc....

theo point-o

May 14, 2014
Yeah i found out how to make the ouya upgrade to kodi 15, but crapolla it should t have to be this hard! (btw i think its horse pucky we would have to even hack the thing and basically wipe it out, if kodi works it should work until the box we r using takes a dump) u have to go to the developers forum if u know which one im talking about and do a complete wipe and install kitkat etc....
i read how to do it but i suck at this sort of stuff so i won't try lol. its to bad an update wasn't released

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Computers 3
K Fusion Installer 16
S Kodi Support 5