ouya vs amazon fire tv. speed /stability who has both of them??

wantboost

Aug 11, 2013
I have Ouya. Currently I find it very stable and speed is decent compare to other Android boxes that I have had that would glitch and freeze. I was wondering for those who have had both how is the amazon fire box for speed and stability

baci

May 13, 2012
Toronto, Canada
I personally don't think the difference is enough to switch. If you like playing around and setting up boxes then go ahead and play away. I honestly dont think you will find that much of a difference.

baci

May 13, 2012
Toronto, Canada
If you can use all the added toys of the Amazon Fire tv then by all means go ahead. If you can't its a flip a coin. Either box is a good choice.

nickld

Oct 1, 2012
The great Inland Northwest
I have both. The Fire TV is a bit quicker when navigating menus and displaying lists. I quite like both of them though. I like to use the Fire TV as my main XBMC (Kodi) box and tinker around with the Ouya as it is designed to be more "open".

pizzaman

Jan 13, 2014
Oh man fire TV is much faster I find Ouya a pain because I don't like the game controller for a remote and I find it slow. Fire TV you get tons of TV apps and a much cleaner interface. Ouya is glad the memory and a slower older processor and if you want some thing that will a long time then go fire TV

heavyd69

Oct 25, 2013
i have both and i have to say that the fire tv is def faster. if you already have ouya, it is not necessary to upgrade it to the fire tv but if you are looking for a second unit, then i would go with fire tv. Also the wifi on the fire tv is much better.

FoneFreak

Aug 27, 2013
Not enough in it to switch, REAL TIME (Ie button clicks/ time for movie to load or play is exactly the same)

the rest is down to choice of menu and remotes etc.

I would say that fire TV just edges the ouya in usability.

If you want a faster unit then consider a NUC, it beats them both but real time we are talking few seconds in loadup etc but NUC is by far the faster of the 3 , even the Celeron version.

good luck

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
I have both... I switched back to the OUYA. Ends up the fire tv has many more limitations to it. It is fast... But percentage over OUYA... perhaps 10% faster when navigating.

I too hate the game controller, however. I purchased third parry remotes for the OUYA.

Flapster

Nov 13, 2013
The Black Country, UK
Dont have a Fire TV, but for the OUYA, if the controller does your head in (as it did mine), just buy a Flirc. I got one and it runs pretty much out of the box with my harmony remote.

filletboy

Nov 27, 2012
Mass, US
Oh man fire TV is much faster I find Ouya a pain because I don't like the game controller for a remote and I find it slow. Fire TV you get tons of TV apps and a much cleaner interface. Ouya is glad the memory and a slower older processor and if you want some thing that will a long time then go fire TV
I totally agree
I have apple, gbox, ouya, an amazon

amazon crushes all of them - hands down

filletboy

Nov 27, 2012
Mass, US
I have both... I switched back to the OUYA. Ends up the fire tv has many more limitations to it. It is fast... But percentage over OUYA... perhaps 10% faster when navigating.

I too hate the game controller, however. I purchased third parry remotes for the OUYA.
the key words here are "purchased"
and as others said, wifi in amazon far better than ouya
if it rains, the ouya fails wifi

the controller on ouya is bulky (original one)
if i am in a "purchasing" mood, the game controller for the amazon ALSO blows away the ouya controller

I say to the OP, try it and if you don't like it (amazon) you can always sell it for more than what you paid (ebay). Wish i could say that about the ouya

Good Luck

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
the key words here are "purchased"
and as others said, wifi in amazon far better than ouya
if it rains, the ouya fails wifi

the controller on ouya is bulky (original one)
if i am in a "purchasing" mood, the game controller for the amazon ALSO blows away the ouya controller

I say to the OP, try it and if you don't like it (amazon) you can always sell it for more than what you paid (ebay). Wish i could say that about the ouya

Good Luck
Not sure where you are going with "purchased" as both devices require a Purchase to get the most out of them.

P.S. it is raining an my OUYA WiFi is FINE. I have never suffered from WiFi issues as some others have. Fact is both boxes will do the OP just fine. OUYA, however, is WAYYYYYY EASIER to install (or sideload) content to. Is rootable. Is designed to be OPEN. For 99% of consumers who want XBMC, or KODI, OUYA is still the better option.

Until Firetv has a streamlined way of ADDING what you want...my opinion will remain. A user shouldn't need third party apps... Or Terminal Commands to install XBMC or other apps...lol

jarcuri

Dec 9, 2013
I personally found it much easier to setup fire tv by using my cell phone then I did using the ouya

jarcuri

Dec 9, 2013
if you have a mac, try using adbf for install
I have also used the phone but (if you can believe it) adb is faster
I have pc .... but I always have issues getting all the sources for adb setup. .... plus on my phone I wrote a basic script to install xbmcs and configure it the way I want.... only takes a few minutes

filletboy

Nov 27, 2012
Mass, US
Not sure where you are going with "purchased" as both devices require a Purchase to get the most out of them.

P.S. it is raining an my OUYA WiFi is FINE. I have never suffered from WiFi issues as some others have. Fact is both boxes will do the OP just fine. OUYA, however, is WAYYYYYY EASIER to install (or sideload) content to. Is rootable. Is designed to be OPEN. For 99% of consumers who want XBMC, or KODI, OUYA is still the better option.

Until Firetv has a streamlined way of ADDING what you want...my opinion will remain. A user shouldn't need third party apps... Or Terminal Commands to install XBMC or other apps...lol
My Point: you cannot find ONE complaint anywhere that is subject to the WIFI failing on Amazon, can't say that about Ouya. Once again, i have both.
I won't even mention that some places (best buy) won't sell the ouya anymore because of 'lack of popular'
You are correct that either box will satisfy the OP BUT, the Amazon is by far the better choice. Twice as fast and double the processor

Like I stated, just look at which sells the more (and higher priced) on ebay

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Computers 3
F OUYA 13
O OUYA 0