ouya vs amazon fire tv. speed /stability who has both of them??

jarcuri

Dec 9, 2013
Can you share the script with the community?
I posted this in another thread. ....

Ok just in case people are like me and install a lot of these for friends and family,I made a quick script to run in terminal. Really not necessary but I put xbmc on my phone and set it up the way I like to give it to people. I ran xbmc backup and then wrote this script in SM editor.<br />
#!/system/bin/sh<br />
echo -n "ip address: "<br />
read ip<br />
echo "$ip"<br />
adb connect $ip<br />
adb install /sdcard/Download/xbmc-13.1-Gotham-armeabi-v7a.apk<br />
adb push /sdcard/Download/201407081133/sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/<br />
adb disconnect<br />
<br />
You will have to change the filename to your back up file and same with xbmc name if it is different. I just run this and then load backup on the new FireTv and load the file and I don't have to individual install the add-ons.<br />
<br />
I also did this one for root which is a bit more reasonable to do and helps so I don't forget everything I want to load<br />
<br />
#!/system/bin/sh<br />
echo -n "ip address: "<br />
read ip<br />
echo "$ip"<br />
adb connect $ip<br />
adb install /sdcard/Download/xbmc-13.1-Gotham-armeabi-v7a.apk<br />
adb install /sdcard/Download/SopCast.apk<br />
adb install /sdcard/Download/eu.chainfire.stickmount.apk<br />
adb install /sdcard/Download/GoogleAccountManager_4.0.3.apk<br />
adb install /sdcard/Download/GooglePlayservices.apk<br />
adb install /sdcard/Download/GooglePlayStore4.6.17.apk<br />
adb install /sdcard/Download/GoogleServicesFramework.apk<br />
adb install /sdcard/Download/HDXPosed-1.1.apk<br />
adb install /sdcard/Download/latest.apk<br />
adb install /sdcard/Download/Superuser.apk<br />
adb install /sdcard/Download/tr.apk<br />
adb install /sdcard/Download/BusyBox.apk<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
adb push /sdcard/Download/201407081133 /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/<br />
adb disconnect<br/>

SparkGFX

Oct 2, 2014
Colorado
I dig the Amazon FireTV, but I have setup a ton of OUYAs for friends wanting a quick setup. They all hate the remote, but seem to like other aspects of it. The FireTV is pretty damn fast though...whatever I throw at it.

kuts209

Nov 30, 2012
I have both. Fire TV is faster and if you can boot into XBMC instead of the Amazon content it makes it much faster. Read somewhere that it helps the bandwidth in XBMC also by doing so. Plus Fire TV has more RAM

new2gbox

Feb 1, 2013
I'm sick of my ouya now takes ages to download updates if I turn the box on I need to leave it about 10 mins incase there's an auto update, streaming is now always buffering I'm gonna change to fire tv is it easy to set up

kiffmoore

Jan 2, 2013
I'm sick of my ouya now takes ages to download updates if I turn the box on I need to leave it about 10 mins incase there's an auto update, streaming is now always buffering I'm gonna change to fire tv is it easy to set up
Got a UK fire TV last week, can't root them here but having used a pi and openelec for 2 years really amazed at the power and speed of this. Using spmc and ikono TV app to launch it via llama (very simple to follow the guides here or on wiki) and the new spmc version even allows the fire TV to go to sleep whilst xbmc remains open, hence you can just leave xbmc running all the time if you wish. Amazed at some of the negative fire tv stuff I've read, I'm really impressed with it

Quique18

Aug 14, 2012
I love my Ouya I don't have any of those problems. Your Internet speed must be very slow, are you using wifi? I run ethernet to the Ouya and it downloads fast. I have 30Mbps download speeds. You might have a weak wifi signal if you are using wifi, specially if the router is far away.

filletboy

Nov 27, 2012
Mass, US
Just Adding for the OP:

if you really want a faster machine that will increase in value, get an amazon. The OUYA can be found almost anywhere for less than target sells them for and will not COMMAND the value that an amazon will.

This can all be proofed by opening ebay in your browser
Just remember what the good teacher said, "if it sells for less, its because it's cheap"
Or better understood, "you get what you pay for"

Quique18

Aug 14, 2012
I have both too, just got the fire tv. So far I am not too happy with the fire tv because when trying to open some links I get kicked out of xbmc and back to the fire tv home screen. I have uninstalled and reinstalled xbmc and the issue still occurs intermittently when trying to access a link. I haven't had that happen on the ouya. I like the ouya cause it just works and is open to anything you want to do with it.

Quique18

Aug 14, 2012
Is there any particular reason why the guys who like the ouya stopped using the fire tv? Would be useful to know why...

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
Fire Tv was meant to be used on their own pay for services and is not friendly to the xbmc users/installers or people that want to hook up a hard drive to the unit. They made it as difficult as possible to use it for anything except their own toll booth. Very similar to how apple tv2 did with their updates that no longer allow jailbreak that no longer allow xbmc to be installed on them. Yet they give you enough leeway to try, with great effort, so it steals your time and efforts if you want to still use it for xbmc. Kind of Like a slot machine. That way they still make sales even though they don't want you to use it for xbmc. Its like a huge disservice to the xbmc community. personally, THATS why I want nothing to do with it.

Then you take the ouya and study it, it just works great and feels fun to use AND was meant for xbmc all the way. Heck, it puts a smile on my face every time I use it and I own several MUCH better boxes which have better picture quality but don't really put that smile on my face like the ouya does. I don't know what it is.

Last edited:

mj71

Jan 13, 2013
Fire Tv was meant to be used on their own pay for services and is not friendly to the xbmc users/installers or people that want to hook up a hard drive to the unit. They made it as difficult as possible to use it for anything except their own toll booth. Very similar to how apple tv2 did with their updates that no longer allow jailbreak that no longer allow xbmc to be installed on them. Yet they give you enough leeway to try, with great effort, so it steals your time and efforts if you want to still use it for xbmc. Kind of Like a slot machine. That way they still make sales even though they don't want you to use it for xbmc. Its like a huge scam to the xbmc community. personally, THATS why I want nothing to do with it.

Then you take the ouya and study it, it just works great and feels fun to use AND was meant for xbmc all the way.
Huh? What?

I got one,took a minute to download adbfire then maybe 30 seconds to sideload xbmc to it

Hardly a great effort,definately no time or effort stolen.....and a scam? :confused:

But each to their own lol

p.s i dont use it at all for any amazon services as i dont have any

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
It may have been easy for you Mj to set it up but its not that easy for the common person, even I had a few snags when I tried one and I've been in this game for more than 5 years now. But yes to each their own. I had one for two weeks and that's all I could take. There are better machines out there, with volume controls on the remote, sure more money but there is better. If people are serious about how much time they spend on watching TV then why not look into something more user friendly and more importantly, a better quality picture, its YOUR eyes after all.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Computers 3
F OUYA 13
O OUYA 0