Ouya vs Pi vs other

xsy77

Oct 14, 2012
Hi,

Advice please.

Hi all,

Been an XBMC user for approx 10 years and am currently using a Rpi for my main viewing and a laptop for when I'm on the road.

I have been looking to get an Ouya for multiple reasons, mainly the performance increase against a RPI. Is it that noticeable?

The RPI is great and i love its low power consumption so any alternative would have to be low power (HTPC out the window straight away sorry).

Is an Ouya the answer or is the an android box out there that is head and shoulders above the RPI / Ouya?

Thanks a million!

xsy

edmarlo

Mar 1, 2014
Ouya is a great device very reliable firetv is also great, MINIX neo8 works awesome a little more expensive and also the Asus Chromebox a little more power works well with openelec.

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
I have aftv and rpi with a custom img running off usb. Fire is lightning fast navigating the menus of some pretty heavy skins. But my rpi is consistent(rarely crashes, freezes,etc) it hasn't given me any issues.
I'm going to buy a ouya for my son and from what I know it's a tad slower than aftv but very stable.
I guess it depends on what's more important to you. I love both the rpi and aftv and from my understanding ouya is a good choice if you want a relatively fast and very stable xbmc experience.
*One thing I don't know about ouya is how well the WiFi works. I found my rpi to need a direct Ethernet while aftv is fine over WiFi. Something to look into if you plan on using it like that. Btw theWiFi antenna could be awesome but it's just one more thing to consider.

strike0408

Nov 29, 2012
Canada
The new Black ouya's have corrected the wifi issue. I have the 1st silver model, I just run mine hardwired and it works great! very stable add fast. I would recommend one.....

filletboy

Nov 27, 2012
Mass, US
Agree with strike

I find that OUYA required an Ethernet connection...but at the same time, I now prefer an Ethernet connection.
You cannot beat a direct connection

With that said, the AFT works best if you require WIFI (though i never tried RPI)

PS; all the reasons why I do NOT like the fire tv STICK- no ethernet inlet

scordz

Jul 8, 2013
In my opinion, the only thing better than a PC running XBMC/Kodi is an overclocked Raspberry PI with OpenElec. It is the most stable release out there and the easiest to update, unlike android devices.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Computers 3
K Fusion Installer 16
S Kodi Support 5