OUYA vs Pi

lenniepaz

Aug 19, 2013
I just set up my buddy's Macbook to run XBMC on his LCD, because his family is killing him with ATV purchases. They seem to really like it, so he wants to get an alternate unit to replace the Macbook. I was going to set him up a Pi, but started reading about the OUYA. I know the Pi is cheaper, but does the OUYA outperform the Pi by $60? He would be using it only for XBMC, and watching movies from Ic*f*lms and MashUp. How does the OUYA handle 720 and 1080 movies from Ic*f*lms and MashUp? Does the OUYA output DTS?

martinboyce

Aug 14, 2013
Georgetown, DE USA
Lol sorry the saying there are no stupid questions. But yes the ouya makes the pi look like toilet paper and no they pi is just as expensive. The unit is $35 but you also have to get a wifi dongle if you don't want Ethernet also a keyboard and mouse combo pad unless you wanna use bulky keyboard and mouse. Then the power cable a good one with a decent power block with run you at least $20 and let's not forget the pi runs like crap without a usb boot so you need to spend good money on a usb and flash drive. And let's talk about the pi setup time. While easy it's still time consuming. And once you get all that done and get your settings just right you find out that you just spent $100 for something that can't even be compared to the ease of use as an ouya. And that my friend you can take to the bank. The pi is too slow and the ouya is fast it's like buying fools gold or buying real gold both the same price. Think about that

oso

Sep 19, 2012
Well I will disagree with that in about everything the above poster wrote. Fortunate to have the both, and the Pi beats the Ouya hands down. To break things down, The Pi does not need a WiFi adaptor, or a keyboard or mouse, If you do need WiFi you can get an adaptor for around $7 from Farnell, a decent MCE remote will cost you around $10, a PSU direct from Farnell will cost you $5. Get a decent SD card for around $7 (i recommend sandisk ultra 4 gig or better), these are rock solid stable. Setup time using an OS that has been designed specifically for the Pi, OpenElec will take you 5-10 minutes max to setup initially, then after that 20 seconds or so to boot. Once that is done you will have a solid, stable, well supported, officially I may add Home entertainment system for about $60-70 MAX !!

The Ouya XBMC although is coming along nicely is still very much a beta project, runs on top of android, drivers are far from perfect, has a very small dev team compared to OpenElec, struggles with certain codecs, judders on some live content, and is buggy on a few well known addons. That aside hardware acceleration is far from perfect on it and in reality does not run nearly as fast as an optimised Pi. Again I can only tell you from heavy experience on both systems. Hope that info helps with your choice.

ute

Dec 16, 2012
"Well I will disagree with that in about everything the above poster wrote. Fortunate to have the both, and the Pi beats the Ouya hands down. To break things down, The Pi does not need a WiFi adaptor, or a keyboard or mouse, If you do need WiFi you can get an adaptor for around $7 from Farnell, a decent MCE remote will cost you around $10, a PSU direct from Farnell will cost you $5. Get a decent SD card for around $7 (i recommend sandisk ultra 4 gig or better), these are rock solid stable. Setup time using an OS that has been designed specifically for the Pi, OpenElec will take you 5-10 minutes max to setup initially, then after that 20 seconds or so to boot. Once that is done you will have a solid, stable, well supported, officially I may add Home entertainment system for about $60-70 MAX !!"

Nailed it !!!

The Pi is cheaper and so easy to set up from the time you open up the mail pouch to watching TV is about 15 min including the download time for one of the built images from Tuxen or Mark Rich

Ouya is good ( I don't have one yet ) but the post's are favorable

$ for $ go for the Pi ( plus it's just so dam cool )

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Depends on your use..
The pi has the absolutely best version of XBMC with 24p, 25p, 30p, 50hz, 60hz, full bluray bitrate with DTS and native 3D support and CEC. (use your tv remote) It takes under 10mins to setup. There a video under 10mins that show it all.

The Ouya XBMC is fixed at 60 Hz (because of android) no 24p or 50 Hz even, which means you can't sync a PAL movie (50hz) or a bluray (24p) to your TV frame for frame you will either loose some frames or some will get added 24p can be fixed via "pull down" technique but 50Hz leeds to judder, no 3D integration, no CEC, when I borrowed one I had to unplug and replug the reciever to get DTS (got the tip from the forums), it is much faster in the menus though, can run bigger skins, can play games and Netflix and runs on top of android so you can side load APK's. 3D will come in Gotham, DTS will get fixed and I really hope they fix the 60 Hz issue.

Last edited:

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Martinboyce: what a uninformative biased bunch of nonsense.
I suggest you learn a little about audio and video. Yes it's faster in menus and skin and games has android underneath so you can sideload apk's and if that's your primary use is that its completely fine.
I prefer when the video rolls.

Last edited:

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
Somewhere In This Crazy World
I have the utmost respect for the raspi voices... and note that those users are some power house opinions. For me... I too have both. I loved my pi. I still have it. It is the best one for the experience, perhaps... but simply based on the way I like to XBMC and the things I want my box to do and have... OUYA wins hands down for me. This is not to say the raspi is not still awesome and versitile as can be... but the skins my ouya runs... the pi wouldnt. The tegra 3 is absolutely the most powerful thing any of my little boxes habe seen. Plus I love the games... and the gamepad (for games)... the hacks to add more games and apps fron the Playstore... the fact that OUYA is an Android base instead of linux (I like to have a gui).

The boxes are very different. Different users... who use devices differently... with different expectations and desires.

If tuxen had my OUYA... he would love it... but I have invested extra time and money into getting it to where it is. If I tried tuxen's, or oso's, rasPi... it would blow me away as he has likely done the same.

Its all subjective. To be fair... I would hate the OUYA without a remote. With my MELE F10 PRO it ks my favorite xbmc device I have ever owned... but! That purchase takes my ouya to $99 + $49 so... there is a lot to consider ;)

Last edited:

bigdogeh

May 6, 2012
I love my OUYA even with the stock controller as the remote. it's just so damn fast throughout the gui and loading covers, fanart, etc... everything is instant! I was playing with an appleTV2 yesterday and it was painful with how slow everything loaded compared to the ouya... I had the pi for awhile also.. maybe not configured as well as the other guys, but it didn't seem any faster than the atv2 when I had it...once you've experienced the speed of the quadcore processor it's hard to go backwards... but umOuch spelled it out nicely in that they are different machines running different OS's and have different capabilities... I agree, if tuxen had one I think he would change his mind and prefer the OUYA....

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Ofcause I would love it.. I love all hardware. ;) and I would do the same as you.
But strictly playing movies its lacking, as said I borrowed one and this was the part I was not happy with.
Especially when I have a TV that costs a fortune and have all the capabilities the Ouya don't support.

Last edited:

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
MB: Sorry but read your words again. The whole post is disrespectful.
You did not say you loved your Ouya you spend the whole post on dissing the pi.
Basically you start by implying stupidity and saying its toilet paper, then continue with incorrect facts a psu costs 20$, needs keyboard, mice etc etc I paid 5£ for mine I use my tv remote (free) I have no need for wifi, the sdcard and storage I use I had laying around.

I did not diss any of them but presented the differences. As said I like both in different ways.

Last edited:

lenniepaz

Aug 19, 2013
Yeah, the toilet paper reference rubbed me the wrong way too. If you are going to trash a product, at least back it up with some intelligent information as to why you don't like it. When I saw he had only 15 posts, I took his opinion with a grain of salt.

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Hahahaha.. Still think the battle thread is a good idea with all these differences in use, I mean specs is one thing but there so much more to it.

Edit: to be fair there are some objective views and facts in here IMHO..

Last edited:

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
Somewhere In This Crazy World
Hahahaha.. Still think the battle thread is a good idea with all these differences in use, I mean specs is one thing but there so much more to it.

Edit: to be fair there are some objective views and facts in here IMHO..
The attle is simply meant as a place for users to seek info on their own. There will be no victor declared. I think it is a good idea still ;)

mindgame

Apr 13, 2013
People seem to get emotionally attached to hardware, like I am with the RPi and umOuch seems to be with the Ouya :) If the RPi had an extra usb port and could power 1.8" drives without a powered hub I would truly be in heaven.

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
You can power a 1.8" harddrive, its a number smaller than laptop drives. I can't power a 2.5" laptop drive either. I wouldn't say I'm emotionally attached I'm just a hardware freak, I don't really see umOuch being it either. I have a fast micro factor PC with SSD that will beat any custom box hands down in specs and boots almost as fast as the pi with win 7 (20 sec) connected to the same tv. But the convenience of it all makes me pick up the TV remote and use the pi, instead of the mice/keyboard in remote size I also have for the PC.

My pi functions as media center, mini nas has 4TB connected, and torrent client, and cost nothing in power=always on and my tv has Netflix so that's only a button away to.

Like umOuch we both spend a while setting our devices up/discovering them. And yes we can see the coolness in eachother devices, I find most hardware interesting and would also like to get more devices so I can get to know them as well as the pi and get my fingers dirty getting the most out of them. But my use for the Ouya would be different than the pi. (For now)

But that wouldn't stop me from sharing all the tips, tricks, and hacks to the rest of the community just as eagerly as with the pi which is our goal on the forum: to get people the most out of their box and get the best XBMC experience no matter what device. Hell I wish I had them all for that purpose.

I only had the Ouya for a day and my observations are objectective to that, as I wrote earlier I'm sure what I found disappointing about the video playback/DTS will be fixed and there probably also are things you can do yourself to better this. I see no bashing of it at all only the current facts.

Another difference is I live in PAL land 50hz and umOuch lives in NTSC land (60hz) so I'm a little more dependent on fluid 25fps without it needs to add 5 fps or speed the playback up, or simply leave them out which it did and that led to judder.

Edit: I'm also a audio/videophile which I'm sure has a lot of influence.

Last edited:

FoneFreak

Aug 27, 2013
I have both devices, Basicly the PI plays 1080p without breaking a sweat, its family friendly, has HDMI-CEC and works with most tv remotes. it has slowis menus (this can be fixed and is not a deal breaker) but as an xbmc device is almost perfect!! Baring in mind in Uk its about £35 for a working setup!.

I also bought an ouya for £65 on ebay (£99 is still a good price but cheaper is better!!), the ouya is excellent for xbmc/smoth fast menus, emulators, games etc and the added benifit of a slightly crippled anroid backend.

Both are different but BOTH are excellent for XBMC. its down to you needs but if you want to control from your tv, hide behind tv etc then PI is perfect!!

if you want games/xbmc prefer using controller or china remotes then ouya is the best for you.

BOTH have a place in ANY home!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Computers 3
K Fusion Installer 16
S Kodi Support 5