Ouya

lartomar2002

Dec 23, 2012
Near Kennedy Space Center
No worries, check ebay or do a google search, you will find plenty for sale. Mine is still working great but I am seriously considering the Nvidia Shield console. It blows every other android console out of the water. Ouya could have done this if they had kept their promises.

s7eele

Sep 29, 2012
US of A (Deep Deep South)
no way im gonna pay what they want for an ouya now, lol, maybe if i could still pick em up for 80 bucks but even then...

gonna have to check out the shield, i love nvidia i just havent been paying much attention to the shield

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
Not sure what you mean about the controller being the box, please explain. As far as it not having a ethernet port it does have a gigabyte one, check here http://shield.nvidia.com/store/android-tv under full specs.
OK I was looking at the controller with the screen version, didn't know they had this new flat thingy out, my bad.
It does look pretty cool now that I'm looking at the right thing.

Thanks for posting, will look into it in the future although I'm using a Windows machine now that I'm very pleased with. Still I like to spend money on these things.

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
mine died about three weeks ago, ill miss it 😞
What happened to it? My sons wouldn't power on but it was under warranty so they sent a new one. Pretty good customer service--no fuss.
The shield looks awesome but I wonder how competitive the price will be? It'll have to remain relatively low now that there's so many affordable boxes plus the new apple TV is coming this summer...

lartomar2002

Dec 23, 2012
$199.00 with controller. The remote control is extra. It has a little weird setup, the controller uses wifi direct because it supposedly reduces lag time. The remote controller uses bluethooth which tells me you could use almost any bluethooth remote or keyboard.

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
$199.00 with controller. The remote control is extra. It has a little weird setup, the controller uses wifi direct because it supposedly reduces lag time. The remote controller uses bluethooth which tells me you could use almost any bluethooth remote or keyboard.
That's pretty close to the borderline price where I just say forget it--ill build an htpc!
Its not unreasonable at all but think I'd rather spend a little extra and get more. Depending on the deals you could get 2 aftvs and have enough left over for a game controller.
Btw--that ouya came in the mail today. They sent me a silver plated box, not the black one I returned. It has a lot more weight to it and feels like a higher quality product. Is this the one with improved WiFi?

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
Do you have a link for this? I've been looking but cannot find a place you can actually buy the product and pay for it. I see the portable one, plenty of them around but I wouldn't want the portable one.

lartomar2002

Dec 23, 2012
Wish I could tell you. A couple of days ago you could have pre-order from the store on their site but now we can not. I do not know why or what happened. I do know they are supposed to launch retail this month or at least that is what I had read earlier. If I hear anything Iwill post.

Last edited:

s7eele

Sep 29, 2012
US of A (Deep Deep South)
What happened to it? My sons wouldn't power on but it was under warranty so they sent a new one. Pretty good customer service--no fuss.
The shield looks awesome but I wonder how competitive the price will be? It'll have to remain relatively low now that there's so many affordable boxes plus the new apple TV is coming this summer...
one day i noticed it was off and it has never fully powered up since, the fan spins but thats it, led doesnt light up at all, i tried a different power cable as i read they sometimes fail to allow enough power through to the unit, no joy

wrt the warranty, it died a week or two past the one year mark so i think replacement/repair is out of the question but after hearing that youve had good luck with support i may give them a shot, i dont often call tech support, in the commercial world i find most useless

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
one day i noticed it was off and it has never fully powered up since, the fan spins but thats it, led doesnt light up at all, i tried a different power cable as i read they sometimes fail to allow enough power through to the unit, no joy

wrt the warranty, it died a week or two past the one year mark so i think replacement/repair is out of the question but after hearing that youve had good luck with support i may give them a shot, i dont often call tech support, in the commercial world i find most useless
Its really hit or miss. I've heard crazy good stories about amazons customer service but not much personal experience.
This unit was purchased in December. Ouya wanted a receipt which luckily I found and the model number. Once that was submitted they basically sent me an address and an RMA number, one week after sending it out I received a new one that seems better than the one I returned but I don't pretend to know much about their product. Its my son's. Worth a shot though. Good luck!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Computers 3
K Fusion Installer 16
S Kodi Support 5