Pink Screen

Double O Seven

May 9, 2014
The home of Bond, James Bond
So sometimes when I go to watch a newly released movie in HD, (I've never tried the dvd..) around the 10 minute mark onwards, I encounter the dreaded 'Pink Screen'. At this point the audio is fine but the Pink just will not go away, I checked this once (no I did not sit through 'The Pink Knight Rises', I fast fowarded :D). Interestingly enough on another movie I downloaded, when I fast forwarded through that one, I saw Pink break up but this did not occur at all as I watched the film.

This has me curious, just what is the Pink Screen? I thought it was the result of copyright protection but I'm not positivly certain on that. So dudes what do you know about this?

Zombie_Testicle

May 7, 2013
I had pink screen on atv2 before i put xbmc on it. i think it was a problem with the firmware, when i jailbreaked it and stuff it went away.

try hitting it with a hammer?

Double O Seven

May 9, 2014
This only happens when I watch a movie that's been released in cinemas between 2013-2014, it has never occurred for me with a movie before this time. It's only select HD sources, so if I get Pink Screen after 10 minutes in all I do is try another one and problem solved.

I just read this http://www.reddit.com/r/torrents/comments/1q85s3/how_does_yify_get_all_these_bluray_movies_early/

How does YiFY get all these Bluray movies early?
They steal them from the scene. The Scene have people working in printing warehouses and other production plants where the blu-rays are prepared weeks before they are shipped to stores. These people get a hold of early copies that are binned for bad printing and other stuff. The disc and the media on it are fine but the printing isn't good so it's binned. The people working in the scene steal it from the bin and upload the full BD25/BD50 (untouched blu-ray with DRM removed) for the scene group they're part of to make an encode out of. Once this encode is out YIFY download it and transcode using shitty settings to get the file size down. YIFY like to pretend they're underground "YIFY doesn’t reveal specific sources but says it mostly relies on “leaked Blu-ray disks from friends.” but really they just steal from the scene.
I'm going to assume Pink Screen is a result of something similar to this, maybe it's not and the fault is on my end but I don't feel like going crazy right now trying to pinpoint a minor annoyance.

jokster

Staff member
Jan 3, 2013
Tír na nÓg
Nothing new here, its no secret that yifi are much like axxo before them.
I doubt it has anything to do with your pink screen though.

rizjuan1

Aug 1, 2013
I get that exact issue with most YIFY releases on Ic*f*lms. It's only ever happened with a YIFY release for me. The movie will be working fine and then will randomly spaz out and become pink and green. It looks a lot like scrambled PPV did back in the day. It will always happen at the same point at a certain movie and persists for 10-30 mins. If I fast forward, eventually it looks fine. The weird thing is that when I play the files on my computer (through VLC) they are fine. Although I'm assuming the main culprit is a bad encode, I'm hopeful there is some kind of fix since it plays fine on my computer. Here's and example (YIFY release from Ic*f*lms):

Nymphomanic Vol 1 (00:10:09)

I'm also using an OUYA with the latest Gotham build for Android if that provides any insight (though I had the same issue with various YIFY releases even when I was on Frodo). It's really not that big of an issue to me as half of YIFY releases work fine and it's not that hard to find alternative releases for the ones that do give problems. It just has made streaming from Ic*f*lms a little less dependable.

Double O Seven

May 9, 2014
Perhaps it is an Ouya only issue, since like you that's the device i'm running on.

From my experience I've encountered this problem not just with Ic*f*lms but: Much Movies HD, Yify Movies HD, Na*i-X and another addon which isn't supported here. Whether this is down to Yify sources I don't know, as I came up against Pink from a Putlocker/Firedrive file.

Thank you for your feedback though! It's good to know other peoples explanations.

:D