Platform update needed - KB2670838

DrTeeth

Jan 5, 2017
Hi,

I have just tried to install Kodi 17.1 for windows on Win 7 (all updates applied) and was informed that platform update KB267838 was needed before it would install. The thing is, that update has already been installed so I cannot install it again!

Any tips on getting around this?

Thanks

DrT

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
Are you sure you have SP1 installed on your laptop? SP1 is a must on Windows 7 for most application and I believe it won't install Kodi without it. It's been a while since I did a Windows 7 without SP1 install of Kodi but if I recall, it was necessary.

DrTeeth

Jan 5, 2017
Are you sure you have SP1 installed on your laptop? SP1 is a must on Windows 7 for most application and I believe it won't install Kodi without it. It's been a while since I did a Windows 7 without SP1 install of Kodi but if I recall, it was necessary.
SP1 is installed as are all updates and the aforementioned platform update.

With kind regards

DrT

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
Well there's something missing or it wouldn't ask for a platform update. Check everything and it all else fails, upgrade to Windows 10.
But a fully updated Windows 7 should work. Maybe just update your drivers. Use Iobit Driver Booster 4.3 for this task. Even if you performed the driver update through the site that deals with your laptop brand, Driver Booster will still find old drivers in need of updating.

skyhigh

Jan 11, 2015
It's a known issue, read this and look for support there..

Code:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=310185

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
FYI you can still get a free 'legit' Windows 10 upgrade, even though the official upgrade period is over...

Just go and get the 'assisted technologies' version, FYI there is not difference between this and the regular version of Windows they are identical as the assisted technologies are part of every Windows install now...

You just have to close your eyes and fib a little in regards to the question "Yes, I use assistive technologies and I am ready for my free upgrade to Windows 10. *" while you click the Upgrade button at the bottom of the page... :rolleyes:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/accessibility/windows10upgrade

DrTeeth

Jan 5, 2017
It's a known issue, read this and look for support there..

Code:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=310185
Interesting thread. No errors here with the System readiness tool. Looks like there is not much more I can do. Everything else works fine so I'll give Kodi 17.2 a pass.

Thanks

DrT

jmh2002

Nov 20, 2012
FRA, ITA, UKR,
That thread on Kodi has several work arounds. The easiest seems to be to run the installer in Windows XP compatibility mode (which recently worked for me on an old Vista machine that was being naughty when updating from 17RC1 to 17.1), however you will note in that thread that this is considered a 'work around' rather than a 'fix' and the experts suggest that something is still wrong on the device itself.

In general it seems that even if you have the right updates installed somehow on some devices something is broken and windows isn't reporting this correctly to the Kodi installer.

A developer there at Kodi keeps issuing test builds to try and find a solution.

I didn't really have the inclination (read: couldn't be bothered) to chase after a random windows problem so the compatibility work around fixed it for me in just a few minutes.

DrTeeth

Jan 5, 2017
Hi jmh2002,
That did it...installing now. Pity I missed that.

Cheers

DrT

PS PLus the forum does not seem to forward posts to threads to which I am subscribed.