Please help!! Kodi just erased all of it's data!!

jerseyblooded

Mar 26, 2018
Hello. I just ran into a problem with kodi, and I need some help. Two months ago, I had a different, problem but I was finally able to create a backup and restore most of my Kodi data. I finally had Kodi running well, and back to the way I liked it. So tonight I decided to try out some new skins, because I've always used the default skin. I tried about 5, and they all worked, but I wanted to try more. When I tried the last one, it said it couldn't be installed. This was fine with me, because I was just going to skip it and move on to a different one. However, it wouldn't let me back out of that error message, so I had to Force Close Kodi. When I tried to reopen it, it just kept "Not Responding." So then I cleared the Kodi Data and the Kodi cache. After that Kodi opened, but it said "Preparing to start first run." Once it loaded, all settings were back to factory, and all of my addons, favorites, and everything else was gone. This all happened in about 5-10 minutes, and I don't know why or how. I still have a backup from two months ago, but I will be missing two months of stuff if I use that backup to restore. So I am trying to find out if there is a way to restore back to the way Kodi was 10 minutes ago?
Thank you for any help!!

syntax

Staff member
Jun 6, 2017
no there isn't any way to get it back to what it just was cause when you cleared/deleted the kodi data it is gone from your system.
give the old backup a try and maybe you can get it back pretty close to what you had.

jerseyblooded

Mar 26, 2018
Ok. Thanks...
Also, after the skin froze Kodi, but before I cleared the cache and data.. when I tried to open Kodi, it was saying 'preparing for first run.' So I assume everything got erased before I even cleared the cache and data. Do you agree? I just don't understand how that happened?

jerseyblooded

Mar 26, 2018
One more thing...
Since I have to kind of start fresh, should I just install Kodi 18 Alpha 2, or stick to Kodi 17.6 until Kodi 18 is officially finished?...
If I do go with Kodi 18, what will happen when I load the backup I created via Kodi 17.6? Will it just reload 17.6 or will it be 18, but with all the data from my backup?
Thanks again.

JNRW

Oct 13, 2014
One more thing...
Since I have to kind of start fresh, should I just install Kodi 18 Alpha 2, or stick to Kodi 17.6 until Kodi 18 is officially finished?...
If I do go with Kodi 18, what will happen when I load the backup I created via Kodi 17.6? Will it just reload 17.6 or will it be 18, but with all the data from my backup?
Thanks again.
Most definitely stay with a Kodi 17.6 as it is known to work. Kodi 18 is still being worked on and might well introduce unwanted problems at this stage.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
One more thing...
Thanks again.
Most definitely stay with a Kodi 17.6 as it is known to work. Kodi 18 is still being worked on and might well introduce unwanted problems at this stage.
I agree with JNRW. Leia is only at Alpha stage and will certainly have issues. Stick with Krypton 17.6 (last stable version).

To answer your other question, if you restore your backup on Kodi 18 (Leia) you will still have Leia and all your settings from v17.6 so no problems there. Some addons however may not be fully compatible with Leia at this time. Many developers wait until the version is released as fully stable or at a minimum when it become a Release Candidate (RC) before they update their addons to be fully compliant.

jerseyblooded

Mar 26, 2018
Ok. I'll stick with Krypton for now.
Thanks RavRob, JNRW, and syntax for all of your help, again!!...
RavRob and JNRW also helped me when I had a problem 2 months ago. And thanks to their help before, I got a Trakt account, so this time, I didn't lose nearly as much!

jerseyblooded

Mar 26, 2018
Since I had to do a restore, I'm currently overhauling and reorganizing my Kodi. Once I get everything the way I like it, I'm going to create a good backup. So yesterday, I started using Super Favourites (I think I am allowed to mention this, since it's an official add-on). Does anyone happen to know whether or not all of the data (folders, favorites, etc) I just put into Super Favourites, will backup and restore properly?

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
Not sure. I would think it will but I have never backed/restored witn SF (which I also use). I will give it a go tonight or the next couple of days and test it.

NOTE: Using the batch installer might be an easier way to backup your system.
https://www.tvaddons.co/batch-installer-kodi/
I haven't tried it yet so maybe someone in the know could comment on this

Last edited:

JNRW

Oct 13, 2014
I am glad you have found Trakt of use. I think it is absolutely brilliant and all for free. Marvellous!

jerseyblooded

Mar 26, 2018
JNRW, I completely agree!!

RavRob, thanks for running some tests. I'm anxious for the results. I hope it does save everything, because I just put a lot of time into SF over the past 48 hours.

I haven't tried the batch installer yet either. I've been using a 'wizard' (don't know if I can say the name), and it seems to work well.

I'm sure there might be a 'better' way to do a lot of the stuff I do, but I'm still fairly new to the world of Kodi. I only started using Kodi about 9 months ago (but I'm a quick learner).

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
Worry m8. I didn't have the time and then just plain forgot about it. I will take the time this weekend and get back to you. Sorry for procrastinating.

jerseyblooded

Mar 26, 2018
No problem. Take all the time you need. You're actually doing me a favor by running the tests...

On a side note...
Idk if this can be talked about on here, but if so, I will get into more detail in a later post...
I'm looking to buy another 'Kodi Box.' I'm trying to think ahead, so I want to get one that I know will be able to handle Kodi 18. I will tell you what I currently use later (if allowed). I'd prefer on the cheaper side, but I'm open to all prices, if the specs are worth it. Do you use any boxes, or just Windows/iOS? Do you have any recommendations?...

Sorry for always replying with even more questions than before. And as always, thanks for any help!!

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
I personally use a nVidia Shield. It is awesome. However, you don't have to go to that price range. What you will need (likely for Kodi 19) is a box that is 64 bits. Not sure if that will be required for Leia but for what I've read, Kodi 19 will be exclusively 64 bits. So look for boxes that will handle the future Kodi update. This should be as early as 2019/20.

jerseyblooded

Mar 26, 2018
Awesome. Thanks... any other specs I should look for? I'm very well versed in tech and computers, just noy in Kodi, yet. So if you tell me specs, I will understand...

I am currently using a Nexbox A95X. It's my first box. I know it isn't even close to great, but I just wanted to start with a cheaper box to try Kodi out. Now that I know I like Kodi, I'm willing to spend a little more on my next box. The Nexbox A95X wasn't 'ranked' very high, nor did it perform great in benchmark tests (according to others). But I have been very surprised and happy with it. I think I actually made a good choice, just by doing my own research a year ago. But of course I want bigger and better!! Here are the specs of my current box. Maybe you can let me now what I should 'upgrade' to in my next one.

Nexbox A95X Android TV Box Specs
CPU: Amlogic S905X Quad core Cortex A53 2.0GHz 64bit
GPU: Penta-core Mali-450MP GPU
2GB DDR3 RAM
16GB eMMC Flash ROM
USB 2.0 * 2
Card reader: SD/SDHC/MMC cards
Support the latest HEVC (H.265) decoding
Support 4K*2K Super HD video
Wifi: IEEE 802.11b/g/n, 2.4G/5G
Wired/wireless mouse/ keyboard supported

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
OK so I backed up my nVidia (Android) and restored it on a PC. All my favorite and super favorite were restored. Also, my Trakt and Real Debrid were also restored although I had to authorize this device. I didn't have to re-authorize Trakt though. All seems to be well. Just be sure to enable all in your backup addon settings before doing the backup. You could also delete all Thumbnails and packages before the backup to make is somewhat smaller.
I didn't do anything with Leia....sorry.

jerseyblooded

Mar 26, 2018
Excellent. Thank you for taking the time to do that. I really appreciate it... I'm not gonna deal with or worry about Leia until its 'official' stable release...

Do you have any insight regarding the Kodi box questions/info I posted?