PLEX BEATS XBMC and NETFLIX

jamie6666

Dec 5, 2012
whats going on with the ouya im nor hearing too much about it was thinking of getting one and first ive heard of plex

XxAnthxX

Feb 16, 2013
I've just plugged mine in again this morning to try the new update.....

But it's back in its box now.

I'll wait for a proper XBMC for it, so the keys are mapped to the controller and you can start it from the play menu....then I might use it.

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
Somewhere In This Crazy World
I use mine as the primary living room device now.

With libstagefright alpha 1... I have:

all addons working
All controller buttons correctly mapped
1080p playback
Live streams
Etc

With the latest firmware release:

- Much better UI features
- Turn system on and off via controller (like PS3)
- NETFLIX working better(though still side loaded)
- Shadowgun released and MUCH better than the sideloaded version
- new emulators are AMAZING (NES, SNES, N64, SEGA, PLAYSTATION 1) and all work flawlessly.
- Some seriously fun multiplayer games... my friends are in love with my little box.
- easier ability to add PlayStation 3 controllers.

There are only two downsides for me... At the moment.

1) no volume control - must use a separate controller.

2) no real way to get my third party remotes to work (ps3, generic Bluetooth controller, mele f10). They all *work but I can't map the keys successfully. Forget keyboard.XML ;)

For those not using it. I dony share their disappointment. For a device that didn't exist a year ago... and was just released Tuesday... I would consider this a RAGING success.

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
@XxXAnthXxX: Send it to me and let me have a go at a distro.. (; heh

I can understand why plex is the first though from what I've seen it is easier to get working on new systems.

Last edited:

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
whats going on with the ouya im nor hearing too much about it was thinking of getting one and first ive heard of plex
I guess it depends on where you are looking. I hear about OUYA all day every day. My world is in tech news, gadgets, etc. As such I hear about them often... Engadget, theverge, twitter, android police, lifehacker, etc....

jamie6666

Dec 5, 2012
im on board then gna purchase one maybe 2 if i sell the aptv2 the kids can have 1 too then

would u recommend the ouya then over apple tv2 as its worth twice the price at mo

Last edited:

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
Absolutely. in my mind... APPLE TV hardware is dead to me. It is soooo *hacky. It takes SO MUCH to keep them up, happy, and healthy. Anytime you need to do any real work, it becomes a hullabaloo of technical nastiness. i sold all of mine off when the Pivos finally hit the market with real XBMC support.

Android devices, in my mind, are the future (or rasperryPi stuff). They are all designed to be much more OPEN and WORKABLE... making them much more attractive then the Apple Hardware. I would highly recommend the OUYA boxes over ANY BOX I HAVE SEEN OR USED... including the:

ATV1
ATV2
RasperryPi
Pivos
JynxBox
Android Sticks
HTPCs
and so forth.

Is it %100 perfect? No, not yet... but it has been on the market all of 2 days. This is only the beginning, and its already more useful then these other boxes and runs smoother. I have had ZERO crashes or forced reboots with my system... a first for me in the realm of Android hardware. ;)

As long as you note what you are getting into before you get it. IT is well worth the money and your time.

jamie6666

Dec 5, 2012
apple tv 2 taught me allot ssh putty win scp just to keep it ticking over and still 720p only worry is ill have to learn a ton of new things and the bonus of retro gaming 2 so tempted also the boys will get xbmc in there room 2 seems like a no brainer......

winylisa

May 7, 2012
out of curiosity, why do you feel the Ouya is better than an htpc umOuch? I can understand the other products, each with limitations but what could Ouya do that an htpc can't?

jamie6666

Dec 5, 2012
i dont even know what htpc is just ouya v apple tv 2 for me and game stocking them 99 quid v 250 apple tv 2 via ebay seems like 2 for 1

XxAnthxX

Feb 16, 2013
@XxXAnthXxX: Send it to me and let me have a go at a distro.. (; heh

I can understand why plex is the first though from what I've seen it is easier to get working on new systems.
Are you in the UK?

There's no way in the world it could replace a HTPC, granted the Mac Mini I use as one cost over 5 times more.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the limited memory on the Ouya as a downside yet.....enough for xbmc but after downloading a few games you soon start needing to delete them to make space.

I hope it does get better, it must get better to survive, even if they have only been out a few months. (or days for none supporters/consumers)

Last edited:

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
HTPC is obviously are more powerful and a GREAT OPTION for those who want that route. For the masses, let's assume your not using windows 8 because it is God Awful ;) then you have no Netflix app... Yes, you can make little launchers to cooinside with WMC'S Netflix app if you get it up and running... But it is typically a larger machine... A louder machine... And a more expensive machine. If you are one who can argue that you can do certain things to help those matters... then you are like me, but we are not the norm.

For the masses.... The future is apps. Launch XBMC, LAUNCH NETFLIX, LAUNCH SPOTIY, LAUNCH SHADOWGUN, LAUNCH THE BROWSER, LAUNCH LAUNCH LAUNCH.

Yes we can make an HTPC do many of the same things... But that takes time, learning, testing, and adjusting... These new media devices with android... Do it all the day you get it. THEY ARE FAR FROM PERFECT, but from someone who has built and had EVERY SET UP IMAGINABLE in the past 7 years... after a while, maintenance loses its appeal. You want it all to just work with minimal efforts. This has become that for me ( I hope )

XxAnthxX

Feb 16, 2013
I can use Netflix on the Mac Mini, it is neither large or loud.....expensive yeh.

I've spent less time learning it and adjusting xbmc on it than the number of unfinished and unstable versions I've already tried on the Ouya (I still can't get the context menu up).

So as for working right out of the box...I don't think that's quite true.

winylisa

May 7, 2012
I do agree that people want things simple. Not to hijack a thread but maybe it will help someone. I have my htpc set up with google chrome opening to speed dial 2. I have this set up with 9 icons of the most used multimedia sites in my house. One of which is netflix. Turn on the computer, click on the netflix picture and you are in netflix browsing. Each icon has a picture of what it is and is linked to the site that it should be. I personally find it more of a pain to use a computer to send files to a device ie apple tv or android stick when I can just do it all on a computer. If XBMC is down cause a developer is MIA, I can go directly to the website and get whatever I want. I do not have to rely on resolvers either.

In the end it really is every person's individual choice which is better I guess. I am looking forward to Ouya having a fully functional and maintained app for XBMC through the app store they have. I can then get one for my kids room. I think I will always have an htpc as my main media player though.

Lastly, Windows 8 is a pain yes, but if you eliminate the tiles and only work on desktop it looks like windows 7 just with no start button :)

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
For the masses.... The future is apps. Launch XBMC, LAUNCH NETFLIX, LAUNCH SPOTIY, LAUNCH SHADOWGUN, LAUNCH THE BROWSER, LAUNCH LAUNCH LAUNCH.

Yes we can make an HTPC do many of the same things... But that takes time, learning, testing, and adjusting... These new media devices with android... Do it all the day you get it. THEY ARE FAR FROM PERFECT, but from someone who has built and had EVERY SET UP IMAGINABLE in the past 7 years... after a while, maintenance loses its appeal. You want it all to just work with minimal efforts. This has become that for me ( I hope )
I don't disagree with your overall point but I do disagree to a certain extent with some of what you say and I think a large part of this is probably due to my location being in the UK not the US.
In my possibly naive view you don't have too many services you need to get working Netflix and Hulu being the ones I always see mentioned,
here we are trying to deal with seperate media players from all our major broadcasters as well as streaming services like Netflix, Lovefilm, Amazon, Now TV and more I can't think of right now.
As a newcomer to Android I'm finding it far more techy than a pc is, trying to get the above mentioned apps working on two seperate Android devices has taken far more work than it would've done on pc's, from finding the right version of Flash to getting the correct APK's has been time consuming and would've been beyond the less techy family I gave one of the devices to.
Now if Ouya takes off this should become easier as all the apps should be in the same place, but this is also the case at the moment. everything should be in the Play Store but its not or it tells you your device is incompatible when its not.

Now onto the future being apps, isn't this just the new buzz word for something we've all been using for years?
I.E. a computer program! What's the difference between opening a browser app on my Android tablet or clicking on Chrome/Firefox/IE?
Or running the XBMC app compared to running the XBMC program?

Don't get me wrong I'm mightilly impressed with what very cheap Android hardware can do and once its matured a bit more will probably get a Ouya but that will be the techy side of me coming out lol.

spaceghost

Aug 20, 2012
I think as everyday past, this will get a lot better. Once they get xbmc loaded these will fly off the
shelf. Gaming is just a bonus. Cheap and portable.

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
@stammie.

You are simply proving my point. There, as I said, are those who working on and setting up an HTPC is a breeze. For those... who have a predisposition towards HTPCs, of course there will be many arguments like the bones you posted. As I said... for those, HTPCs are still clearly a better option.

As to android boxes/apks/firmware. This has all been a part of the beta process of XBMC android. Devices came onro the market prior to XBMC for android being anything other than a beta. This caused a lot of issues, but those days are dwindling if people are buying hardware from the right sources.

Hardware is only as good as its software... so investing in hardware that has ACTIVE software development... like Pivos or OUYA is essential for the experience.

As to apps vs programs... of course it is the *same. These apps enable you to make programs with a universal control experience. This is why every operating system on the planet has shifted gears towards them... Netflix is no longer dependant on the *browser in most platforms. As to the marit of which name is used to describe them... I could care less ;)