Possible sticky: How to create an advanced settings xml file to help with buffering

mulliganman

May 31, 2014
The addon is already from here by kinkin http://forums.tvaddons.co/threads/22844-RELEASE-Easy-Advanced-Settings :)

And bear in mind that 0 cache like in the video isnt going to be the magic cure for buffering problems
Good to know there is already another thread (the only thing I noticed about it is that it isn't so much a "guide" but an acknowledgement that such a tool exists). It should still probably be pinned here to because I have seen several other posts in this section of the forum about this yet no one has ever been directed to that thread that you linked.

I've also read on here that it isn't a good idea to go zero cache on the Fire TV. I should have clarified I didn't enter in the values in the video. I only used that as a guide to the process. These are the settings I am trying:

<advancedsettings>
<network>
<buffermode>1</buffermode>
<cachemembuffersize>150000000</cachemembuffersize>
<readbufferfactor>10</readbufferfactor>
</network>
</advancedsettings>

What do you think of those? I found them on another website that supposedly a developer or someone named "Ned" is using and recommending over at the official Kodi forum.

I am growing increasingly frustrated with encountering buffering on an FTV connected via ethernet when playing HD sources and sometimes even an SD one when I have 50 Mbps internet speeds. I have though about adding Gigabit powerline adapters for my other 2 FTV's connecting wirelessly now. But, not sure if that will help or not...

Last edited:

crzen

Aug 24, 2013
the most important thing, IMO, on the page mj71 linked to is the note they have.
Note: Even if you change the cache settings in XBMC, that won't change how fast the video file data comes in over the network. For example, it won't make a slow server load the video any faster.
zero cache might help in some cases. but if you have a 100GB/s connection and the host server is only transmitting at 2KB/s (due to host server load, net traffic, or host bandwidth limitations) your probably still going to buffer.
the only thing you could do is 'cache' enough of the vid before it starts playing so that it can finish "downloading to the cache" just before it can finish playing the entire file. it sounds easy, but keep in mind that the dl speeds very during the dl itself.
so there isnt really a 'magic bullit' to stop buffering. the biggest 'bang for your buck' will come from knowing which sources load faster than others and always chose the faster source.

Last edited:

mj71

Jan 13, 2013
Not sure about that off the top of my head

Failing that,you can just make the xml file on your computer and then use adbfire to push it to the fire tv

Plus what crzen added above,to add what i said in the first post,its not a magic cure all for buffering like people seem to think it is :)

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
We don't need a million Sticky's on the forum, people just need to learn how to use the Search option.

mulliganman

May 31, 2014
We don't need a million Sticky's on the forum, people just need to learn how to use the Search option.
You may be right, but how is someone new supposed to find it when it is never mentioned in threads discussing buffering issues... :confused:

Last edited:

mulliganman

May 31, 2014
Not sure about that off the top of my head

Failing that,you can just make the xml file on your computer and then use adbfire to push it to the fire tv

Plus what crzen added above,to add what i said in the first post,its not a magic cure all for buffering like people seem to think it is :)
O.K. I guess I will have to look later about that setting. I actually tried doing the xml file and sending it to my computer but was having trouble doing that. I was getting a message in the command prompt like it was sent but it would never show up under settings>file manager>profile in xbmc/tvmc. And that was following the directions tuxen gave me in an older thread which I posted in yesterday....

I realize there is not a silver bullet to solve all the issues but am looking for solutions that will help with a lot of issues....

It's quite frustrating to be able to play a video without issue in Kodi on a CPU,etc. Then try to play the same thing on a set top box being described as a great platform for Kodi and yet have issues. We are just looking for anything to help getting similar playback on the FTV as well.

Last edited:

mj71

Jan 13, 2013
You dont need to mess on with command prompts

If you use adbfire,just select the location you want to send it to and click the button to push it :)

mulliganman

May 31, 2014
You dont need to mess on with command prompts

If you use adbfire,just select the location you want to send it to and click the button to push it :)
Thanks. Didn't know that. Was looking at that last night but wasn't sure what the correct sequence was to send over a file. Do you know which button or buttons on the adb fire tool will send it over?

Last edited:

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
By the way all the settings including buffermode are included in the "create your own advancedsetting" tool

Look at the video you posted 16 seconds in ;)

Last edited:

mulliganman

May 31, 2014
By the way all the settings including buffermode are included in the "create your own advancedsetting" tool

Look at the video you posted 16 seconds in ;)
Thank you. I see it now. That's why I was asking early on in this thread because I was wondering if I hadn't.

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
I do agree with you about having a video for that add-on. but, not a video that promotes the 0cache setting.

mulliganman

May 31, 2014
I do agree with you about having a video for that add-on. but, not a video that promotes the 0cache setting.
I think it would be helpful. I think it's easy to overlook things that would be helpful from a new or inexperienced xbmc/kodi user's perspective.

I should have clarified when I posted the video that I wasn't entering the 0 cache because that isn't a good setting for the Fire TV. I already knew which settings I wished to change. If a new video isn't made, then directing others to the video but noting the 0 cache isn't a good idea would be better than nothing. The question about buffering does seem to come up a lot. I'm still surprised that no response I had seen pointed others to even the link mj provided.

Last edited:

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
The one that says push/pull files
I have very little knowledge here because for some reason buffering from online sources have not been a issue. But doesn't the new adbfire simplify this even further?
If you go to preferences there's a box to adjust it by just inputting a number and it creates the XML for you and places it in userdata on aftv.
However, I recently heard setting a 0 cache is extremely bad for fire TV, putting a serious strain on the HDD and potentially shortening the life on the aftv.
Also, there is no magic number. Its going to be different for everyone so this involves a little work, research and trial & error, to correct buffering issues on your specific unit.

mj71

Jan 13, 2013
I have very little knowledge here because for some reason buffering from online sources have not been a issue. But doesn't the new adbfire simplify this even further?
If you go to preferences there's a box to adjust it by just inputting a number and it creates the XML for you and places it in userdata on aftv.
However, I recently heard setting a 0 cache is extremely bad for fire TV, putting a serious strain on the HDD and potentially shortening the life on the aftv.
Also, there is no magic number. Its going to be different for everyone so this involves a little work, research and trial & error, to correct buffering issues on your specific unit.
Yep,but mulliganman had his own file so wanted to push that to the fire tv,so was just explaining how to send it :)