PrivateInternetAccess - Top VPN Provider

Eleazar Coding

Retired Moderator
Oct 10, 2013
Jerusalem, Israel
It is one of the top VPN providers and I've been using it for years now even though I'm not even located in the United Kingdom and don't have problems with content blocks whatsoever. I use it for security and privacy reasons and have chosen this service because of its wide array of location options and speed. This is the one I recommend and I can say that I've heard dozens of XBMC users vouch for this service so far. You'll fnd more information at the article on our blog:

http://www.xbmchub.com/blog/2013/12/09/how-to-configure-your-device-to-access-the-internet-through-a-vpn-for-enhanced-privacy-and-watch-blocked-content/

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Thanks Eleazar, I have finally decided to go with PIA under your advise and other users of these forums.

Managed to set it up on my pi using advanced launcher so I can access geo blocked channels and swap vpn locations at the touch of a button.
Really happy with it
Thanks for your reccomendation :)

jetsmike73

Dec 20, 2013
Just swapped to them myself sorted on the main pc just got to sort the pi out what guide or how did you do it to change location at a touch of a button ;-)

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Just swapped to them myself sorted on the main pc just got to sort the pi out what guide or how did you do it to change location at a touch of a button ;-)
There is a guide in this thread (VPN/PROXY discussion thread) about how to set up pia on the pi this guide lets you set up a auto connection to a chosen vpn on startup
Follow this guide but instead of putting your vpn files in storage/.config
I put them in
storage/.config/vpn-config
(It makes it neater for later on but you need to allow for this when editing your scripts)

To stop your vpn or switch vpns you need to install an addon called advanced launcher.
I will write a guide when I have some spare time as there is quite a bit to it but if you follow the guide on here it gets you half way there.

Update---------

I have extended the guide that rayw1986 had writen to allow you to swap and disconnect from within openelec on the pi its posted under Vpn section if you wanted to try it out.

Last edited:

lowdown

Mar 15, 2013
Hi to all. Will the VPN stop "Those people" from knocking on your door with their search warrants after you've downloaded a couple of movies to your device to watch at a later time.

alastairlee

Apr 22, 2014
UAE
PrivateInternetAccess is a good vpn but there are many out there better than PrivateInternetAccess... try HideMyAss, PureVPN, StrongVPN. I would suggest you visit a review webstie like vpnwebsites.com and compare vpn and also read customer reviews.

Last edited:

pr1uk

Nov 23, 2013
I am using PrivateInternetAccess and have had no problems with speed etc or anything else for that matter and they do have a good price plan.
When i start my box i start PrivateInternetAccess from their android app first then start XBMC is there any way that XBMC can be configured to start using the VPN on it's own straight away.

ChesterDraws

Jul 9, 2014
I am using PrivateInternetAccess and have had no problems with speed etc or anything else for that matter and they do have a good price plan.
When i start my box i start PrivateInternetAccess from their android app first then start XBMC is there any way that XBMC can be configured to start using the VPN on it's own straight away.
Check out **************banned tool**********

Last edited by a moderator:

johnny lager

Banned
Oct 19, 2015
Check out **************banned tool**********
Not sure what you said there ;)

I'm considering a VPN but isn't PIA based in the USA? That doesn't instill me with any confidence as under US law they probably have to keep logs and would turn it over with a court order.

I'm not doing anything that would make the Law come after me specifically but using a VPN based in the states sorta defeats the point to me?

CaBooSe666

Jan 17, 2013
Montreal Qc Canada
[/QUOTE]
I'm considering a VPN but isn't PIA based in the USA? That doesn't instill me with any confidence as under US law they probably have to keep logs and would turn it over with a court order.

I'm not doing anything that would make the Law come after me specifically but using a VPN based in the states sorta defeats the point to me?[/QUOTE]

Although im not in the states i totally agree with that....

Smartie38

May 13, 2015
According to their website they do not collect or log any traffic or use of their Virtual Private Network or Proxy. I expect they'd be an out cry of complaints if that turned out to be a false statement.

I've been using pia for over 6 months now and I have no complaints, always max out my fibre connection through their vpn too which is a bonus.

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK

os-warped

Nov 21, 2015
I have been using PIA for 3 weeks now. I have a router NightHawk r7000 DD-wrt. Setup using Seattle servers. So far my impression is not
at all good. Daytime Mbps is 5 to 10% down from what I get without vpn, good but the bad is evening Mbps drops and additional 40 to 45%.
In the forums at PIA I read many complaints of low speed using vpn sftw. or router. I don't see any complaints here about them. Or is anyone
noticing a drop in thruput in the evenings? Anyone using the same setup I am connecting to the Seattle servers? I am near to trying another vpn
service.

Delwashy

Apr 5, 2014
Bolton(England)
What about prices i just used a free VPN for 14 days i don't want to commit myself until i get a bit info it worked fine on my Android box any feedback on prices please thank you very much

jokster

Staff member
Jan 3, 2013
Tír na nÓg
No matter when I connect or where I connect to I can't get any higher than 10mb (I get 23 without VPN), I don't think I'll be renewing my pia sub.
It's fine for browsing and just about OK for streaming but that's all.
I couldn't do anything else with it.

Last edited:

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
I think PIA has become too popular. I've always had a slight drop offs but now quite frequently I get burst periods of high drop offs. It's a pain as I only 7Mbps line anyway. Although they keep adding server's I think they are still overloading. I do agree with os-warped and jokster.
If it's any consolation, I generally find connecting to the small (non-English speaking) European countries better for streaming, speed is still lower but it's a constant lower speed.

The only reason I havnt swapped is the price, and the function of being able to use 5 IP adresses per account.