problem installing 17.3 on windows 7 laptop

hotshotbarry

May 24, 2017
Hi, downloaded file & gone to run but it says i have to install platform update for windows ? never had this when I installed 16.1 any advice welcome .:confused:

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
Hi, downloaded file & gone to run but it says i have to install platform update for windows ? never had this when I installed 16.1 any advice welcome .:confused:
My advice is to simply install the platform update for Windows.

You are most probably running something like Windows 7 SP1, which is well out of date. You should install the updates anyway as there will be many security patches you are missing amongst other things. I think the reason Kodi requires the update is for the updated Direct-X version. But either way, the operating system updates will let you install the newer version of Kodi.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
It is always recommended to get all the updates for your windows version. You should also update all your drivers. I use the free version of Iobit Driver Booster for this task. You'll be amazed how may drivers need updated.

hotshotbarry

May 24, 2017
Thanks for info . Also , i've been told on this forum that I can just install 17.3 over 16.1 i've also been told elsewhere I have to un-install 16.1 first. I don't want to mess it all up . Can I just install 17.3 over 16.1 and retain all my addons and settings.
All your advice is much appreciated , years are not on my side. :rolleyes:

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
There should be no problems installing 17.3 over 16.1 without removing first. Best thing is to first backup your userdata folder before you do the update. This way, is something goes wrong with the installation, you can bring back your userdata folder.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
You can use the backup tool in Indigo or simply do a manual backup to a network device or a USB/SD card. You can use google to find the location of your Userdata folder.

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
The simple way to find the userdata folder in Windows 7 and 8 is to go to Start and type %APPDATA%\kodi\ for Windows 10 type the same in the Cortana box aka the "Type here to search" box...

Then copy the entire userdata folder to a safe backup location...

To restore a backup, copy the entire usderdata folder backup and then go and paste it over the existing one at %APPDATA%\kodi\