Problem with getting scrapers to recognize album names

wsucoug

Jul 3, 2013
I am hoping someone can help me with this. In my music collection each artist get's their own folder. In the artist folder, each album is a folder. The one thing I have done is I have the release year in parentheses after the title. For example: "Dark Side Of The Moon (1973)" - which is preventing the scrapers from recognizing the album and not downloading the information.

I do not want to remove the (date) from every album in my collection. Is there a way to get around this and have the scraper(s) ignore the date?

o9r1sh

Sep 12, 2012
Michigan
The naming scheme your using shouldn't be a problem at all for scraping. Mind if I ask which scraper your using? Also, are all of your albums failing to be scraped properly or is it only a select few?

wsucoug

Jul 3, 2013
The naming scheme your using shouldn't be a problem at all for scraping. Mind if I ask which scraper your using? Also, are all of your albums failing to be scraped properly or is it only a select few?
Thanks for the quick reply. I am using the Universal Album Scraper and TheAudioDb Album Scraper. Yes all albums are failing to be scraped.

o9r1sh

Sep 12, 2012
Michigan
Alright, If you navigate to Settings->Music within XBMC you will see a checkbox that says download additional information during updates. Do you have this option checked? If not then that is the problem.

wsucoug

Jul 3, 2013
Alright, If you navigate to Settings->Music within XBMC you will see a checkbox that says download additional information during updates. Do you have this option checked? If not then that is the problem.
Yes I have that checked. Are there additional scrapers out there I could try? If so where do I find them?

wsucoug

Jul 3, 2013
Also I should add that I removed the date, (1973), from the folder name in my example and the scraper(s) worked. However, like I mentioned, I do not want to remove the (date) from over 2000 albums.

o9r1sh

Sep 12, 2012
Michigan
To install new scrapers just navigate to Settings->Addons->Get Addons->All Addons->Album Information or Artist Information and install the scrapers like any other addon. I'd recommend trying the Univ***al Scra**rs for both Artists and Album s and see how you fare. These are the scrapers I prefer and I very rarely find an artist or album it cant handle. You'll also have to set your scrapers in music setting after download.

Alternatively you can download new scrapers by going to Settings->Music select the default service for information options and select the get more button.

Last edited:

wsucoug

Jul 3, 2013
I'd recommend trying the Univ***al Scra**rs for both Artists and Album s and see how you fare.
In Settings>Music>Library, for the "Default service for album (and artist) information" it has "Universal Album (and Artist) Scraper" for both. So do I already have what you are suggesting?

o9r1sh

Sep 12, 2012
Michigan
. So do I already have what you are suggesting?
Hmm, It appears that you do. Well I'm afraid I have run out of Ideas. Everything appears to be set up properly. The naming scheme is Identical to mine so that's not the issue. Perhaps you should upload a log file after trying to do a scrape and hopefully someone can spot the not.

wsucoug

Jul 3, 2013
Alternatively you can download new scrapers by going to Settings->Music select the default service for information options and select the get more button.
I installed each of the 7 scrapers (Universal Album Scraper, TheAudioDb Album Scraper, 1ting, Encyclopaedia Metallum, Israel-Music, Merlin.pl, Top100.cn).

I then went to the album, selected "Change Scraper"
-> "Album Information"
-> "Refresh"
It brings up a box and asks me to "Enter the album name" (which is already populated, "Dark Side of the Moon (1973)")
-> Click "Done"
It brings up a box and asks me to "Enter the artist name" (which is already populated, "Pink Floyd")
-> Click "Done"
It repeats and brings up a box and asks me to "Enter the album name" (which is already populated, "Dark Side of the Moon (1973)")

So I am stuck in a loop. I have to click the "X" to close the box and it will not scrape the info. I did this for all 7 scrapers with the same result.

So I am back where I started. I am hoping that there is a way to have the scrapers not read the (date) in the album folder name.

Are there more than those 7 scrapers out there?

o9r1sh

Sep 12, 2012
Michigan
There is no option for ignoring dates in any scraper I have seen. There are other scrapers out there but they are for foreign music, The only scrapers that I am aware of that would be capable of scraping your example album are the Universal Album Scraper and TheAudioDb Album Scraper. Being that the Universal Album Scraper isn't working properly for you it would't hurt to post your issue in the official release thread located Here. Sorry I can't be of more help.

wsucoug

Jul 3, 2013
There is no option for ignoring dates in any scraper I have seen. There are other scrapers out there but they are for foreign music, The only scrapers that I am aware of that would be capable of scraping your example album are the Universal Album Scraper and TheAudioDb Album Scraper. Being that the Universal Album Scraper isn't working properly for you it would't hurt to post your issue in the official release thread located Here. Sorry I can't be of more help.
I appreciate all of your help, Thank You. I will check out that thread.