problems after xbmc reset itself to factory default on a Linux box (not openelec)

bmike1

Feb 4, 2013
I had xbmc installed on a Linux box and all was good until I came home from work one day and found it had..... I don't know. it was as if everything had been reset back to factory default. My brother had loaded a movie for our roommates daughter and that was it (he says). Oh well! So I tried to restore my backup but I found nothing had been backed up and then I reinstalled fusion and tried to put the skin on (stupid skin won't load). Now the screen looks as if it is dimmed all of the time and programs won't mark as watched. Does anyone know what is going on?

crzen

Aug 24, 2013
try going into ~/.xbmc/userdata and rename the guisettings.xml file. then restart xbmc.it should replace the file. you might have to reinstall the skin if its not confluance. if it doesnt get you going again you can just delete the new guisettings.xml file and rename it back.

bmike1

Feb 4, 2013
it is so strange. I opened the directory o fmy backup drive amd there were files contained there. so I tried a manual restore in that I renamed the 2 files to ****.old and the restarted xbmc. well, what started was the factory default. so I cursed a little ande then renamed the changed files back to what they originally were and restarted again. what happened? the old system came back to life!

bmike1

Feb 4, 2013
wow.... just wow! I turned xbmc off.... did something..... then started it back up. it restart to factory default. I then restarted it again and all was normal. what is going on?

crzen

Aug 24, 2013
weird. is it actually going back to factory install or just looks that way because of the skin going back to confluence?. when it does this check and see if your addons, favs, and any subscriptions are still there. what skin are you using?

bmike1

Feb 4, 2013
factory default... I even have to re-add the fusion source address!
the skin I am using is backrow but that shouldn't matter as I've been using it for months with no problems until the other day.

bmike1

Feb 4, 2013
I forgot to mention that after the restart that got it back to normal it 'forgot' everything I had done to it (re add fusion, etc....)

crzen

Aug 24, 2013
I'm at a loss. I was thinking maybe something was causing the skin to crash. if it does it again you migh twant to post both the new and old logfiles.

bmike1

Feb 4, 2013
I think I figured out the problem: after exiting xbmc for some reason it exits to an unknown user sometimes. I noticed that once as I was shutting down but I can't get the error to repeat so I can't verify that is the problem.