Purchased "privateinternetaccess.com" account to use with ATV2 - now NO connection

rosscopeeco

Dec 15, 2013
Purchased "privateinternetaccess.com" account to use with ATV2 - now NO connection

HI All at hub, I'm real new to all this, so please bear with me ;-)

I've had my apple TV 2 running great for months with XBMC - Then bloody UK I.S.P have made it rubbish :-(

As recommended here on xbmchub, I purchased membership to privateinternetaccess.com for a VPN account, follow the online instructions, and double checked all my settings BUT..... I just get a "error script failed" now.

Please please help bring my beloved xbmc back to life and help me stick two fingers up at UK I.S.P's

Thanking you in advance for any help

Rossc

rosscopeeco

Dec 15, 2013
Cheers Spanky for the link to the guide. I'll give it a go later :)

Just had an online chat with representative at privateinternetaccess.com regarding this issue and he tells me Apple TV2 or ATV2 as also known, is not a supported device ??

If this is so I think the xbmchub should make this clear on this page:-

http://www.xbmchub.com/blog/2013/12/09/how-to-configure-xbmc-to-access-blocked-sites-such-as-1Ch**nel-or-project-free-tv-using-a-proxy/

Is there anybody who runs the site that I can make aware of this issue before others run into issues?

Cheers
Rossco

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
I'll look into it. Though I am fairly sure you can use this with either a jailbreak ATV2 (or puck as they are also known) or a router VPN.

wobber

Dec 16, 2013
Big thanks to FLAPSTER for this guide.

If you have android on it try this it worked for me. This was originally for ouya but worked for my droibox mx. If you have aptoide already then just download app.

1) First sign up for PIA - Get a month if you're not certain its for you (only around £5)
2) Open up your OUYA browser and go to the Aptoide website (Search for Aptiode in the browser). The website is here http://m.aptoide.com/ for reference
3) Click on the "install Aptoide" icon at the top of the page. This should start the download of Aptoide.
4) Go to the Ouyas advanced settings and go to downloads to install Aptoide (Same as if you were installing a sideload).
5) Go to your Make menu and software, the Aptoide Icon should now be there.
6) Open it up and do a search for "VPN by private internet access" - It should have a picture of a little green androidy robot. Here it is if you get stuck http://m.darkpsytrancer.store.aptoid...ernet Access
7) This should download and install PIA
8) Go back into Make again and you should see PIA as an Icon.
9) With the actual PIA app you will need the touch pad to navigate around it - Put in your PIA user name and password. It should now connect by default to a server with the lowest latency (Typically UK ones London/Southampton) To change this "double tap" the location and it should open up a list of locations. Choose the best one for your needs
10) I recommend going into the settings and have it start on Boot. What this will do is as soon as you turn on your OUYA, after a reboot, go straight into the APP so you can choose to connect. When you have chosen just "A" button out and the spash screen will come up and the OUYA will start, connected to your chosen server location.

One thing I did notice, is that if you want to change server location, always disconnect from your current location first before choosing a new one.

Hope this helps

wobber

Last edited:

rosscopeeco

Dec 15, 2013
HI Showgun and thanks for reply / comment / offer to look into it.

I messaged private-internet-access.com and forwarded them a link to the XBMCHUB page with the instructions to set it up on xbmc, here's link i sent them:-

http://www.xbmchub.com/blog/2013/12/09/how-to-configure-xbmc-to-access-blocked-sites-such-as-1Ch**nel-or-project-free-tv-using-a-proxy/

And here is the response i received back from them today. I hope it means something to you, I'm very novice with all this and rely on the expertise of people at xbmchub and tutorials that i can follow.

There reply
"Thanks for contacting us. I have reviewed that guide and I see the problem. The issue is, the guide is actually incorrect. In the instructions, it says to choose HTTP for the proxy type, then ad our proxy server. Unfortunately, this will not work, as our proxy is a SOCKS5 proxy, not an HTTP proxy. Unless XBMC supports SOCKS5, then it will not be possible to set up our service in this software. Please let me know if there are further questions.

Thanks,

Calien M, Level II Tech Support
Private Internet Access™ "

Again thanks for any help you can offer, hopefully this will be of use to other UK ATV2 - XBMC users

Rossco

HANNAH

Jun 26, 2013
Yes I purchased a month to try it out on a Matricom gbox. As you can only use http it won't work. If the instructions had been correct I wouldn't have wasted my money.

BombHead

Dec 2, 2013
Pluto
Hi Pal. Have you tried adding the VPN to your router ? This way all of your traffic will run through the VPN. I dont know enough about apple TV for a workaround, but here's what I found on the Apple forums on this issue https://discussions.apple.com/message/13130946#13130946
Hi Flapster, i was just about to post a thread on this topic until i found your comment. You may or may not be aware of my previous posts about the trustworthiness of VPN Providers but i have decided to give one a go subject to thorough research. Having said that i absolutely do not have a clue about VPN and wondered if you could help.

My first question is, if i decide on a vpn and i assume it is a software program, where do i install the program?
On my PC or on the Android tv box?

I assume i can't somehow install it on my router or is there a way?

Any help would be greatfuly appreciated.

All others reading this comment please feel free to add your info.

Sambo

Dec 17, 2013
Having the same problem! I followed the guide and bought the VPN but get script failed too.

Makes sense that it's not a HTTP proxy so therefore wouldn't work, how can we work around this?

Is it easy enough to add the details to the router settings and then my whole network will run through the VPN?

Massive novice too so all help is massively appreciated!

Sambo

Dec 17, 2013
Having the same problem! I followed the guide and bought the VPN but get script failed too.

Makes sense that it's not a HTTP proxy so therefore wouldn't work, how can we work around this?

Is it easy enough to add the details to the router settings and then my whole network will run through the VPN?

Massive novice too so all help is massively appreciated!

Flapster

Nov 13, 2013
The Black Country, UK
Hi @bombhead. From my experience, different systems have different methods. For example, with Priviate internet access on windows there is a system tray app that you click to start and change locations. For my iPad and phone I put the details in the VPN settings in settings, for my OUYA there is an android app that I used from Aptoid

You can put a VPN on a router, though it does depend on router brand and if they have a setting for it. You can flash some routers with "open" firmware if necessary though

What system(s) are you using XBMC with?

BombHead

Dec 2, 2013
Pluto
Hi @bombhead. From my experience, different systems have different methods. For example, with Priviate internet access on windows there is a system tray app that you click to start and change locations. For my iPad and phone I put the details in the VPN settings in settings, for my OUYA there is an android app that I used from Aptoid

You can put a VPN on a router, though it does depend on router brand and if they have a setting for it. You can flash some routers with "open" firmware if necessary though

What system(s) are you using XBMC with?
Hi Flapster, I have a Wireless Netgear DGN2200 Router/Modem Hardwired to my PC Also the Router is hardwired to my Android TV Box That has XBMC Installed. The Android TV Box is Connected to a TV next to my PC Monitor so that i can read of this site and play around with XBMC at the same time. I do not have XBMC on My PC. Does that make sense?

Last edited:

BombHead

Dec 2, 2013
Pluto
Not sure on the router side, but this may help...I think it's the right one http://www.manualslib.com/manual/397224/Netgear-Dgn2200v1.html?page=95#manual. Which android box are you using ?
Here are the specs.

Operation System

Google Android 4.2

CPU

Quad-core up to 1.8GHz,quad-core GPU

RAM

DDR3 2GB

Internal Memory

Built-in 8G memory

Memory External

Support External Storage via. TF card, Support up to 32GB

Networking

WiFi 802.11b/g/n 10/100Mbps With internal Antenna

Graphics Type

Integrated Graphics Mali400, Supports 1080P video (1920*1080)

Ports

2 x USB 2.0 Host

1 X Mini HDMI Output

1 X RJ45 Output

1 x AV output port

1 x OTG ( Mini USB )

1 x TF card slot

1 X DC interface

Power

100-240V, Output: 5V/2A

Device Specification

Dimensions

1208mm * 120mm * 10mm

Package weight

564g

Color

Black

Software Performance

Android Market

Support Android Market Google Play

Flash Player

Support Adobe Flash 11

Gaming

Built-in 3D Accelerator. Support 3D gaming

Email

Gmail, POP3/SMTP/IMAP4.

Emailing is easier than ever before when there is network connection

Multi-Media

Video

Mpeg1/2/4.H.264,VC-1,Divx,Xvid,RM8/9/10,VP6,Video Formats: MKV,TS,TP,M2TS,RM/RMVB,BD-ISO,AVI,MPG,VOB,DAT,ASF,TRP,FLV etc full formats

Audio

Audio Decoding:DTS,AC3,LPCM,FLAC,HE-AAC

Audio Formats: MP3,OGG,WMA,WMAPRO

Picture

JPEG, PNG, BMP, GIF

E-Book

PDF, TXT etc.

BombHead

Dec 2, 2013
Pluto
What's the name of the box? If you can get onto the google play store and install apps, there should be an app called "VPN by priviate internet access" this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.privateinternetaccess.android&hl=en_GB I use this on my OUYA.
I hope it's ok to put link on here.

This is the box.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quad-Android-1-8GHz-Output-HI718/dp/B00E7OSRBE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387322509&sr=8-1&keywords=android+quad+core#productDetails

Eleazar Coding

Retired Moderator
Oct 10, 2013
Jerusalem, Israel
We might have been incorrect in the guide that states that you can configure the proxy directly through XBMC in that case, however you can definitely still configure the VPN or proxy through your router itself easily using the instructions on their site. That's only an issue when it comes to Apple TV or Linux installations, they have their own apps for iPad, Android, Windows, Mac, and more which will allow you to configure the VPN directly to your device.

Flapster

Nov 13, 2013
The Black Country, UK
The app "should" work if you download it from the playstore and configure it. What I'd suggest is take out a months subscription to PIA (it's about £5ish), download the app from the playstore and see how you get on.