Question about buffering while watching movies

obsidianwings

Jan 11, 2016
Hi,
i'm able to stream tv episodes fine, but often when watching movies I either can't get it to load enough at the beginning to get it to start without stopping to buffer again nearly straight away, or occasionally it will seem to go well then suddenly do this part way through. Right now I am using SA*TS, but have had this issue in the past also.
It seems like no matter how long I leave it I can't buffer enough of the movie so that I don't catch up to it. I'm thinking this can be solved by adjusting the advanced settings which i've done some research and know how to do (though if anyone thinks it could be something else then please let me know), but not sure what I should set the buffer at, of course i want it as big as possible, but don't want to slow my box down.
I am using an android box (Kaiser Baas SMP), when I check in the android settings it says I have 486mb of free ram (this is having no apps open, just settings and background processes) and 303mb used.

Whats everyones thoughts on what the best setting would be? I know it uses 3x the amount of ram as the amount you have the cache set at, but not sure how much RAM i need left for everything to run smooth.

Thanks

obsidianwings

Jan 11, 2016
Sorry, should've mentioned. This box is using wifi and gets about 30-35mbps, unfortunately not practical to wire this one right now, but I have another that is wired in that gets about 40mbps so not a huge difference anyway.
Will likely adjust the settings on them both, but more concerned about my main one running wifi right now.

obsidianwings

Jan 11, 2016
Thanks, but I can't right now. You don't think changing the cache settings will help at all? I was hoping that was the problem as I have zero issues streaming tv episodes.

obsidianwings

Jan 11, 2016
Since there were no responses re how big of a cache and I can't hardwire it yet I decided to have a bit of a fiddle. In kodi free memory was around 490mb, but since I wasn't sure if using it all would slow my box down I decided to work from a more conservative number of 400. So 400/3 x1024 x1024 = 139810133 so I used that for cache. I then decided to change the readbufferfactor also, advice on how to set this seemed to be a bit all over the place, so I started conservatively with 7, and after a few tests worked my way up to 15.

After a small amount of testing I don't think I will need to change either of those settings again, it is buffering 1000 times better than before, and so far I have had no negative affects from changing it at all. The real test will be tonight when I sit down and watch a couple of movies, but so far, excellent. Thought I would update in case anyone googles for settings for the kodi cache on the kaiser baas SMP.

I guess I probably should've just tried it myself in the first place, I was just worried about whether/how much RAM I needed to leave free.

mwake

Mar 18, 2015
Since there were no responses re how big of a cache and I can't hardwire it yet I decided to have a bit of a fiddle. In kodi free memory was around 490mb, but since I wasn't sure if using it all would slow my box down I decided to work from a more conservative number of 400. So 400/3 x1024 x1024 = 139810133 so I used that for cache. I then decided to change the readbufferfactor also, advice on how to set this seemed to be a bit all over the place, so I started conservatively with 7, and after a few tests worked my way up to 15.

After a small amount of testing I don't think I will need to change either of those settings again, it is buffering 1000 times better than before, and so far I have had no negative affects from changing it at all. The real test will be tonight when I sit down and watch a couple of movies, but so far, excellent. Thought I would update in case anyone googles for settings for the kodi cache on the kaiser baas SMP.

I guess I probably should've just tried it myself in the first place, I was just worried about whether/how much RAM I needed to leave free.
Let us know if what happened please, many thanks

obsidianwings

Jan 11, 2016
Let us know if what happened please, many thanks
I only ended up watching one movie, but it was nearly 3 hours long and played great. I paused it for 4-5 minutes at the beginning while we got ready to watch and in that time it loaded about 1/5 of the way through, and then it stayed that far ahead for the entire movie. Normally no matter how long I left it paused at the beginning it would never buffer past the blue line even on a smaller normal length movie so there is definitely a vast improvement. There was no slowing of the box or crashing or any other issue.
If I discover any problems I will report back with what happened and how I fixed it but as it stands right now it seems like these are great settings for this device

Dragonnn

Nov 7, 2015
Most of the times the problems are just slow sources butadvanced settings can improve things , you should try a 1080p source torba.se on SA*TS, that one is always giving me issues and never buffers but the other ones play without a problem i can even skip to 1 hour of a movie and it will continue playing without buffering

hurst2001

Dec 10, 2013

I tried these setting but I think there's better out there...I am running a q-box with Jarvis 16.3 rc sd plays fine but HD buffed a lot..also it is wired running 75 megs .anybody have any suggest for advance settings ...Thanks

filly

Jan 31, 2013
Canada
Try a real debrid account. I have the best luck if I pick medium links versus high links. I have been told to stay away from advanced settings on Android boxes.

chief

Feb 15, 2016
also don't forget that buffering issues are not always due to your system and/or your wifi connection..
streaming sites may choke outgoing streams, since they want you to watch on their sites, where you are shown advertisements. this wa they earn money. if you stream directly to your kodi device the ads are not shown. so they choke the bandwith.

it's a try and error thing to sort out the best streaming sites.

what i do is run kodi on my htpc setup with plasma tv and small monitor attached. i run kodi on the plasma screen and windows source control on the monitor. this way i can see the bandwith used when streaming.
i try several and different streams and see which one has the highest bandwith, and which one stays on that high bandwith. (some site open streams with high bandwith and choke it after a short time)
this way i get a list of best streaming sites for me and i'll put these ones on top of my list. now i'm always sure of good and fast streams in autoplay.

and yes fiddling with advancedsettings helps some to.. but the streaming sites are often forgotten when buffering issues are present.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Fusion Installer 0
C Kodi Support 0
H Apple TV 2 1