Request Question Regarding Updating to Kodi 16

wombat1899

Mar 19, 2016
I have an amazon firestick with Kodi 15.2 and a custom build on it. Kodi has been messing up so I was going to update and sideload Kodi 16 onto it...will I be able to keep all the features of the custom build or is that erased once the new Kodi is installed? Thanks.

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
If you mean you downloaded & installed someone else's 'custom build' then it's likely this is actually the cause of your problems! As to whether or not your features are kept, we can't say for sure. I'd asked the person who built your 'custom build' only they will know for sure. Personally I'd wipe the lot & install from fresh, but it's your choice :)

wombat1899

Mar 19, 2016
If you mean you downloaded & installed someone else's 'custom build' then it's likely this is actually the cause of your problems! As to whether or not your features are kept, we can't say for sure. I'd asked the person who built your 'custom build' only they will know for sure. Personally I'd wipe the lot & install from fresh, but it's your choice :)
i got my firestick preloaded from ebay...this was prior to discovering this wonderful website...but i like the way they have it set up but now the kodi isn't working right and in a previous post i was told that upgrading could resolve the problem. my hope was to upgrade but keep their cool set up if that makes sense.

dannyboyno7

Mar 29, 2016
Hi, i have a similar issue! Bought a pre loaded firestick from eBay, really liked the build, (custom apollo) but then kodi started to play up, i updated kodi through the firestarter menu at first but this didnt solve the problem, i then found a really helpfull tip on this site to turn off the internet & update the urlresolve, which worked great, can now launch kodi.
However very few of my addons now work, i keep getting an error check log message! I think the apollo build needs updating but get the same error when trying to load ares wizzard & apollo updater!
Also the skin i was using has now changed (aeon nox 5 maniac) the menu is very transparent and is difficult to see which icon is highlited when navigating and text is hard to read.
I apologise for such a long winded post but if you where able to solve your issue and or anyone has any tips on how to solve mine, i would be very gratefull of any advice.
Thanx

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
Hi dannyboyno7,

If you know the cause of the problem is with the Apollo build\Wizard you are using then there's nothing here we can do about it. We don't have the code or information as to what this Wizard has done to Kodi, that's something only the author of this Wizard will be able to address I'm afraid.

If you can say for certain that your problems have absolutely nothing to do with this Wizard then you stand a chance of getiing some help, but if you don't know if it's causing it or not then.......neither do we. Anything someone suggests as a fix would be based on how a clean Kodi works when what you have has been changed in ways by the Wizard you and we don't know. On the surface you can see the skin has been changed and the menus made difficult to read, underneath the hood who knows what other changes have been made?

With builds and Wizards like the one you have we just don't have the information to tell what is a genuine problem with Kodi or the add-ons you use and what is down to the build. Sorry, that's one of the drawbacks of relying on someone else to install things for you, you don't know what they've done. In this case I'm afraid the only tip you're likely to get is to wipe Kodi clean and start again from scratch, but don't worry just ask and people will point you towards how to do it. It's not as difficult as it sounds, people with similar problems as yours with little knowledge of how to go about things with Kodi are doing it all the time. Honest, just check out some of the Forums!

Plus you'll have the added benefit of being in control of your Firestick and not having to rely on anyone else to decide what you can and can't do with it. I'd call that a win-win situation all round :)

dannyboyno7

Mar 29, 2016
Thanx for the reply Stoofer, i was a little worried that is what i'd have to do (reset) but i've seen a few sections on fresh start and similar so will give it a go!
Cheers!