Questions about speed

lenniepaz

Aug 19, 2013
I'm still trying learn about the Pi,and I'm coming from a PC setup of XBMC. Obviously the Pi isn't going to be as fast as my PC, but I do have some questions.

1. I have the Pi overclocked with the turbo settings(1000/500/500), and an over voltage of 6. It seems to be much quicker now, but are those settings pushing the limit of my Pi?

2. I ordered the Transcend JetFlash 700 USB 3.0 8 GB flash drive, but it hasn't been delivered yet. I went to MicroCenter, and they had a 16 GB 3.0 flash drive for $10, so I picked one up. How do I know if it's equal to, or as good as the Transcend?

3. One of the biggest differences I am noticing between the Pi and my PC setup, is when I go to watch a movie from some of the add-ons. If I click on one of the movie sources, it takes a little while for the list of movies to load, and on my PC it was instant. Also, when I click on an actual movie to watch, it takes at least 30 seconds or more, for the list of hosts to pop up. Again, on my PC setup, they came up instantly. What is the biggest reason for that, the Pi just doesn't have as much power as my PC, or could that be caused by the MicroCenter flash drive not being as good as the Transcend?

4. When I clicked on Ic*f*lms for the first time, a message came up about a bunch of metadata that needed to be downloaded. I noticed the download speeds were awful(300 kb/s), and on my PC, I was getting 3 MB/s when I was downloading the metadata. The Pi took an hour to download the metadata, and my PC only took a couple minutes. Both the Pi and my PC, are hardwired, and connected to the same router. Why would the Pi have much lower download speeds?

Last edited:

takumi

May 16, 2013
Read the reviews on the micrcenter website and draw your own conclusion.

If it allows you to overclock openelec/RPi to the highest settings than it's getting the job done and that's all that matters. For the record I have the same 16GB SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Flash Drive and it works great for me. The Transcend JetFlash you ordered won't be any better.

Code:
16GB SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Flash Drive
http://www.microcenter.com/product/385309/16GB_SuperSpeed_USB_30_Flash_Drive

MarkRich

Banned
May 13, 2012
The MicroCenter drive I have USB3.0 8GB is HELLA slow. Did speed tests on it, their SD cards aren't bad though when compared to others for the price.

As far as your PC.. You're comparing a processor/memory probably 3x faster than the Pi.. What do you expect? A $35 board is not going to load stuff as fast as a PC. Ever. lol

That's like comparing my iPad loading menus faster than the Pi. Now, with overclocking involved, you'll see a large increase in speed, plus metadata definitely takes a bit to load unless it's preloaded. Too many variables, but you can't compare a Pi to a PC or any other hardware for that matter.

As far as the Ic*f*lms metadata, it's a 2mb file, so that's insane if it took that long. I've never seen it take that long unless the host of the metadata was literally drowned with bandwidth at that moment.

lenniepaz

Aug 19, 2013
The MicroCenter drive I have USB3.0 8GB is HELLA slow. Did speed tests on it, their SD cards aren't bad though when compared to others for the price.

As far as your PC.. You're comparing a processor/memory probably 3x faster than the Pi.. What do you expect? A $35 board is not going to load stuff as fast as a PC. Ever. lol

That's like comparing my iPad loading menus faster than the Pi. Now, with overclocking involved, you'll see a large increase in speed, plus metadata definitely takes a bit to load unless it's preloaded. Too many variables, but you can't compare a Pi to a PC or any other hardware for that matter.

As far as the Ic*f*lms metadata, it's a 2mb file, so that's insane if it took that long. I've never seen it take that long unless the host of the metadata was literally drowned with bandwidth at that moment.

Mark, thanks for the info. I know that the Pi won't be as fast as my PC, but was wondering if the MicroCenter USB was causing it to be a little slower than it should be. As far as Ic*f*lms, the first notification I got was for a 2 MB file, and then something else popped up with a bigger file. I think it was for fanart maybe, and was close to 200 MB. That's the file that took almost an hour, and on my PC, it only took a few minutes. Should there be a big difference in download speeds between the Pi and my PC?