Quick review of hp mini 200-010 windows stream box

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
bought from b and h photo. Paid for it Sunday received it Thursday.

First impression is the blueish purple is extremely ugly, its slightly bigger than most boxes, I wouldn't want to look at this thing so I hid mine behind my bose soundtouch 30. You have to be able to hit the on off switch so you can't totality bury it.

Windows with bing is preinstalled no licenses are needed, took 5 minutes to get it up and running, I was very impressed with how fast and easy it was to set up.

Xbmc was simple to install and I had my userdata and addon files all ready to copy so that only took a few minutes.

It has a fan, you can hear it run, it does dump hot air back into your room, this is the sticky part for me. I hate fans and heat Florida is hot and I don't like adding heat to my room, I knew this unit had a fan, no surprise there, but in all fairness it is very quiet but you can hear it with no volume on the tv. It doesn't dump a whole lot of heat out and really none when the unit is idle.

Then there's the power light on the button, when the unit goes into sleep mode the light flashes and lights up the whole room when its dark. Its just like an "eat at joes " flashing neon light in the middle of the night. Today my task will be to take it out of its case which is very easy, and put a blob of potting over the light bulb to either drastically dim it or wipe it out altogether not sure where ill go with this.

The entire guts come right out of the case so the user can swap drives or ram memory.
I have blocked off led lights on just about every device I've ever owned.
My pet peeve is no fans, no lights, and no heat dumps. Once I block the flashing light I believe the unit will work for me even though it has a fan, it just makes my threshold of acceptance in that category.

Windows and the unit work solid as a rock. Hp really made a good solid piece of hardware with this model. Its a windows 8.1 tank through and through.

I did delete several bloatware programs and disabled as much as possible.

This box will only serve my master bedroom tv for Xbmc purposes, it will never see any files or pictures or office programs or any of the typical desktop tasks.

I watched a hockey game on Pho*nix and I was very impressed with the video output quality.
The picture was stable, there certainly wasn't any jitters or flickering as noticed on the typical androids. I'm very pleased with the picture quality.

So it looks like a keeper, I just have to block off the led light on the on off switch and ill be good.
It us the ugliest box I've ever owned that's for sure but it works flawlessly and I am happy to own it.

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
Thanks for the info on this box
If you're only using it for Kodi you might want to look into running Launcher4kodi
Code:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=136798&highlight=launcher4kodi
I installed this on my little Pipo mini PC and from power on to Kodi working is around 10 seconds (I haven't put a stop watch on it to find out the true speed of boot up but its pretty damn fast and may even be quicker than 10 seconds)
the other thing is if you use this and select the Kodi shell option you will have less processes running which might help with fan noise and heat dumps.

What's the wireless like on it? Is it wireless N 150 or 300 and also how's the signal it receives as there's no external antenna?

Also is your Kodi use limited to just addons? If not I for one would be interested in what files and codecs it handles and also how well it handles interlaced content

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
I basically stream sports with it and watch videos on my hard drive via my router.
I am a very simple man in that respect . I hardly use addons any more I own all TV series and movies that I'll want to watch for the rest of my life. I'm not like the rest of the community . I really don't like new movies or TV shows . My wife can't understand but I'm very happy with my tv viewing habits.

I appreciate the tip though with the launcher I may try that out down the road.
I haven't tested wireless yet I am all wired. Bluetooth remote by favi is working good.

Last edited:

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
OK so I put a little duct seal on the power led and its nice and dim now, haven't noticed any significant heat at all, it must have been break in heat. Not noticing the fan at all either. For once I am sporting a tv box with a good name such as HP. It's Ugly, but it sure works good.

I'm very content now with this thing. I'm going to keep this one for awhile.

BTW there IS a nice sized wifi antenna just under the top cover for the guy who asked earlier. No I haven't tested it but I'm sure its going to work well just by the looks of it. HP is nothing like tronsmart.

nemsis72

Jul 17, 2015
Boston
I also own an hp stream mini. I use it strictly for Kodi. Way better than those chinese android boxes! Didn't even have to upgrade the ram. Straight out the box I uninstalled most of the bloatware. Installed Kodi, along with tvaddons fusion's Configure wizard. And ******* maintenance... Loving it!!! Bye bye cable tv. Getting a second model for the bedroom.... works great with the wireless Logitech k400r keyboard!

d_dagger

Mar 30, 2015
This is a great little box. I too use it almost exclusively for Kodi. As already mentioned it works like a charm. I did upgrade the ram but really there's not a huge difference (as far as I can tell). Mine was the signature edition so not much bloatware to uninstall. Grabbed a Logitech k400 as well as a cheap windows controller off amazon which greater improves ease of use. Plays just about everything-love it!

ETA- hardwired and 60 DL internet

Last edited: