Raspberry Pi v.2 model B

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Woke up this morning and saw this thread posted at the org

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=217040

So ive just ordered myself one !!

Should receive it tommorow sometime. Looks like this could really be a decent little Kodi device with around 6x the performance increase of the old b+

Broadcom BCM2836 900MHz ARM Cortex-A7 quad-core processor with VideoCore IV dual-core GPU
GPU provides Open GL ES 2.0, hardware-accelerated OpenVG, and 1080p30 H.264 high-profile decode
GPU is capable of 1Gpixel/s, 1.5Gtexel/s or 24GFLOPs with texture filtering and DMA infrastructure
1GB LPDDR2 SDRAM
HD 1080p video output
Composite video (PAL/NTSC) output
Stereo audio output
10/100 BaseT RJ45 Ethernet socket
HDMI 1.3 & 1.4 video/audio socket
3.5mm 4-pole audio/composite video out jack socket
4 x USB 2.0 sockets
15-way MPI CSI-2 connector for Raspberry Pi HD video camera (775-7731)
15-way Display Serial Interface connector
MicroSD card socket
Boots from MicroSD card, running a version of the Linux operating system (See Note below)
40-pin header for GPIO and serial buses (compatible with Raspberry Pi Model B 26-pin header)
Header footprint for JTAG connector
Power supply: +5V @ 2A via microUSB socket
Dimensions: 86 x 56 x 20mm
Looks like it can run the same distributions also there's going to be a compatible version of Microsoft's Windows 10T

I'll keep this thread updated once I receive it.

Last edited:

Shaka04

Dec 24, 2014
Just ordered myself one too! Is it just a case of simply putting the microSD card into the new Raspberry Pi?

Shaka04

Dec 24, 2014
I run xbmc using RaspBMC at the moment. I have just ordered a new MicroSD card however... I originally ordered my Raspberry Pi that came bundled with a pre-loaded card which had NOOBS on it. Can I just download NOOBS and run it on the new Pi or do I need to wait for new versions of RaspBMC? (Sorry - I am a complete newbie to this really!)

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
I'm not sure yet. If it is compatible, I'm not sure if it will take advantage of the pi v.2 upgrades.
At this moment it looks like the only image available for the pi v.2 is "snappy Ubuntu core" which will probably replace raspbian as the default distro.

I know you use raspbmc but I expect it will take a little longer for the new img to be released. However the openelec team is bigger so I expect by the time ours arrive there will be a openelec image we can use.
Don't worry though, it's pretty easy and I'll be able to help you get openelec running.

Shaka04

Dec 24, 2014
Ah great - thanks! :) I should receive the new Pi tomorrow, as well as a new MicroSD card. Will bookmark this thread if you don't mind giving me a bit of help in the next few days?

richiebrowns

Jan 12, 2014
Be interesting to see how much faster the new Pi2 performs with a quad core. Loved the original Pi but found it way to slow for xbmc with a large multi tb external hdd library.

woodypecker

Dec 16, 2012
i have one myself with latest raspbmc downloaded image working fine with Pho*nix hockey as well

woodypecker

Dec 16, 2012
They still are a bit slow at default settings but of course can overclock. and hey they work and are cheap. Also recommends 2.0 amp power supply as apposed to 1.0 for the other pi. Hopefully you are using an hdmi cable as the new 3.5mm 4 post audio/video jack isnt that great of video.
Code:
http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Model-B-Plus-Audio-Video-Jack-Diagram.png

Last edited:

Shaka04

Dec 24, 2014
They still are a bit slow at default settings but of course can overclock. and hey they work and are cheap. Also recommends 2.0 amp power supply as apposed to 1.0 for the other pi. Hopefully you are using an hdmi cable as the new 3.5mm 4 post audio/video jack isnt that great of video.
Code:
http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Model-B-Plus-Audio-Video-Jack-Diagram.png
No, I do use the HDMI port straight into the TV. Just a little concerned about this talk of having to wait for a new/compatible version of RaspBMC and/or OpenElec. I currently run Kodi using RaspBMC. Hoping for a straight swap of the SD card...

streamsfine

Jan 16, 2014
Thanks invisable! Just ordered one as well. Hopefully we can use our current builds with little tweaks. :)

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
i have one myself with latest raspbmc downloaded image working fine with Pho*nix hockey as well
Can I be cheeky and ask how you got one early, they only got released today :)

I'd be interested in how much you can push the overclock 1000Mhz quad core could be a big improvement.

Last edited:

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
Woke up this morning and saw this thread posted at the org

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=217040

So ive just ordered myself one !!

Should receive it tommorow sometime. Looks like this could really be a decent little Kodi device with around 6x the performance increase of the old b+

Looks like it can run the same distributions also there's going to be a compatible version of Microsoft's Windows 10

I'll keep this thread updated once I receive it.
Definitely looks cool! First instinct was to grab one but I'm out of space around the modem for Ethernet connections. And above that all hdmi ports are occupied.
You know of a quality dual band WiFi adapter that might be compatible but won't turn this into a $100 or higher project?
I'm thinking my son could use it just to have a Windows machine. Maybe it'd spark some interest and he'd learn a little something too. But I need it to perform relatively well over WiFi and would like to keep it at or under 70 bucks (obviously that includes sd card, power adapter and usb 3.0 if necessary.) Thanks for posting!
I can't wait to see some users videos to see this in action...

splatee

Aug 28, 2013
I have been looking to upgrade my Pi the last few months and saw this new one. I really like my Pi but looking for faster working when in the menus. I have not seen anywhere if it is still recommended to use a USB 3.0 flash drive for Openelec?

Thank you

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
Video demos starting showing up yesterday. I'd share but my phone doesn't seem to be able to access thelinks to copy. You could just Google "raspberry pi v2 2015" and click videos.
For practical reasons I couldn't get a good read. They played mine craft and it used 5% cpu. I don't play mine craft but the man in the demo seemed impressed. And it looked pretty smooth.
I'd love to see a demo of openelec to see how fast navigation is. Rpi is still my most reliable kodi experience but the speeds unfortunately made me switch to aftv in the living room.
If this upgrade means double the speed I could see selling one of my aftvs.