Raspberry Pi v.2 model B

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Well the pi 2 turned up today, and I'm impressed.

With no overclock the arm frequency runs at 600MHz and dynamically steps up to 900MHz when needs to.
I've seen it step up to 900MHz once and that was because I was updating my library as well as downloading some add-ons.

I'm running a very slight overclock now to see how it gets on. Don't want to push it too far at the moment and it is quick enough in my opinion but for those interested my overclock settings are:

arm_freq=950
force_turbo=1
gpu_mem_1024=256

No crashes so far....

Last edited:

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
With all the sources enabled I counted about 17 seconds to pull up links for taken 3.
Menu navigation is pretty smooth, I have noticed on the pi version of openelec 5.0.1 they have now removed total duration on movie list. This made a difference on millhouse builds on my old b+

Last edited:

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
..I'm also interested in the navigation speeds. And what running it off USB 3 with higher oc settings would look like.
Probably smart to not push it too much to start. I look forward to hearing more.
Oh. What power supply are you using?
Edit--sorry. Must've been writing when you were posting that. Sounds great so far!

Last edited:

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
..I'm also interested in the navigation speeds. And what running it off USB 3 with higher oc settings would look like.
Probably smart to not push it too much to start. I look forward to hearing more.
Oh. What power supply are you using?
At the moment my only spare card is a class 4 so I'm stuck with a inferior card. However all fan art is showing nearly instantly. I did run it off my usb 3.0 stick first off but swapped back to the sd card as the difference was minimal.

I suppose when you think about it now we have a whole core running at 900Mhz to run all your python scripts (addons) and another to run openelec and 2 spare. Pretty good really for £27

My psu is a old BT router supply runs at 3amp 5.15 volts.

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
At the moment my only spare card is a class 4 so I'm stuck with a inferior card. However all fan art is showing nearly instantly. I did run it off my usb 3.0 stick first off but swapped back to the sd card as the difference was minimal.

I suppose when you think about it now we have a whole core running at 900Mhz to run all your python scripts (addons) and another to run openelec and 2 spare. Pretty good really for £27

My psu is a old BT router supply runs at 3amp 5.15 volts.
Yes. It really is an amazing deal, especially if you've got a sdcard lying around and power.
I'm going to wait to see some videos of it running OE and see how it looks. Sounds promising so far. Thanks for the update!

Dunkle

Jun 5, 2013
Pi 2 with latest OpenElec using following in config.txt

arm_freq=950
force_turbo=1
gpu_mem=256

Boots from power on in 7 seconds
Menus and transitions as smoot as on any device yet tried (including my I5 PC)

Only thing it struggled with, well in comparison with NUC is building my media library from my NUC etc - probably 3 times as long to build, but once built its fine

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
@Dunkle i did manage to get it running at 1000Mhz did require a slight overvolt if your interested:

arm_freq=1000
core_freq=500
sdram_freq=500
over_voltage=2
force_turbo=1

Been stable for days,after reading one of popcornmix's posts, I think this will be one of the reccomended overclock settings when they get round to writing the new rpiconfig wiki. Anyway I'm not going to push Mine anymore then this. I just wanted to get it running at 1000MHz

Last edited:

ute

Dec 16, 2012
Thanks for the info

And this without USB3 ?

on a class4 SD ?

Last edited:

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
Did you order this through one of the RPI retailers? I remember having issues finding one to take PayPal for b+. Wound up paying a few bucks more on eBay. You got overnight delivery? Thanks.

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Thanks for the info

And this without USB3 ?

on a class4 SD ?
Yep, it's the only card I've got left lol.
Although it's class 4 rated it seems to read at 6MB/ps though.

I did first run it off my usb3.0 stick but honestly, I didn't notice much difference. Fanart shows up about 1/2 second quicker maybe. But that's probably due to the sd card I'm using.

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Did you order this through one of the RPI retailers? I remember having issues finding one to take PayPal for b+. Wound up paying a few bucks more on eBay. You got overnight delivery? Thanks.
I'm in UK so I ordered from RS.

Both CPC Farnell & RS Components are official stock holders here in the UK, if you order before 6pm it's usually next day delivery.

Dunkle

Jun 5, 2013
Thanks for the info

And this without USB3 ?

on a class4 SD ?
I gave up using a USB on the Pi 1 a few builds back as found could get same stable overclocking speeds with just a good SD card
Never noticed any speed differences etc over the last few builds

Using Pi 2 with class 10 8GB micro SD card and its flying
boots from cold in just on 7 seconds
menu transitions etc are as smooth as my celeron based NUC
only time it "slows" is when building my initial library (600+ films and few dozen TV shows) - here its probably lot slower than NUC, but hey its a one time only thing

Its also a little slower when first opening stream lists in Genesis, but only a little, and should a stream fail, then bring list up again is instant

Dunkle

Jun 5, 2013
at 950 with force overclock
cant see, with needs as are, to increase it any more

spanky

Dec 25, 2012
just checked amazon and they have them but they are 60 bucks after shipping, that is just a crazy price. but it could change any time tho.