Raspberry Pi v.2 model B

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
Yes. It appears they sold out fast. Unless you want to pay overbloated prices on amazon and ebay. Unless someone knows where they have them in stock?

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
Im in UK and still seem readily available
I use company called PiHut
In the US the cheapest option I found was ebay around $46 free shipping. That's what I get for being indecisive! But I can wait...

Alien0

May 22, 2014
SA
Got my Rasp Pi 2 this week and installed OSMC [Raspbmc]
Kodi is working great, navigation is extremely fast compared to my old model B. It's like using xbmc on my Windows 7 pc;)

For those ordering this new Pi, please make sure you get the correct power supply. If not then there's a small rainbow coloured square that will appear on the TV screen, top right corner of the screen. Everything will still work but the rainbow coloured square is an indication of the wrong voltage supplied to the board.

Other than that Kodi works great as usual on this new Pi

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Yeah Alien0 is right !!
Apparently the rainbow square indicator was added on the the B+ but it hardly ever showed.
It seems the raspberry pi 2 is less tolerant and needs nearly exactly 5volts. They also recommend a amperage of 2amps which is 2000mA.
Usb chargers have a tolerance of a few percentage either + / - when they are made, so its a unless really. Many people may need a new power supply when upgrading.
Read a report yesterday where a someone was using an official ipad 2.1amp (2100mA) charger and they were receiving the rainbow square. When they measured the voltage at the board it was measuring 4.88 volts. This would have been exceptable on the old b+ and is well within the exceptable percentage range.

Anyway if anyone needs a new psu I would reccomend this one, it actually sends out 5.2 volts to allow for voltage drop its also still within the exceptable range.

Think is only for Eu and UK though.
Code:
https://www.modmypi.com/5v-2A-modmypi-raspberry-pi-power-supply
Or the official PSU
Code:
http://swag.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-universal-power-supply
Also Millhouse mentioned this yesterday:-
Milhouse' pid='1918800' dateline='1423334221 said:
I've found that when running the GUI at 1080 with high colour depth and higher quality fanart/imageres settings in advancedsettings.xml, gpu_mem=320 is necessary to eliminate resource issues.
So my new overclock settings are:

arm_freq=1000
sdram_freq=500
core_freq=500
over_voltage=2
gpu_men=320
force_turbo=1

Last edited:

scottct1

Dec 26, 2014
Got mine yesterday and loaded OpenElec on it. There is a major improvement in speed over my old B+. When using Na*i-X when I click on anything the lists appear almost instantly when before listings too sometimes around 20 seconds.

Only issue I have is many of my movies which I ripped from DVD are showing up with a grey pixelated screen, when they played fine on my B+. Not sure what is causing this.

I am not sure if its because of hardware acceleration. Or because I didn't yet purchase the MPEG decoder for the PI yet as I did on my other unit.

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Only issue I have is many of my movies which I ripped from DVD are showing up with a grey pixelated screen, when they played fine on my B+. Not sure what is causing this.

I am not sure if its because of hardware acceleration. Or because I didn't yet purchase the MPEG decoder for the PI yet as I did on my other unit.
Maybe, I've heard that now the default player for Kodi is the dvdplayer so it will try and play mpegs files via software decoding. I suppose you could see if the files play using the omxplayer if it doesn't then you know for definite is a codec license

Last edited:

Eldorado

Staff member
May 7, 2012
If you ripped them to ISO, meaning they are in MPEG2 format, then yes absolutely you need an mpeg license

Hasn't the default player always been dvdplayer?

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
I'm not 100% sure, but I think, the default goto player on older versions of Openelec on the raspberry pi was the omxplayer, however you could choose to play videos through dvdplayer if you required.

I did read that since Helix, the raspberry pi now uses dvdplayer by default,unless you specifically ask it to use the omxplayer.

However I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Dunkle

Jun 5, 2013
I have various files that would not play on my Pi 1 without the codec but play fine on Pi 2 without buying it

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Yes, again I could be wrong, but I believe that the omxplayer doesn't use software decoding where as the dvdplayer does, so now in Kodi if I was right it should be able to play sd mpegs without the codecs automatically but........ It's heavier on the system, and I've read it can result in stuttering playback on pi v.1 I think the pi v.2 can handle it slightly better.

But again I'm not sure on this, I'll ask the question on the openelec forums :)

Last edited:

splatee

Aug 28, 2013
Hello,

I just ordered a Pi2 to replace my Pi1. I was wondering if it is necessary to run Openelec off USB on the Pi2? I am currently running Openelec off usb 3.0 flash drive and running on an overclock also. It looks like from what i am reading everyone is just running the OS off the micro sd card.

Thank you

bromerzz

Nov 9, 2012
Cyprus
I have usb setups on pi B and straight sd on v2 pi.
The straight setup on v2 Pi seems to work quicker than the usb method with turbo overclock. for now I shan't bother using usb method on v2 pi.

lowridin_guy

May 10, 2012
Got my pi2 in the mail yesterday. Loaded OpenElec 5.0.3 on a NOOB's class 4 card and I have to say that it is FAST!!
Just as fast as my OUYA and I'd say faster than my other quad-core android box.
This was at stock OC as well. I did not touch the config file....... yet.

I am VERY impressed!!

splatee

Aug 28, 2013
Ok i have had my Pi2 setup for a few days now and overall i have been impressed. I have it set up with a Samsung micro sd and a Sandisk Extreme usb 3.0. I am running it overclocked "Turbo".

arm_freq=1000
core_freq=500
sdram_freq=500
over_voltage=2

Comparing it to my Pi1 that has the same setup but with a Tanscend Jetflash 700 3.0 it is a lot snappier. Reading libraries it is almost instant. Also comparing it to an Amazon Fire Tv Stick it is just a fast. I did have to swap out the power supply i was using from my Pi1 because i was getting the "low voltage" rainbow colored icon popping up in the upper right corner.