Raspi 1 Assistance with streaming

gringosteve

Apr 1, 2015
Hi All,

Was hoping you could help. I own an original RasPi (256Mb model). It has been sat gathering dust for a while until i heard about the capabilities of Kodi regarding torrent streaming.. I wanted in on this action ;)

Im running the latest version of OpenElec (updated last night), and have tried the following addons:

• Genesis
  • Pulsar
  • Torrenter

So far i haven't been able to get a single stream to work. The closest seems to be Genesis. It starts to open the stream and then freezes after some time. I have sat and waited for 15-20 mins hoping it is just slow, but it seems to do nothing.

Torrenter just errors with a script error

Pulsar seems to start the buffering process... gets to 100% and then..nothing

My Pi is using an 8gb SD card with no other external storage. I am wondering if it is a storage issue, or if i am missing some key component to make it all work. Any pointers for a streaming noob would be great. I am not an IT noob.. I am a solution architect so design systems for a living.

Cheers

Steve

gringosteve

Apr 1, 2015
I have bought a new 80 mb/s SD card to see if it is storage speed that is killing my Pi. I'm not convinced of the transfer speed of the current SD card, i used a spare one i had lying about as my original card running RaspBMC died a while ago..

alistairbint

Aug 16, 2014
Hi @gringosteve you will probably find the original model A raspi will struggle I would recommend as a minimum the model B. Even that would struggle unless you overclock it to turbo settings and you should also try the USB install method that speeds it up an awful lot.

Good luck

grousebeater

Dec 5, 2014
Hi @gringosteve you should do the usb install method all you need to do it is a small sd card & a usb 3.00 stick, you will find the tutorial on line it will boost speed and like said before you overclock which is easy if your running raspianxbmc its in the settings just nudge the up a bit at a time.
Regards

lowridin_guy

May 10, 2012
I'd also check your power supply and I'd recommend something with at LEAST 1amp.

Also, I would personally recommend using Raspbmc (OSMC) for the 256MB pi. I don't know why, but I haven't been able to get any recent releases of OE to work properly on a 256mb pi. I use OE on all my 512mb pi's and my pi2 but I've only had good luck with Raspbmc for the 256mb versions.

gringosteve

Apr 1, 2015
Thanks everyone. Going to try the new SD card tonight and overclock to 1Ghz. If that doesn't work I'm ordering a quad core Pi 2.

Do Kodi addons work ok on OSMC?

gringosteve

Apr 1, 2015
OSMC and class 10 sd did the trick. genesis works but the whole experience is sloooow. Time to go for a pi 2. Thanks for all the help