RD buffering issues

Maverickz

Dec 20, 2013
RESOLVED: RD buffering issues

I finally broke down and got RD, so far I am not impressed. You do get more links, but for TV Shows these "extra" links seem to be 90% sometimes even 100% duplicates of the free links and have the exact same buffering issues as their free counterparts. For movies there seems to be more unique links but a lot of those have buffering issues, although you can sometimes find one that doesn't.

I thought maybe my ISP (Comcast) was blocking and throttling links, so I tried using a VPN (Anonymizer VPN trial) with the same results. I have a 150mbps connection, hard wired LAN (not wifi) and can stream Netflix at 4k and Prime at 4k with no issues.

Am I doing something wrong or does RD just not work as well it it apparently used to?

EDIT: I found a solution:
RD buffering issues

Last edited:

catnap

Nov 4, 2015
with that kind of net speed 1080p and 5.1 audio shouldnt be no buffering,i only have 6.7mbs and i watches 720p and 5.1 audio without any buffering.my tv is only 720p.im also hardwire which helps with buffering.in my opinion.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
I have to say that it must be at your end. RD has no buffering on my end. Even if the links are dupes, they are premium vs the free link. Premium has no (or very little) buffering.

Could also have to do with the addon you are using.

ideboedyourmom

Apr 8, 2017
I have some issues with RD as well. It seems that through ********* for example, I cant rewind without restarting and then cant fast-forward to where I was to begin with (again, just restarts). With similar standard links, I dont have this problem. And yes, I do notice that it was pause and buffer on some things.. which makes it totally unwatchable. Just like before, I dont have the problem with standard links. Also, it does not always happen. So its hard to say what causes it.

Maverickz

Dec 20, 2013
I have to say that it must be at your end. RD has no buffering on my end. Even if the links are dupes, they are premium vs the free link. Premium has no (or very little) buffering.

Could also have to do with the addon you are using.
Not sure what it could be on my end. I can DL content from a foreign UseNet server at 48+ mbps all day every day sometimes even up to 60 or 70mbps. Streams though never break like 2-3mbps with dips down to like 100k causing buffering pauses. I even got a new paid VPN (Private Internet Access) and can still DL at 40+ mbps but still can't stream so it's not my ISP blocking/throttling, cable modem, or network issue on my end. I have tried multiple Kodi addons (although primarily ********), and even ********* TV on a FireTV box(with and without VPN).

I have been trying to watch a particular show the last couple of days and with or without a VPN, NONE of the HD RD links even try to play, they just skip down the list to the first non-RD link.

Any suggestions?

Maverickz

Dec 20, 2013
So after spending a lot of time digging, hunting and experimenting. I finally found a solution, at least for me. It turns out that Kodi was artificially limiting the available bandwidth it was able to use.

The solution is to create a file called "advancedsettings.xml" in the "\Kodi\userdata" folder (location will vary by Operating System).

Once created open the file in a text editor (notepad works) and paste in the following, save it and restart Kodi:

<advancedsettings>
<cache>
<readfactor>30</readfactor>
</cache>
</advancedsettings>
This value controls how fast Kodi can refill the cache and the default is 4. You can play with the value. If you set it too low you will get lots of buffering, if you set it too high it could potentially use all your available bandwidth. I am now seeing streaming network speeds into the 20-30MBps range and no longer having the buffering issues.

IF you are using PC to stream (NOT a FireTV or other low storage space device) you can also optionally allow the whole file to be cached to your HDD by using the following settings in the above mentioned file. I do NOT recommend this setting on any device without at least 16-20GB of FREE SPACE as a BARE MINIMUM. If you can do this, it can improve your ability "rewind" and if you rewind a lot it will save bandwidth by not having to re-download content already removed from a memory cache.

<advancedsettings>
<cache>
<buffermode>2</buffermode>
<memorysize>0</memorysize>
<readfactor>30</readfactor>
</cache>
</advancedsettings>

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Kodi Support 0
T Kodi Support 2
R Kodi Support 6