[RELEASE] Music Box

jockywilson

Jan 8, 2014
Anyone else getting Error:Vk.com returned the following error: Captcha needed with both vk.com or youtube as media source?

Dam0

Aug 24, 2013
um yeah, just went to re-check out this great addon, and i get same msges

hopefully can be fixed easily.

D.

techdealer

Jan 15, 2014
Anyone else getting Error:Vk.com returned the following error: Captcha needed with both vk.com or youtube as media source?
You are not using a Vk.com account, right?
The add-on comes with a predefined vk.com token, but as there are many people using it I think at certain times of day it can reach the limit of requests. If you use your own vk.com account this error should not appear.

Last edited:

Hinnak321

Dec 16, 2012
@techdealer: what do you you think about vk? Do you use it for anything else except music? I m using it for maybe three years now, the first two years only for music. Then one day it blows my mind again, when I found jevons.ru (vk group) for football highlights, several adult communities, sites for music videos or just the way how groups work. For example the MTV group, they simply create one music album per week, put mp3s in good quality sorted by actual uk single charts in a playlist and I can just go their page with liquid bear, press play - uk-single charts, voila. I often wonder myself why there are addons for vimeo, dailymotion, YouTube of course, but vk has the most sh*tty addon of all with near no functions. Isn't that a project for you? Now you know vk api like a boss :) regards

techdealer

Jan 15, 2014
Vk is a very interesting social network. In addiction to the typical social features (frienship, photo sharing, pms, groups,etc...) it also has a large catalog of music files and a huge number of movies/series in hd.
Personally, I use it mainly for music though sometimes I also watch videos from there. As my native language is not English, the lack of subtitles in my language on the videos make me use less this feature.

After a small search, I found another vk.com xbmc addon with a very professional look at http://asdevel.com/en/products/89/ . To be perfect just need an English translation (if not already). Unfortunately I found no link to download, seems it is only distributed with OpenHD boxes.

I'm not planning to create any standalone addon for the vk.com site at this moment, since I use the site mainly for music and as there are already two addons I think it is not worth investing my time into it.

Last edited:

iCanuck

Developer
Mar 19, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Awesome addon! I use Musicbox on my iphone for all my music and was hoping for a xbmc addon and here it is!

I was wondering if you could add a feature that shows the song quality. That way you don't end up downloading a bunch of low quality songs.

nickshe89

Aug 7, 2012
Vk is a very interesting social network. In addiction to the typical social features (frienship, photo sharing, pms, groups,etc...) it also has a large catalog of music files and a huge number of movies/series in hd.
Personally, I use it mainly for music though sometimes I also watch videos from there. As my native language is not English, the lack of subtitles in my language on the videos make me use less this feature.

After a small search, I found another vk.com xbmc addon with a very professional look at http://asdevel.com/en/products/89/ . To be perfect just need an English translation (if not already). Unfortunately I found no link to download, seems it is only distributed with OpenHD boxes.

I'm not planning to create any standalone addon for the vk.com site at this moment, since I use the site mainly for music and as there are already two addons I think it is not worth investing my time into it.
hi thanks you for great add-on i want say dont give up on this add-on cos lots of music to pick and i get this one work for me then other music add-on i hope add more things on it music wise

thanks

sattekop

Developer
Sep 21, 2012
Hi Techdealer, great new toy!
Please note that in your sentence what music box is it should be Through and not Thought. Just my small contribution.

Question: Switching between audio and video for playing in the app goes via Settings in the menu, but you then first land in accounts and have to move to general and then media source before you can switch between audio in vk and video in you tube. Would you be able in the menu just to build a button to switch between audio and video? (I do not ming which one you program for start-up, audio is fine)

Last edited:

Hinnak321

Dec 16, 2012
Thx for your statement techdealer. If anyone is interested in the "most sh*tty addon" I spoke of you can take a look here

https://bitbucket.org/Shchvova/vk-xbmc-plugin

I call it like i did in comparison to the YouTube addon etc. For now I am really glad to have it (if the dev should read about my opinion - i love you guy ;-) )

techdealer

Jan 15, 2014
Hi Techdealer, great new toy!
Please note that in your sentence what music box is it should be Through and not Thought. Just my small contribution.
I'm not very good at english but after analyzing the phrase and read the page http://gmat-grammar.blogspot.com/2006/06/although-vs-though-vs-even-though.html I think that the correct form is "even though" or "although".

Question: Switching between audio and video for playing in the app goes via Settings in the menu, but you then first land in accounts and have to move to general and then media source before you can switch between audio in vk and video in you tube. Would you be able in the menu just to build a button to switch between audio and video? (I do not ming which one you program for start-up, audio is fine)
Do not know if you checked, but if you choose vk.com (audio) as media source there will be an entry in the context menu to open the video (note: in the current "stable" version is broken but should be fixed in the next update). Do you think this "option" is not practical? Personally I usually use it to avoid switch between modes.

I was wondering if you could add a feature that shows the song quality. That way you don't end up downloading a bunch of low quality songs.
As vk.com does not return the quality of the files in API responses, the only way to know the exact/average quality is downloading/playing the file.

Found on the internet a formula to calculate the approximate bitrate using the size and duration of music:
bitrate (kbps) = ((music size in bytes)*8)/duration in s/1000)
The duration is given by the api and I think I can get the size sending a request and read only the headers of the audio file.
There is however a problem, the formula does not work for audio files without constant bitrate and I have no way of knowing if the file is constant or no without downloading/playing.
I do not think it's worth adding this feature and if I eventually add (I'm not sure), will be called from the context menu and will be disabled by default. What do you think, you really need this function?

Yigo

Dec 25, 2012
Great great music addon , i succeeded to hook my daughter to xbmc through this addon , so thanks a lot , the favorite option is returning script error any body else had it ? If no could i get assistance to be able to save to favorites .
TIA

enen92

Dec 13, 2012
Portugal
Great great music addon , i succeeded to hook my daughter to xbmc through this addon , so thanks a lot , the favorite option is returning script error any body else had it ? If no could i get assistance to be able to save to favorites .
TIA
I tried with songs / albums and it's working fine. You maybe want to share a log because the problem might be with a specific song/album and it's terrible hard for others to trace/solve.

cheers

iCanuck

Developer
Mar 19, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
I'm not very good at english but after analyzing the phrase and read the page http://gmat-grammar.blogspot.com/2006/06/although-vs-though-vs-even-though.html I think that the correct form is "even though" or "although".

Do not know if you checked, but if you choose vk.com (audio) as media source there will be an entry in the context menu to open the video (note: in the current "stable" version is broken but should be fixed in the next update). Do you think this "option" is not practical? Personally I usually use it to avoid switch between modes.

As vk.com does not return the quality of the files in API responses, the only way to know the exact/average quality is downloading/playing the file.

Found on the internet a formula to calculate the approximate bitrate using the size and duration of music:
bitrate (kbps) = ((music size in bytes)*8)/duration in s/1000)
The duration is given by the api and I think I can get the size sending a request and read only the headers of the audio file.
There is however a problem, the formula does not work for audio files without constant bitrate and I have no way of knowing if the file is constant or no without downloading/playing.
I do not think it's worth adding this feature and if I eventually add (I'm not sure), will be called from the context menu and will be disabled by default. What do you think, you really need this function?
Well I downloaded 10 different songs yesterday and only 2 were of decent quality.

How does the modzilla firefox plugin obtain the quality?

Also maybe instead of quality, we could just see the file size. As I find most songs that aren't of good quality are around 2-3mb and the good quality ones are 6mb and up.

Madchester313

Sep 12, 2013
Hi I use this on
My iphone so was excited when I found it last night.

Is there any chance of adding ge ability to queue song an creat a playlist that would be great thanks. Great work

techdealer

Jan 15, 2014
Version 0.0.6 - (14/08/2014)
* Fixed "Search Music Video" context menu option
* Added Last.fm User Playlists to the 'User Space'
* Added 'Song Info' option to the context menu

[HR][/HR]

Tip:
With the addition of the Last.fm User Playlists Support and using a 3rd party site called Soundiiz, you can now convert your playlists from music services like Deezer, Spotify, Grooveshark, YouTube, Qobuz, Soundcloud and Radio to Last.fm and use them in Music Box.

The success rate varies according to the songs and services. The page to convert playlists is:http://soundiiz.com/#/converter

Pro Tip:
You can convert playlists that are not in your account using the Soundiiz API. Detailed information on the following page: http://soundiiz.com/#/api/v1/about

Pratical exemple:
to import the playlist:
Code:
http://www.deezer.com/playlist/[COLOR="#008000"]527730075[/COLOR]
you just need to open on the browser:
Code:
http://soundiiz.com/api/v1/widget/import/form/[COLOR="#FF0000"]deezer[/COLOR]/[COLOR="#008000"]527730075[/COLOR]
Ps: @iCanuck firefox plugin obtain the quality with the formula that I posted. I added a context menu entry called 'Song info' that shows the duration, size and estimated bitrate. Is disabled by default but can be enabled in the settings.

iCanuck

Developer
Mar 19, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
I'm getting script error when trying to download now. Streaming works fine though.

I'm on Gotham 13.1 and i'm logged in with my account.

P.S. The song info works great, the font is a bit small though.

Thanks again!

layziefj

May 12, 2012
First off, awesome plugin.

-One tiny thing .. the lastfm showed login info as, email, then password. Using my email login didnt work, however using my username login did. So maybe need to change the wording.

-feature request.. possibly an add to library option, for artists/albums/playlists. instead of a download option maybe. Just how lambda's genesis and various other video addons do it. But if this could be done for music I wouldnt need to subscribe to any premium account anywhere. :)

Madchester313

Sep 12, 2013
First off, awesome plugin.

-One tiny thing .. the lastfm showed login info as, email, then password. Using my email login didnt work, however using my username login did. So maybe need to change the wording.

-feature request.. possibly an add to library option, for artists/albums/playlists. instead of a download option maybe. Just how lambda's genesis and various other video addons do it. But if this could be done for music I wouldnt need to subscribe to any premium account anywhere. :)
I also think this would complete this addon would be great addition if u could save music or creat playlist and queue music an then let it play.

MP3 streams has good feature you can play album or browse albums then add or queue individule songs

Thanks