Resizing raspberry pi img in windows

Gibbio

Dec 21, 2012
i have a 8gb card that is actually 7.39 and MarkRich image that was just created is 7.41 so i could size it down just slightly to make it work i take it?

nothere

Banned
Nov 25, 2012
confirmed. resized my 8gb image (which wouldnt fit on my second 8gb sd card) to 7gb, wrote the image to my second sd card and seems to boot fine.

Thanks slatri for this brilliant find.

Last edited:

Gibbio

Dec 21, 2012
something isnt working right i tried it and it says " This appears to not be an ext*filesystem check resize file only to resize this file or use other tools"

If I check the box that says resize file only no resize2fs I get a bunch of error msgs... any thoughts? i think I will try and another lap top and report back

Gibbio

Dec 21, 2012
Well under the other option option I stated above "resize file only no resize2fs" it seems to resize the image but it wont when I pop it in the RPI it wont load past the opening screen i think it says something about the image not being mounted i think.

Gibbio

Dec 21, 2012
Ya I agree for sure.. It seemed so simple but I just couldn't get it working right is there some sort of formatting with it I read in the file that your system needs to be ext2 or ext3 I think this is a little over my knowledge level I think lol :eek:

nothere

Banned
Nov 25, 2012
OK. Not sure how this works but I'm not sure its resizing the image correctly. The image boot fine, that's all i could test last night, before nodding off, but now i have looked a little closer the image must be corrupt some how. It hangs and some addons won't run, whereas they do on the non shrinked image

MarkRich

Banned
May 13, 2012
man, they really screw people on the sd card sizes, I thought 7.41 was low, but it was a cheap card so I expected it lol

My AData and Transcend cards are 7.5 and 7.51

You may need to make sure you unmount the partition before resizing, not sure if the software mounts it or not. If someone can find me a small card around 7.3GB I'd be more than happy to create a new image for a smaller card

slatri

May 10, 2012
You can guess i'm sure
TopoResize
Open tclkit
Select create new image and select the file
Use the slider to select the size
I used this to resize Mark's 8gb img to fit on a 7.3 gb card. Where can I upload it to I tried dropbox and it is too large

slatri

May 10, 2012
You can guess i'm sure
Nope I forgot to add select none for the ext. Then you can check with property to make sure it is resized. I had to do it with tuxens img becasue I got cheap trancend cards and it would not fit. it wrote the img fine and loaded straight up when I put the card in the pi