Restarting and adding back an existing OPENELEC (KODI) configuration

daflyboys

Aug 27, 2013
When I initially set up my Pi 2, I didn't realize that when I tried to swap out my OS I would end up installing two. I only have an 8 GB card and can't buy a new one presently. Currently I have Raspbian and OE installed and have no use for Raspbian. I think I'll be able to reformat my card (once my reader/writer shows up) pretty easily and add either NOOBS lite or straight OE back to the card (just load the most recent image, right?), but I don't want to have to reconfigure my entrire KODI set up all over again.

Can someone help me with the steps I'll need to accomplish this if possible? Thanks.

P.S. I have no idea of what I'm doing with SSH at this point. I have messed around successfully with FTP's and the original Xbox in the past, but for now I'm pretty clueless with SSH. I'm not even seeing the RP2 on my network, though I did get it to join my workgroup (do I need to put in the IP number of my hub PC above the workgroup field?)

Last edited:

daflyboys

Aug 27, 2013
Ok...answered my own question, so just posting in case someone needs this. I know little about Raspberry Pi's and didn't get it to get into all of the development stuff.... just wanted a good and relatively inexpensive KODI friendy device to hook up to my TV. So simply here's what I did:

Went into the System/OPENELEC tab and performed a backup of my KODI setup and settings that's built into the system. It then puts it into the root/storage/backup folder. (note: the 'backup' subfolder is created after the first backup is performed, otherwise it won't be found). It saves is to a <.tar> file named after the date and time that it was saved.

Copied the produced <.tar> file to my PC desktop via WinSCP.

Performed a reboot of my RPi2 via holding the LEFT SHIFT button on my keyboard while the RPi2 started rebooting.

The NOOBS menu appeared and I made sure that no other OS was selected other than OPENELEC.

Installed and OPENELEC booted to a virgin state.

Went back into the OPENELEC tab noted above. Performed another backup so that the folder would appear.

Opened WinSCP on my PC and searched for the root/storage/backup folder. Copied over the previously saved OPENELEC KODI setup (.tar file) from my PC desktop.

Went back to OPENELEC tab and restore the backup.... took less then an minute once activated.

Last edited: