Rpi 2 Offical Openelec realeses with updated librtmp

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Rpi 1 &a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a m p; 2 /Cubox-i Offical Openelec releases with updated librtmp

Since the librtmp update has recently become a little more tricky for raspberry pi users. I've decided to have a go at updating the librtmp at root, it's a bit messy and was only really intended for my own benefit, however it works..

The modified releases below have been downloaded directly from the openelec website however openelec doesn't come with the latest patched librtmp for legal reasons.
Legal - OpenELEC

So Basically all I have done is unsquashed the SYSTEM file removed the librtmp files and replaced them with the latest ksv patched versions written by superceleron and shani from 2-2-2015 which can be found on the official librtmp help thread at the .org

I've then squashed the folder back up to create a new SYSTEM file created a new SYSTEM.md5 checksum (for the tar versions) and replaced the SYSTEM file with the new patched one.

all this was fairly simple and was all done on the raspberry pi 2 using Raspbian.

Below is a link to my mediafire folder there are currently versions for :

1) Raspberry Pi & Pi2
2) Cubox-I Hummingboard
3) Generic Openelec (x86_64) BigThanks to jokster !!! (thank him on post #44 I've added mega link at bottom of this post)

Most versions are .tar version which can be directly placed in the .update folder to update your existing installation. There is the diskimg file for pi2 which will need to be unrar and burnt to a sd card as normal. This is mainly only used for new installs

Code:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/4say9iigw9t79/Openelec_updated_librtmp
Apart from the above these are Virgin images with no addons apart from a different librtmp they are exactly the same versions you would expect to download from the openelec website.

I have tested these before posting. However it is always worth creating and keeping a backup before upgrading :)

Big thanks to all the guys involved in creating the new librtmp files.

####################################

Special thanks to Jokster who has recently compiled Openelec Generic 5.0.5 (x86_64) with a updated librtmp.
(Thank him on post #44)

OPENELEC GENERIC 5.05 (x86_64)
Code:
https://mega.co.nz/#!ec10CRqR!a07vwqhorNsM3gTbfH54cKMtzI0BrOsS5FUufX-Yh0k
Big thanks to jokster again (thank him on post #49) who has compiled a new version with updated librtmp for Generic users

OPENELEC GENERIC 5.0.6 (x86_64)
Code:
https://mega.co.nz/#!iBMRUJyQ!CfVRySDU_ptTmn2s65lD3J6p1XT9JJaemgo8bwBXqv8
Jokster has kindly updated Generic( say thanks on post #69)

OPENELEC GENERIC 5.0.7
Code:
https://mega.co.nz/#!uMclHB4Y!N2nF8R0ou_7ndOKDTlQxhD72r--3yraWNO9ariahahU
Jokester updated Generic (post #79)

OPENELEC GENERIC 5.0.8 (x86_64)
Code:
https://mega.co.nz/#!nRMTgRbS!hbwB--DWlz2Ar2GiJ4b5KSMCsfReuaMqKuteBB7_kmg
superceleron has kindly provided us with the lattest RC for generic_x64 with his latest lib... (show your thanks on post #114)
OPENELEC GENERIC X86_64 5.95.5
Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ho5appp3obkh03t/OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-5.95.5_modified.system
Thanks superceleron !!

Superceleron to the rescue Thanks (post 128) !!
RPi1 = OpenELEC-RPi.arm-6.0.0_modified
Generic x64 = OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-6.0.0_modified

RPi2 is on the invisable folder so is not needed!
Superceleron has now added updated SYSTEM files for Rpi and Rpi2 6.0.1 check out his folder here...
Code:
http://bit.ly/SCLibrtmp[/url]
I've also currently uploading 6.0.1 imx freescale version to my folder

Last edited:

DSSNL

Oct 15, 2014
Nice work, but when you update to the new 5.0.5 version you will be losing it all then?

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Nice work, but when you update to the new 5.0.5 version you will be losing it all then?
No, when using the *tar file it's will act the same as when you normally update when you use the openelec update tool.

However you will have to manually download the tar version above and put it in the update folder.

There's 2 ways of official ways of doing this:

1) put your pi's ip address in Windows explorer you will " see an update folder" put the tar file in there, then reboot.

2) make a folder called .update (the dot is important) in the storage folder. then stick the tar file there, then reboot.

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Updating_OpenELEC

DSSNL

Oct 15, 2014
Great work, but now I am on 5.0.5 so when I put those 4 files in the .update folder I am going back to version 5.0.3 and when I update again to 5.0.5?.......is that possible?

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Great work, but now I am on 5.0.5 so when I put those 4 files in the .update folder I am going back to version 5.0.3 and when I update again to 5.0.5?.......is that possible?
Sorry, my error the files are actually 5.0.5 I'll correct the post :)

But yes, doing that method will force openelec to upgrade, downgrade, or in your case, it will update but stay on the same version number, it will have no visual difference apart from obviously having a updated librtmp.

It all depends on which version you are currently on, if that makes sense.

Last edited:

Brok3n

Mar 8, 2014
Awesome, been waiting for this. You da maaaaaaan :)
Busy at the mo but gonna install this tomoz for sure. Thanks.

DSSNL

Oct 15, 2014
So when I download the tar and upload the 4 files in the .update folder nothing will break and librtmp is up to date :) ??

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Yes that's right, either put the 4 files in the .update folder or you can put the whole tar file in the .update folder if you like.
Openelec will then update will the new version.

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Did the update and how can I check it has the latest lbrtmp?
You will need to find a live stream that wouldn't play before....

I've been testing on shani Zem.tv (found in fusion)
It's got a Sports section within the addon inside this you will find "P3G.TV " all of these require an updated rtmp.

The trouble is most of these are down, the only one live last night was "Ten Cricket P3G.Tv"
:)

Try the live Cricket matches under the same section too at this exact moment in time a few of them are live..

Last edited:

haakie

Feb 19, 2014
Thanks!
One question: if there will be a new update from openelec.....will this be wiped?

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Thanks!
One question: if there will be a new update from openelec.....will this be wiped?
Yep might be worth turning off auto update on the openelec settings, if you want to keep the updated librtmp.
I probably won't modify every openelec update, as I've not always got time, but I will add more. Unless of course, the pros decide to start releasing official builds, or Red Penguin or Super Celeron comes back and releases new updated librtmp that don't have to be statically linked.
If that happens we can go back to the old method. :)

Last edited:

Brok3n

Mar 8, 2014
Yep might be worth turning off auto update on the openelec settings, if you want to keep the updated librtmp.
I probably won't modify every openelec update, as I've not always got time, but I will add more. Unless of course, the pros decide to start releasing official builds, or Red Penguin comes back and releases new updated librtmp that don't have to be statically linked on start-up.
If that happens we can go back to the old method. :)
Haha but....... For those of us that are not able to do the old method or even know what that is then you are a savour. I personally don't need every build to be compiled with the librtmp but every so often if you threw one together it would be perfecto :). On and end users preference ( like me ) then the unpack and throw into update folder, reboot is a god send ;) Thank you.

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Thanks very much invisable. I'll try it tonight. You're definitely the pi master around here. :)
Thanks, but im just picking a few little bits up, honestly this is all recycled information from reading other threads and post from Tuxen, Millhouse, Popcornmix and all the other true pi masters lol ;)

Last edited:

jokster

Staff member
Jan 3, 2013
Tír na nÓg
Invisable mate could you write a quick guide on how to this yourself?
I am a complete Linux noob but fancy trying this to get a generic build for my nuc.
I'm guessing I'll need to set up a virtual machine or USB install or Ubuntu or the likes. But I've no idea how to install the binaries for squash tools never mind actually getting the job done lol.

Libtrmp is the only reason I haven't updated my nuc so if I could get this sorted I'd be a happy monkey :)

jokster

Staff member
Jan 3, 2013
Tír na nÓg
good man that you are!

can this be done from within OE/putty?
Code:
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Mksquashfs_Add-on_how-to
mind you i cant seem to find the addon :(

Last edited:

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Same hear, I looked at that and also couldn't find anything.
Also sent you a pm with really brief instructions.