RSS Feed for latest plugin problems

May 6, 2012
England
So after mentioning it in a previous thread I thought I'd better start a whole new thread for this.

Ideally it would be nice if each addon could have some kind of RSS feed integrated which lets the user know if there are any known issues (maybe website down or plugin temporarily broken) but that sounds like a lot of hard work! If anyone knows a simple way of doing it then it would be great to see implemented but if not then how about a standard RSS Feed showing all the latest known errors for all addons? Users could choose to have this as their default RSS feed on the homepage and it might make it a little easier for people to diagnose their problems and maybe cut down on the amount of duplicate posts.

I'm open to ideas if anyone is interested?

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
I think we would get the same amount of questions. The only way IMHO is like Eldorado proposed give them the error explanation when they start the plugin.

May 6, 2012
England
Eldorado's idea defiinately sound the best solution if all the addons could adopt this format however how about the following ideas? Please bear in mind I'm just throwing ideas out there at the moment so don't shoot me down just yet!

1) We create a "current status" page which has a list of all the popular addons and is simply updated when one of us is aware of a bug or change on website. This could also have details of a possible fix. With this page up and running I presume it would be fairly straight forward to scrape the information about all addons and show the results with an "addon status" plugin/script. I'm thinking a current addon status page would be welcome on the site (especially for n00by n00bs) and to have the information there at the press of a button in xbmc would hopefully clear up a lot of issues with duplicate posts.

2) Create an individual RSS feed for all the major addons and use the RSS Feed addon to show each feed. I'm pretty sure I've come across an addon that can display loads of feeds and also allows the user to click on them and show the content of the feed (opposed to just the headlines so ideal for extra info such as temp fix solutitions). Sorry can't remember what the RSS addon is called but I'm pretty sure it exists - I think it's either on the official xbmc.org or passion repo.

nudel

May 6, 2012
Melbourne, AU
I would sure use an RSS feed...

One could always use Twitter to post status updates (like many other apps/sites do as the first line of communication for current or breaking issues). For example, XBMC HUB already has a Twitter account and Twitter accounts are already RSS-capable (though not widely known), e.g. the RSS feed for XBMC HUB Twitter account is http://twitter.com/statuses/user_timeline/501093154.rss

However, probably the bigger issue is that such a service would need to be administered and maintained.

Eldorado

Staff member
May 7, 2012
Was just going over this idea with a co-worker, he's also an xbmc user and likes the idea.. he was off work the whole time during the metadata issue and came in complaining about the script errors :)

Basically what I think needed to be done is a new component created that all addons can use, configurable by the addon developer, and needs the following functionality:

- read from a source (ie. twitter, rss feed), configurable by the addon developer
- only display when a new news item is available, needs to track users last viewed news item
- ability to view all historical news items
- my ideal solution would have the news popup in a text box similar to the change log is viewed, the addon developer can specify in their own addon where and when the news will popup, but most logical time is on addon init

One thing to note is that twitter and rss feeds likely won't give us ample amount of space to write what we might need to, along with proper text formatting

eg. In the case where metahandlers was broken, some instructions would have been required to tell the user what to do

I can't think of anything creative off the top of my head, but maybe if we could host even just a basic html page here at xmbchub that this component could read? XBMC obeys html formatting, so might be most ideal.. for starters I was just going to put an html page on github and read from there :)

I like the idea of having addon specific news, as well as I guess we could call it 'XBMCHub News' if there's something global that needs to be notified, aka once again the metahandlers problem... so maybe additional ability to pull in from multiple news sources

And lastly, it might be even a good idea to bring a discussion like this to the XBMC forums for more exposure and hopefully developer input, got some smart guys over there!

Last edited:

Eldorado

Staff member
May 7, 2012
Bumping this one up as the topic is coming up again

This *should* be a full out separate module that addons can easily incorporate, if anyone has time to start dev on it.. I have a good idea on how to go about doing it, but it's summer time right now.. so yeah.. :)

Bstrdsmkr

Mar 16, 2012
I dunno, I kind of like the limited space of Twitter. I don't think there is a practical way to give full instructions from an addon (they'd presumably have to leave the addon to apply the fix). I know I have a short attention span so I think just a short description with a shortened link could do well.

As a quick and easy stop-gap measure, what if we setup an RSS feed here which includes the items from the xbmc.org feed? The necessary file could be placed on Fusion to replace the stock rss file. Novice users wouldn't need to learn anything new and wouldn't loose access to the official feed. Advanced users could just add the RSS feed to their current feeds manually. I also pretty much live in Google Reader =)

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Nice idea simple and choose able.. I changed a lot of noob users rss to the local news because they did not understand or care about the existing one.. Heh.

Last edited:
May 6, 2012
England
Some kind of RSS would be good. I have one setup for Xbox users which announces new addon releases and updates which seems to be popular. Obviously you don't need one with "addon updates" as mainbranch xbmc auto updates but maybe something with latest bugs and new releases?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Suggestions & Feedback 0
J Video Addons 0
T Kodi Support 2